kfigueroa
Rimes9845

Dubstep takes absolutely no talent to produce and is useless.

kfigueroa
Started: 12/28/2012 Category: Arts

kfigueroa

Pro

There is no point to dub step, all it is is the sounds of machines put together. It has no value to the ear, only deafening. Musically speaking, dub step requires absolutely no talent, anyone could do it, and it would sound the same. There is no musical quality to it. There is no art, and it is pathetic. It has no actual rules, making there no way to judge its quality. It is just a bunch of annoying noises thrown together on a computer. It is sad that with all of the work that Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Kodaly, and others have put into music and the theory behind, that this work is overlooked so that people can listen to this ridiculous junk. Please explain to me how this is at all worth while.
Rimes9845

Con

I am not a fan of dubsteb but music does evolve. Every time a new genre of music pops up alot of people say it is terrible. That is because you are used to or just love another genre. I will say that it does not take as much talent to produce dubstep but it does take some! The knowledge of computers and just having a good musical ear is required. Just because you like genre A and genre A is more complex does not mean genre B is worse and useless because there are probably millions of people that like genre B. Every argument about music is the same "The music you like is terrible and takes no talent" or simply put "STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE!".
kfigueroa

Pro

Although I see where you are coming from with your thought that I am just resisting change, it is very unusual for me to dislike a kind of music. The only kinds of music that I have ever found to seriously hate is dubstep, rap, and heavy metal. Out of all of the types of music in the world, those are the only ones that I have ever found to hate, and I have heard many different types of music. I am talking about opera, country, rock, blues, jazz, classical, german folk, soul, zydeco, reggae, celtic, medieval, throat singing, polka, abstract instrumental, etc. Along with saying this though, I would like to give my reason for hating dubstep. All though you say that dubstep takes computer talent, all it takes is the computer skills that one learns in 3rd grade. Along with the lack of talent, there is no way to judge how good it is. There is no criteria that judges good from bad. I also beg to differ with your statement that it takes a good ear to make it, as it doesn't. Whether someone has a musical ear or not, they can create the same level 'quality' of dubstep as someone without a good ear.
Rimes9845

Con

Rimes9845 forfeited this round.
kfigueroa

Pro

kfigueroa forfeited this round.
Rimes9845

Con

Rimes9845 forfeited this round.
kfigueroa

Pro

kfigueroa forfeited this round.
Rimes9845

Con

Rimes9845 forfeited this round.
Posted by famer 4 years ago
famer
PRO could never be more wrong...

This is dubstep and i'm telling you now that it takes quite a lot of talent (as well as effort) to create. And I'd admit it is far from useless.
Vote Placed by Grantmac18 4 years ago
Grantmac18
kfigueroaRimes9845Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I should state that I am in complete agreement with Pro's statement; Dubstep is awful, it's difficult to label it as music, as it sounds like a bag of glass being vigourously shaken with an AOL dial-up connection occurring in the background. I find Pro's argument that there is no way to judge it's true quality, as potentially being the reason for the forfeiture. But that is mere speculation; this was an informal debate and as such I must award arguments to Pro, I simply cannot arrive near a point of understanding how these "artists" can be labelled talented. It seems to be simple enough, that a great deal of individuals are able to become successful at this; indicating, that it's quite likely not a difficult task. Perhaps I am biased but I believe Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach would weep at the sound of this noise being conned off as music. Con FF'd which caused Pro to FF, thus I award conduct to Pro
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
kfigueroaRimes9845Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Every dubstep song ive ever heard: Boooooow wub wub wub pew pew peeeeewwwww, booooowwwww wub wub wub wub WUB WUB wub PEEEEEEW Wah wah wa-ah-ahhhh dah dah duh duhhhhh LET THE BEAT DROP phoooo WAAAAA Wa-AH-AH-LA-Ah-Ah AHHHHH ah ahhh LET THE BEAT DROP, WAH AH AH AH-HA-AH Ah-ou-ah-ou-ah-ou-ah Bew Weeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww. Thats just my opinion though. Everything a tie since both sides forfeited every round
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago
famer
kfigueroaRimes9845Tied
Reasons for voting decision: More FFs on CON's side so Conduct goes to PRO. Arguments on the other hand is quite clearly goes to CON. The main problem with PRO is that they were not able to make a strong refutation to the "Just because you like genre A and genre A is more complex does not mean genre B is worse and useless because there are probably millions of people that like genre B" idea. If one does not like a music, it most certainly does not make it "useless" as the resolution states for PRO. Hence, a win to CON.