huntabby
Tthompson1995

Dumbledore was a horrible person

Started: 6/3/2016 Category: Movies

huntabby

Pro

He 100% let Harry grow up in an abusive home, despite his full knowledge that Harry was not in a positive environment. He didn't tell Harry anything in most of the books and just left him in the dark even though Harry was supposed to be helping and saving the world. Everyone knew Harry was the chosen one. Shouldn't the chosen one know what is going on? He should have moved Harry to a wizard home where he would a.) not be in danger of abuse anymore & b.) would have been in the loop on what was happening with Voldemort and the Death Eaters.
He also had knowledge that Lily and James Potter were going to be killed. Snape tried to tell Dumbledore but he ignored it and basically let Voldemort murder two extremely powerful members of The Order Of The Phoenix. Dumbledore was also a member of The Order. Why would he let two members of his army be killed by a powerful dark wizard?
Also, it is explained that Dumbledore had an extensive history of being very power hungry. He essentially did everything to protect his power and magic. One exhibit of this would be his possession of the Elder Wand.
Dumbledore overall just sucked and he's way overhyped.
Tthompson1995

Con

Dumbledore did indeed let Harry grow up in the home he let him grow up in, he did keep Harry in the dark about most things (even though he was the chosen one), and he probably did have knowledge that Lily and James were going to be killed, or at least that Voldemort was gunning after them. But I think that there is a key thing that you have missed. Dumbledore, with all of the knowledge that he has about the prophesies, the books, the things Voldemort would do, the knowledge that Harry was the chosen one, etc., he knew that Harry was going to have to be killed by Voldemort. I think that that is the key. I think that because he knew that that was the reality that would have to happen, he made all of his decisions about where to act, where to stay hidden behind the scenes, whatever he did, he did because he had to get Harry into the position that he could have time to look for the horcruxes, but also had to get Harry into the position that he would be ready to die after he realizes that he is a horcrux. Dumbledore was power hungry because he knew he was fighting for good. He knew that if he was the one that went into power, Voldemort would try to recruit Snape (his right hand man) to join the dark side. He knew that if he put on this face that he was not actually controlling all of these situations (which as we both agree, he was), that would be the only chance that Harry would have to stop the dark side. I believe that Dumbledore even knew that Harry would be able to come back to life after Voldemort destroyed the horcrux inside Harry because he gave him the sorcerers stone. I think that everything Dumbledore did was because that was the only way he knew how to put Harry in a position to defeat Voldemort, and I think that his willingness to die for that was the ultimate example of this. There is no doubt that if Dumbledore knew that Malfoy would be ordered to kill him, and Dumbledore told Snape that if Malfoy could not do it, then he wanted Snape to. If he was doing everything for the soul purpose of being power hungry, he would be the first power hungry man that I have ever heard of that told someone to kill him.
huntabby

Pro

Dumbledore was already dying from drinking the potion in the cave. He knew the other death eaters were on their way. He was also already dying from the horocrux he placed on his finger that spread dark magic throughout his body. He previously told Snape that when the time came, he needed Snape to kill him before another death eater could. His death holds no relevance other than he didn't want anyone to see how weak he was becoming. Furthermore, there is no discrepancy over whether or not he knew Harry's parents would die. Snape told him himself and dumbledore did nothing. As far as his knowledge that Harry would die, that's almost even worse because he allowed Harry to live a shitty life in an abusive home despite knowing he would die young. Dumbledore was obsessed with power and magic and didn't care who had to die for him to get it. He only was a good wizard because he didn't want any dark wizards becoming more powerful than him.
Tthompson1995

Con

Tthompson1995 forfeited this round.
huntabby

Pro

huntabby forfeited this round.
Tthompson1995

Con

Hey. I am sorry I missed round 2. So I will make a quick and brief statement. The reason that Dumbledores knowledge of Harry's death is relevant is because of the decisions he had to make. Let's put it this way. If you knew that a baby boy was going to save the world by dying for it, would you allow it? Because the opposite, Sure, let Harry have a luxurious childhood, keep him away from Voldemort, and Let him choose what he wants to do for a career. But then what are the repercussions? Voldemort becomes the ruler of Hogwarts, starts recruiting to go fight other places and there is a huge wizarding world war on our hands. The Order knew about a previous world war that took place, and they wanted to do whatever they could to stop it from happening again. And Dumbledore was not the only one who had knowledge that Harry would have to make drastic measures to save the world. There is a scene where Sirius wants to tell this to Harry but Mrs. Weasly says that he cannot. The information was not revealed to Harry in order to protect him. It had to be told to Harry, as Snape says, "At the proper moment." Lastly, I don't think that other wizards saw this as a hateful act on Dumbledores part. Dumbledore told Snape that at the proper moment Harry would have to be killed, and Snape decided to follow Dumbledore at all cost. And in your first round, you stated that "Dumbledore had knowledge that Lily and James were going to be killed." But in round 2 you said, "There is no discrepancy whether he knew or not that Harry's parents would die." Which is it? Because if he did, I think I refuted your point, but if he didn't know that they were going to be killed, then that is not a reason for him to be considered evil.
Posted by Tthompson1995 8 months ago
Tthompson1995