jamiea
nietzschewannabe

Due process for illegal immigrants

nietzschewannabe

jamiea

Con

Should illegal immigrants be given the right to due process before deportation from the US? No they should not, they are not citizens. US citizens have earned the right to due process or those that are visiting that are here legally.
nietzschewannabe

Pro

Yes, especially considering the Supreme Court has consistently given rights to even illegal immigrants, especially in the case of Wong Wing v. U.S. Illegal immigrants should be guaranteed due process because otherwise the United States has the unconditional control over the fate of any illegal immigrants.
jamiea

Con

I do not agree with the US imprisoning anybody for being an illegal immigrant. My view is that if they can't prove right off the bat that they are legally in the US, they should be deported back to their country. When we are detaining aliens to have their due process, that is coming out of the taxpayers pocket. In FY 13 the budget for ICE was $5.9 million, the US Customs and Border Protection's budget was $11.9 billion. ICE has to keep approximately 34,000 beds nationwide that Congress has said it has to maintain the beds at full capacity. We as taxpayers are having to pay to feed the aliens, for medical attention if needed, and for the electricity they have in the detention centers.
nietzschewannabe

Pro

The inherent problem of that argument is the ability given to the government to deport anyone they want if they can not prove they are a citizen, naturalized or not. This takes away rights even from the actual citizens themselves if the government wants to deport them. The other question is why the fact that someone is a citizen or not changes their person. Why should a murderer or rapist who happens to be a citizen be paid for, but a responsible but illegal immigrant not be granted the right to due process? They may be wrong, and then they re deported, but at least they were given a fair chance to argue their point?

To literally cite the Fourteenth Amendment of our own constitution- "...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The key word in the quote here is ANY. The article before this snippet specifically stated 'citizen' ("All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States..."), deliberately separating it from the section mentioning 'any person'. Your argument literally goes against what is stated in the Constitution, and what the Supreme Court has upheld for years; that even illegal immigrants are granted the right to due process.
jamiea

Con

Touch". I have my own personal ideas about our citizens in prison lol I am writing a argumentative paper stating that all illegal immigrants should be deported automatically. Other than the laws and constitution, what is your personal view or emotional view?
nietzschewannabe

Pro

My personal view has nothing to do with the argument. I am arguing that illegal immigrants have a constitutional right to due process according to the fourteenth amendment. However, if the argument is emotional or personal I do believe illegal immigrants have the right to due process still. They are human beings, and they simply should not be deprived of such a simple right as the courts deciding whether they are deported whether they may stay. The courts are civilized; the government deporting without due process is not. Simple.
Posted by nietzschewannabe 3 years ago
nietzschewannabe
Well, technically I can paraphrase the Constitution. I used the part that was relevant to my argument, the section moving away from the rights of citizens to the rights of anyone within United States borders. I actually did something rather uncommon, I referenced the rest of the section. Either way, that doesn't discredit my argument in the slightest.
Yes, the first section references people born or naturalized in the United States, but the second section clearly states the rights of anyone within U.S. borders, and that includes due process.
Posted by jamiea 3 years ago
jamiea
@nietzschewannabe I take back my touch". You can't just paraphrase a part of an amendment in the constitution. Section 1 "All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. " The first sentence states all people born or naturalized in the US.
Posted by jamiea 3 years ago
jamiea
Also US citizens could be born here or they could be the people that did all the paperwork correctly to live here and are now citizens but born in a different country.
Posted by jamiea 3 years ago
jamiea
I am stressing the fact of ILLEGAL CITIZENS, that have came to the US illegally or came here legally but has stayed past their time allowed.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Yes, the US citizens have certainly earned their rights by being born. Well done them.
Vote Placed by Greedav 3 years ago
Greedav
jamieanietzschewannabeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Better arguments all around.