gabzagab
Entrancer

Dumbledore vs Gandalf

Entrancer

gabzagab

Pro

I am going to debate that Dumbledore is superior to Gandalf, since he is a beast and could easily win in a fight.
Entrancer

Con

Hi, I am going to be debating the Gandalf is the superior Wizard is by far superior to Dumbledore. during this debate I will keep in mind both Gandalf the grey and white. GL HF
gabzagab

Pro

Let me explain the points behind my argument:

-Dumbledore has a wand
-Dumbledore has a Phoenix
-Dumbledore is widely considered the greatest wizard of his time, whereas Gandalf has other wizards just as strong as him
-Gandalf didn't even really help that much, Frodo did most of the work
-Dumbledore is a much cooler name

I doubt you can reply sufficiently to such great points.
Entrancer

Con

I am going to start by repealing some of your arguments:
Firstly Gandalf has a staff, which while also being far cooler than a little wand (no innuendo intended) also acts as a walking stick, and can be used to bash orcs over the head with.
Secondly although Dumbledore has a Phoenix, Gandalf has both a hobbit alongside an awesome horse Shadowfax lord of all the horses.
Finally the idea the DUMBledore is a better name is ridiculous Gandalf is far superior.

Now some of my own points.
Gandalf has a far cooler party made up of kings and orcs rather than a boy with glasses and a ginger.
Gandalf defeats balrog a creature stronger than anything Dumbledore ever fought.
Gandalf increases in strength from grey to white whereas Dumbledore dies to a traitor whom he trusted.
Gandalf also most importantly has a better beard.
And Gamdlaf has a cool pipe with which he blows Some awesome smoke rings.

https://www.google.co.uk...|8;d|Vf0ykeO65C9h-M:

Your turn
gabzagab

Pro

Firstly, I would say that the fact that Dumbledore has a "worse" party means that he must have been better to cope with this hindrance. Secondly, you say he dies to a traitor...THIS IS COMPLETELY WRONG! Dumbledore perfectly plans his death so that Snape, not a traitor, becomes master of the wand, and later, Harry. This brings me on to my next point - intelligence. Dumbledore is more intelligent than Gandalf. Gandalf makes decisions on the spot and relies on his magical ability. Dumbledore superbly plans everything and was the foundation upon which Voldemort was defeated. His intelligence is unmatched - and this is matched by his courageous - he sacrifices himself for the cause...
Lastly, he would win in a fight as he has greater magical spells at his disposal. A simple killing curse could flatten Gandalf in a matter of seconds. So in terms of intelligence and ability, Dumbledore is superior.
Entrancer

Con

Ok.
So Firstly I am going to start by correcting some errors in my last argument.
I made a typo that Gandalf does not have party including orcs but rather dwarfs (sorry i made a typo)
And here is the correct image for Gandaf http://img5.joyreactor.com...

Now in answer to your last argument:
Just because he has a worse party does not mean that he doesn't rely on them, lets have a look did Dumbledore kill Voldermort and his army NO he didn't he got Harry and his crew to do it.
Importantly you are incorrect although he may have planned his death he did not understnd the real passage the elder wand takes. The wand passes to whomever disarms its user NOT to whom kills them. This means that unwittingly Draco became its master after he disarms Dumbledore and then Harry disarms Draco making him the master of the wand.

Intelligence...Really...
Well just because he makes a plan that involves his death in order to help Harry is not the best argument. If Dumbledore were a better wizard he would have been able to defeat the Death Eaters when they invaded Hogwarts, instead he comes with some convuluted plan (see even you didnt understand it) that he doesn't share with anyone but Snape who eventually dies. This brings me back to your earlier point about his use of Allies. Dumbledore completely manipluates everyone around him to do his work because he can't do it himself.

And the idea of sacrificing himself for the cause would not have been nessecary had he been a strong a wizard as Gandalf.

The idea that Dumbledore could defeat Gandalf in a fight is also ludicrous. Throughout the books it seems any Wizard can pull off a death curse showing its ease, gandalf is able to create Storms that rage through half of Middle Earth and generate earthquakes. These powers are far superior. May I also mention that Gandlaf is immortal so even if Dumbledore as lucky enough to hit him with a death curse Gandalf would come back in another form stronger than before.

I would also say that Gandalf is far mentally stronger and smarter than Dumbledore woh falls prey to the search for Horcruxes that have already been found in many cases (and he unable to destroy them without causinh himself serious injury). Whereas Gandlaf who is able to be disciplined enough to resist the temptations of the rings for many many years, also creates aplan to send the Hobbits unnoticed through Sauron's lands as takes on the dangerous armies through the main gates.

This leads me on to my final point for now. Gandalfs power is unmatched in the wizarding world, allow me to reiterate what I said earlier, the challenges he faces are far more dangerous than any Dumbledore faces. Gandalf faces down dragons such as Smaug and those ridden by the Nazgûl. Furthermore Gandlaf is not only far superior in terms of magic he also wields a badass sword known as 'the flame of Anor' showing that Gadalf is a better all round fighter.

Ask your self how would Dumbledore fair if he was relinquished of 'the elder wand' which is (WHEN RELATING TO THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS) the most powerful wand in th world and he still dies when he has it (yes you may sayits payrt of the plan but really heshould be able to own those fools)

Gandlaf is by far the strongest and coolest (can make smoke rings and ships) so just

http://24.media.tumblr.com...;
gabzagab

Pro

OK, firstly I dont think that who's in their party is relevant to their greatness. Secondly, I would say that another characteristic of Dumbledore that is better is his humility - he never boasts about his wizarding prowess, doesn't want to claim any credit.
I still disagree in that surely Dumbledore wins the intelligence category - its too much to go into now, but basically he plotted how to defeat voldemort for years and made it so it could be carried out after his death. His situation is a lot more complex and difficult than Gandalf - in which is mainly about destroying a ring. There is no particularly clever scheming undertaken by Gandalf. Yes, his physical battles were harder, but his mental ones were not.
As you say, Dumbledore is mortal, and I would say this means he requires more skill and courage to succeed in his task. As Gandalf is immortal, is what he achieves really that impressive?
Entrancer

Con

Right then.
Firstly, Dumbledore has no more humility than Gandlaf has perhaps even less so. If you had actually read the books iit is difficult within the Lord of the Rings to find an example where Gandalf says anything about his own ability at all. In fact Gandalf barely recognises the fact that he is a wizard at all, and tends to avaoid questions/statements that are personally directed at his ability.
Secondly,you basically ignored most of my argument and have repealled very little, only stating the Dumbledore is better in one way or another.
I would also say in answer to "His [Dumbledore's] situation is a lot more complex and difficult than Gandalf" that the simplest answer is often the best. Just because Dumbledore has some complicated method for dealing with a problem that was also relatively simple (kill voldermort (which he leaves to Harry)) does not mean that he is smarter. In fact it could be argued that he should have faced Voldermort head on as he should have been able to tak him in a duel (or is Voldermort better than Dumbledore???).

I would also say that YOU ARE IGNORING THE DEBATE YOU ORIGINALLY SET OUT I qoute
'I am going to debate that Dumbledore is superior to Gandalf, since he is a beast and could easily win in a fight.'
You have conceded that this is clearly not true, as you have attempted to change the subject. Just beacuse he is immortal does not mean that 'death' will not effect him. You merely have to read the books and look at the great struggle he took as he battled Balrog and after he had defeated him.

Gandalf is not immortal in he sense he cannot be harmed or die, it is merely the case that he is able to return from death through a great struggleof his own.

(You also have no awesome images of Dumbledore whereas there is a plethera ofimages showing Gandalfs greatness)
http://i1189.photobucket.com...

(note if a link does not work just refresh that page)
gabzagab

Pro

Um. Well...
Dumbledore has a cooler name, right...
Entrancer

Con

Well my opposition has clearly conceded defeat.
And no its not.
Time to vote

GG
Posted by deerdestoryer 4 years ago
deerdestoryer
Merlin beat all but since that isn't an option I'm going Dumbledore.
Posted by Dylip 4 years ago
Dylip
Siding with Gandalf on this one.
Vote Placed by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
gabzagabEntrancerTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by TheSaint 4 years ago
TheSaint
gabzagabEntrancerTied
Reasons for voting decision: DUMBledore does not have the cooler name. The whole debate comes down to this point. Defeat was inevitable.
Vote Placed by thedebatekid 4 years ago
thedebatekid
gabzagabEntrancerTied