DevonNetzley
Hardcore.Pwnography

Duct tape is better than glue.

Hardcore.Pwnography

DevonNetzley

Pro

My argument starts as to where I am completly bored. Nothing to do here in JA. So my argument is that I believe duct tape is better than glue. Only for the big stuff, not the small things like a toy, stuff like that. To make my point or whatever is that duct tape is both cheaper and more effective than most glue some people I know use glue to fix things. To name a few, your bumper fell off, or the lamp broke in half. So who is my opponent to be???
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

First, I would like to provide a definition of better.
According to thefreedictionary.com, better is: One that is greater in excellence or higher in quality.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Therefore, I must prove that glue is better than or equal to duct tape, according to this definition.
Pro must prove that duct tape is better than glue.

Refutation:

1. Pro's only argument is that duct tape is cheaper and more effective than glue. I understand that duct tape is cheaper than glue. However, something being cheaper, does not mean that it is better. Most times, when a product is cheaper than another, it shows that that product is of a lower quality, as it is made from lower quality material. And as you can see, the definition of "better" includes being higher in quality. http://thegatewayonline.ca...

Furthermore, Pro also states that duct tape is more effective than glue. However, that is not true. If anything, duct tape is less effective than glue. Duct tape can easily be ripped off, and it also does not stand well in many weather conditions. With the right glue, such as crazy glue or super glue, it is much more difficult for the parts that you are sticking together, to deattach. For one thing, when you use glue, the glue is not exposed to the outside.

As you see with the picture, there is no excess glue on the outside when gluing two pieces of wood together.

As you see with this picture, when duct taping, the tape is exposed. This is inferior to the glue method, where the glue is not exposed, because this way, people can easily rip off the duct tape and take apart the things you are sticking together. Furthermore, when taping outdoor things, the tape is exposed to weather, making it weaker as time goes on, until it loses it's effectiveness.

Typically, when you duct tape or glue stuff together, you want it to stay together. Therefore, duct tape is inferior to glue because it's "stickiness" potential is much lower.

Arguments

1. Less versatile

Duct tape is less versatile than glue. For example, when doing a school project, you might need to stick pictures onto a bristol board. In this case, you would use glue, as duct tape does not really make sense. You are able to use glue in many more cases than duct tape. Therefore, glue is better than duct tape.

2. Sticking power

As I said, typically, when you duct tape or glue stuff together, you want them to stay together. I have already proven in my refutation that glue does have more resistance than duct tape, therefore being able to stick longer. As a result, glue is better than duct tape.

Pro admitted himself that duct tape is cheaper. I proved that cheaper products typically are lower in quality than more expensive products.

I proved that glue has more versatility and has more sticking power than duct tape.

Therefore, glue is better than duct tape.

DevonNetzley

Pro

Thank you for accepting my argument.

First off i would like to point out that my opponent has stated "Most times, when a product is cheaper than another, it shows that that product is of a lower quality, as it is made from lower quality material." This is all true in most cases. But not all things that are cheaper are any worse tan the more expensive counter parts. Now to point out in my first argument I stated that duct tape was cheaper than glue. Where this is true in most styles and or versions of the said tape, seemed to have forgotten to mention Gorilla glue duct tape. "Duct tape is made for smooth, even, predictable surfaces. How many of your projects can be described that way? That's why we invented Gorilla Tape. Made to stick to rough, uneven, unforgiving surfaces like wood, stone, stucco, plaster, brick and more." http://gorillatough.com...

Yes at the Gorilla glue incorporation they revolutionized how we see and use our duct tape today. "Gorilla Tape is available in the following roll sizes: 35 yards, 12 yards, the Handy 1" Roll, which is 1 inch by 30 feet, and the NEW Tough & Wide, nearly 3 inches wide!" The Gorilla tape was created to withstand even the harshest or elements, be it snow, rain, heat, or your usual wear and tear. Some of these little facts might even prove that duct tape can be superior to glue.
"DOUBLE THICK ADHESIVE – fills up the gaps in rough, uneven surfaces for super strong bite."
"STRONG REINFORCED BACKING – the tight weave makes Gorilla Tape extra strong, but you can still rip it straight and easy."
"TOUGH ALL-WEATHER SHELL – for the toughest jobs in the toughest conditions."

In Cons argument he stated "If anything, duct tape is less effective than glue. Duct tape can easily be ripped off, and it also does not stand well in many weather conditions." Maybe it was me forgetting to mention Gorilla tape or maybe Con just doesn't know his tape. In my argument above I believe the Gorilla tape rebuttal negates that little statement and any others that refers to tape being outside becoming weaker. Or opinion of how it seems.

Ever had trouble with repairing your bumper? Well duct tape would hold a lot more weight than the brittle aftermath of dried glue. Now my opponent has stated "As I said, typically, when you duct tape or glue stuff together, you want them to stay together. I have already proven in my refutation that glue does have more resistance than duct tape, therefore being able to stick longer. As a result, glue is better than duct tape." Duct tape can take way more damage than any glue. Have you ever tried to (this is just a theory) glue a pole or 2 by 4 back together? If you have try throwing it or slamming it on the ground, I can guarantee it will shatter that pathetic glue. However if you tried applying a good amount of the trusty duct tape it will do a much better job of holding out.
http://t2.gstatic.com...

So in conclusion, duct tape has more sticking power and withstand more damage.

That proves my case that duct tape is far ore superior than glue.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Firstly, Pro admits himself that cheaper products are a lower quality. "This is all true in most cases," says Pro. Then he goes on to say that not all things that are cheaper are worse than theire expensive counter parts. But it is always like that.
Is a Suzuki Impreza not much worse than a Porsche Carrera?
By what Pro says about gorilla tape, is duct tape not much worse than gorilla tape?
Are Wal-Mart boots not much worse than Timbalands?
Are Value Village jeans not much worse than Levi's?

Cheaper always means lower quality or grade. It has always been like that.
I challenge Pro to find a product that is better than it's expensive counterpart.

Secondly, Pro tries to defend his arguments and attack mine using Gorilla Tape. I just want to point out that the resolution is "Duct tape is better than glue", not "gorilla tape is better than glue".

Duct tape and gorilla tape are very different things. It is like saying, masking tape is the same as duct tape when it is obviously not. On the site, it even differentiates between duct tape and gorilla tape, saying that "Duct tape is made for smooth, even, predictable surfaces." Gorilla tape is "Made to stick to rough, uneven, unforgiving surfaces like wood, stone, stucco, plaster, brick and more." http://gorillatough.com...

Therefore, it is obvious that duct tape and gorilla tape are not the same things. Therefore Pro's entire rebuttal is ineffective.

Thirdly, Pro believes that duct tape (not gorilla tape anymore) is stronger than glue. He also comes up with something about a pole and throwing it on the ground. Well, yes, it would fall apart if you used the elementary style glue. However, the glue I am talking about is much more powerful, such as krazy glue.

http://www.krazyglue.com...

If you go to their fourth bullet point, they say, "A single drop of krazy glue has been tested to hold 2000 pounds." I want to stress a single drop. Now how much force can a single strand of duct tape hold?

http://dsc.discovery.com...

Go to around 1:10. A single strand of duct tape can only withstand 67.3 pounds of force before breaking. That is much less than the 2000 pounds of force that a single drop of krazy glue can withstand. Therefore, no, duct tape is not stronger and cannot take more damage than glue.

Fourthly, Pro does not contest my versatility argument. This argument remains unrefuted by Pro.

So in conclusion, Pro thinks "duct tape has more sticking power and withstand more damage." If you still think that way after you have finished reading my arguments, then you must not have read properly, or you must be really bad at math. A single drop of glue can withstand 2000 pounds. A single strand of duct tape can withstand 67.3 pounds.

As Pro's entire arguments were about strength and withstanding power, they are all invalid, as I have proven with credible sources that duct tape is weaker than glue.

DevonNetzley

Pro

Thanks for you lovley comments.

Now to begin this final confrentation. Con clearly left himself open for a clear shot. He stated "Is a Suzuki Impreza not much worse than a Porsche Carrera?" First it's Suzuki Forenza. And second I find the Suzuki to be a much better vehicle. Oh you don't know????? The Suzuki has 28 mpg highway and 20 city. The porche has 24 highway and 20 city. Not to forget that the Suzuki has a much more affordable price.

Oh and to respond to your little challange, which i kinda laughed at. I have you little answer.
A standard size hershey's chocolate bar costs usually $1.09. Where as the smaller, cheaper, and way more tantalizing is the milk chocolate ice cube. Sells for about 15 cents. It's not the size it's more as the taste, and popularity.

Back to the argument. You said that i strayed away from the "duct tape" argument? Ha I say, HA!! Every brand of duct tape out there is in the catagory of duct tape. It's like saying that the rayovac batteries arent the same as duracell. Or that colored duct tape isn't duct tape. Which in fact i use for my shoes. Glue however only holds up for a very short time. Back to that glue is weaker thing. Yeah duct tape holds way more press Anyways to negate you "proof" that you krazy glue can hold up to 2000 pounds of weight. Oooooh so was it static or moving??? Forgot that little bit didn't you?? Ah it's fine I mean i forgot to add in a little bit back in my last argument. When you said strand did you mean strip? Just wonderin. Anyways, moving down the line. You say that you glue can take far more damage than my tape yes? Well test your theory on a fallen bumper, because i would love to see someone have to blue a bupmer back and try to drive down the highway at 80 mph without it going fwhoooosh!! Right over your car or truck and hitting anyone else behind you. Duct tape owns at the bumper, much stronger and way safer.
And yes if you did use your precious krazy glue it would shatter into pieces from the pole experiment.

What is their to prove in the versitility anyway??! I clearly stated in the begining of the debate "the big stuff." Not poster board. Oh and to add to my argument, taping something back or glueing it, the cold or hot weather woould cause serious trauma to the glues potency. When duct tape gets a little too warm it melts a bit which actually creates a more stable hold. You can twist that however you want man. Besides that not to forget father time. as time goes on not only does glue become brittle but it looses it's sticky hold. One last thing. I don't hear any catchy saying about glue. Do you?????
"If you can't duck it F#@$ it." "Duct tape it turns no no no into mmm mmm mmm." "Silence is golden, duct tape is silver." And so ho ho much more.

My argument and time have come to an end, that was my argument. Vote Pro Duct tape for life.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Firstly, to any voters and viewers, I would like to point out the obvious ad hominem that Pro uses. Please Pro, try to be more civilized and don't resort to lowly yelling and sarcasm.

====================

Well let's start off with the Suzuki vs Porshe comparison. Firstly, no, it is not the Suzuki Forenza. There is such thing as a Suzuki Impreza, believe it or not. http://www.google.ca...

Obviously, you would say that you find the Suzuki a better vehicle in this debate. Basically what you're saying here is that if you had the money to buy either a Porshe or a Suzuki, you would buy the Suzuki? I find that hard to believe. You also compare the miles per gallon rating on both cars. However, that is merely one aspect. Obviously, as a novice debater, Pro has failed to look at the big picture. The porsche has better acceleration, speed, handling, wheels, aerodynamicy, etc. So obviously the Porsche is a much better quality car, and far surpasses the Suzuki in excellency. You also say that the Suzuki is a much more affordable price. Pro fails to realize why this is so. The Suzuki is much more affordable, much cheaper, than the Porsche because it is a lower quality. Pro also fails to respond to my other comparisons, obviously showing the weakness of his stance.

Also, as you said yourself the milk chocolate ice cube is smaller than the hershey bar. That is why it is cheaper. Also, let me ask you why is this chocolate cube much less popular than the hershey bar, if it tastes much better? That is because it either does not exist, or you are the only one with this belief. Again, you have no proof that this chocolate cube exists and that it tastes much better. Therefore this rebuttal is invalid.

Therefore, I have proven that cheaper products are of lower quality than their expensive counterparts.

====================

No... gorilla tape is not just a different brand, it is something else entirely. Look on their site. http://gorillatough.com...

They say themselves that duct tape is for smooth surfaces, while gorilla tape is for heavy duty purposes. They differentiate themselves from duct tape. Obviously gorilla tape and duct tape is not the same thing, they are not just different brands. It is a completely different kind of tape, just like how there are different kind of batteries. There are AAAa batteries, and AA batteries. They are obviously not the same thing. There is masking tape, there is scotch tape. Again, not the same thing. It is similar, but not the same.

====================

The krazy glue can hold up to 2000 pounds of weight, static. Watch the video. The duct tape was static, also. It can only hold 67.3 pounds. There is still a large difference.

By this logic, krazy glue can still hold more than duct tape even when dynamic, as it already holds a lot more than duct tape when static.

Hmmm, really? Where is the proof? Pro keeps bringing up the bumper of a car. He does not have proof that the duct tape holds better on the bumper than krazy glue. I can easily say anything without proof.

Okay, you know I used krazy glue the bricks of my house together, and after 80 years, it is still standing! Test your theory on a house, because I would love to see someone tape a house together and last one day without the house going KABOOM!! Right on top of anyone inside of the house. Glue owns at the house, much stronger and way safer.

I am using the same logic that Pro is using. He doesn't have proof to back up his claims. Therefore, his claims are invalid.

====================

I did not mean just poster boards. http://www.krazyglue.com...

Look at those many uses. You mentioned in the beginning about a lamp. Are you really going to use duct tape to tape your lamp together? What happens when your sink snaps off? Oh! I got it with duct tape!

That merely does not make sense. Duct tape is clumsy, and it is difficult to accurately tape something together. For example, the sink. The sink is a very narrow sink. You try duct taping it, but the strips are way too huge, and they get in the way of the water flow. Then you have to do all these measurements and cutting just to get the right size. With glue, you could simply squeeze the bottle where you want it and hold the attaching piece to the glue to make it stick. It is much easier.

Not to mention, using duct tape on things makes them look ghetto.

Does that car not look super ghetto? With glue, you can fix things invisibly so that this does not happen.

====================

Again, sigh, no proof to prove that heat makes duct tape stick better.
And again, sayings about duct tape does not make it better. And actually, yes I do have some catchy sayings about glue.

"If you can't glue it, screw it."
"Glue: it turns no no no into mmm mmm mmm."
"Silence is golden, glue is usually white."

and so, so, so many more.

Pro fails to back up his claims with sources, therefore making many of his claims invalid. Also, Pro's entire case is based on the strength of duct tape, saying it is stronger than glue. However, in the second round, using reliable sources, I have backed my claim that krazy glue is indeed much stronger than duct tape.

Pro merely replies with: "Oooooh was it static or moving??? Forgot that little bit didn't you?? Ah it's fine I mean I forgot to add in a little bit back in my last argument. When you said strand did you mean strip? Just wonderin. Anyways, moving down the line."

Please note that this is not a sufficient response or refutation to one of the main facts of this debate. This does not disprove the fact that krazy glue is still able to hold 2000 pounds of weight, where duct tape can only hold 67.3 pounds of weight. As Pro's entire case was centered around the strength of duct tape, and this fact is still valid at the end of the debate, Pro has blatantly lost.

Therefore, do the right thing.
Therefore, vote Con.
Therefore, vote HardCore.Pwnography.

Posted by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
yeah i guess he did. oh well you can't get beter unless you learn from your mistakes
Posted by bcresmer 2 years ago
bcresmer
he had better agruements
Posted by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
yeah. but i still lost somehow.
Posted by bcresmer 2 years ago
bcresmer
No prob. i actullay have a imprezia and im in the middle of tuning it. i already beat a 911 down the drag
Posted by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
i know right, thanks for agreeing with me.
Posted by bcresmer 2 years ago
bcresmer
Dudue, the imprezia is the better car. with the money i saved buying the imprezia i would upgrade it to better then the porshe.
Posted by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
Eh I saw this coming, mainly for the fact that he had the final round to completly bomb it and leave on a punk note. Still I could care less if I lose or win. Besides it's kinda hard to come up with some really good arguments when your in alternative school, some sites wont pop up. But good debate man.
Posted by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
It's not a change in resolution. Duct tape is duct tape, thats why it's called gorrila glue "duct" tape.
Posted by Mr.Infidel 2 years ago
Mr.Infidel
Hardcore.Pwnography has, in my opinion, one this debate.

THE RESOLUTION

-Pro argues ducktape is better than glue
-Con negates and shows that glue is better than duck tape

THE ARGUMENTS

==Pro's case."

Con showed that cheaper=/=better quality, which pro admitted to. This tears down Pro's argument "duct tape is both cheaper and more effective than most glue some people."

==Con's Case==

Con had a much stronger case showing that glue is more versatile and has more sticking power, which utterly refutes Pro's contention that it is cheaper and more effective.

==Rebuttals==

To negate, pro just defended with a different type of tape called gorilla tape--but that is not what the resolution says! Therefore, pro loses conduct for changing the resolution!

Excellent debate.
Posted by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
It's just a debate out of random boredness, a senseless debate. Most likley who takes this on will beat me. For i am still slightly new to this, despite my level of intellegence. But no matter, that has no match on experience, I welcome whoever takes on this challenge.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
DevonNetzleyHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: concede
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 2 years ago
Ron-Paul
DevonNetzleyHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is a stupid debate, but nonetheless, a win by con.
Vote Placed by esisCOA 2 years ago
esisCOA
DevonNetzleyHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro conceded to con, con had better sources.
Vote Placed by Mr.Infidel 2 years ago
Mr.Infidel
DevonNetzleyHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: You two are hillareous. Analysis in comments!