Mike_BSU
Harbalalism

Dungeons and Dragons has no demoralizing effects for the average gamer

Mike_BSU

Pro

This debate was sparked in my mind after reading what I believe is one of the most intolerant articles on the subject of Dungeons and Dragons. (http://www.chick.com...)

Many fundamentalists totally misrepresent what kind of game Dungeons and Dragons really is. For example, In this writer's rebuttal against the essential argument that Dungeons and Dragons is just a game, he writes, "Playing chicken with cars is 'only a game' [...] So is Russian roulette!" However, the great fallacy in this counter is that those games involve the physical world while DnD is all in the mind.

Others say that this is killing the soul by distracting our attention from God. So does this mean that hopscotch, jumping rope, and scrap booking are also thing that would kill the soul? I hope that I don't have to spend every few hours thinking about Christ in order to get to heaven, otherwise I'm sprirtually screwed.

The writer of the article states that the game challenges the players intellectually and emotionally, forcing them to have a high imagination and creativity, something he claims the devil would engineer. In that case, would schools and theaters be works of the devil as well? After all, we all know how much pure children hate school when they start, and schools do challenge the student both intellectually and emotionally. Theaters do the same, while encouraging a great deal of creativity as well.

Perhaps the biggest argument is the high use of magic. Although I am aware that magic and the occult are highly prohibited in the Bible, the make believe acting of doing magic is accepted by my standards. Just look at Narnia, which is greatly accepted by Christians, despite the large use of magic in it.

Another argument is that being drawn in the game leads many players to blur the lines between reality and fantasy. This is an argument that I have hated since I first started defending interactive media. The inability to tell the difference between reality and fiction is inherent in all people free from mental illness. If this was really to happen, than the person must have had a mental illness to loose touch with reality.

In my opinion, Dungeons and Dragons is a good game that challenges while it entertains. As long as you know the difference between what happens on pen and paper from what happens in real life, you're still able to be a good Christian. However, if you have any qualms, then you have the right to stay out.

I look forward to my contender's rebuttal.
Harbalalism

Con

I disagree dungeons and dragons has no effect on the average gamer. The problem with D and D is that it puts the user in aa sedated state of no return the drug tortures the mind and soul of the user.Most users of the drug get their drug from......... http://www.vhemt.org...
Mike_BSU

Pro

I am quite confused by my opponent's brief argument. I request that he please review his arguments before posting.

"The problem with D and D is that it puts the user in aa [sic] sedated state of no return[.]"

In the DnD groups I've played with, most of them meet less than weekly. However, there may be a few hardcore groups that meet daily, but given the long average game time per sitting, this is highly unlikely. To say that there is no return from this sedated state is absolutely ridiculous. One of my DnD friends has just finished basic training, something that is hardly sedentary.

"the[sic] drug tortures the mind and soul of the user."

Yes, for some DnD can be addictive, but for most, it's just a way to pass the time on a Friday night. I can attest that the game in no way tortures the mind. In fact, the game helps build on your creativity skills, especially if you are the Dungeon Master(DM.) As for the soul, I have not yet expirienced anything during a DnD match that involves harming anyone other than the forces of evil.

"Most users of the drug get their drug from........."

So far, this is the sentence that puzzles me the most. From where do most users get their "drug" from? The website that you cited? Which brings me to my last point.

"http://www.vhemt.org...;

I take back what I said earlier. THIS is what puzzles me the most. Why you decided to cite a website that supports the killing of human being to control the population is beyond my understanding.

--In Review--

So far my opponent has not touched on a single one of my arguments. He has instead chosen to state a few disjointed ideas without any supporting evidence. Furthermore he has supplied a source without explaining it's purpose. I pray that you will please touch on my points and explain the purpose of your citation. Please take your time with your response; we have a 72 hour time limit after all.
Harbalalism

Con

My point is that by playing D or D you are destroying your mental sanity.If there were no humans there would be no d and d so we should enforce the voluntary extinction movement to keep people like you from taking it.You said that playing once a week isint addictive well i say it is.You should not waste your productive life on nonsense like d or d. The purpose of your life is to get a law passed under anarchy to have the 55 year cap.When a person becomes old and stops working or takes d and d he will be thrown into a....... http://en.wikipedia.org... or a http://en.wikipedia.org...
Mike_BSU

Pro

"My point is that by playing D or D you are destroying your mental sanity. If there were no humans there would be no d and d so we should enforce the voluntary extinction movement to keep people like you from taking it.You said that playing once a week isint addictive well i say it is.You should not waste your productive life on nonsense like d or d."

If you are to believe that we must work all our lives without having any recreation, you live in a very bleak world. Just saying that something is unnatural or man-made doesn't make it evil either. If you believe in those things, you must also think that baseball and dancing are also evil. Not only are you wrong, but there is evidence that recreation is good for your health. (http://stress.about.com...)

"The purpose of your life is to get a law passed under anarchy to have the 55 year cap."

First of all, why do you define the meaning of life as getting a law passed? Second, having a law under anarchy is completely paradoxial. Finally, what does your other debate about the "55 year cap" have anything to do with my debate?

"When a person becomes old and stops working or takes d and d he will be thrown into a......"

As you did at the end of your last round, you supplied me with two links that are entirely pointless after an overly long ellipsis. I have no clue why you mention throwing people into a volcano as this point of the debate, and it troubles me to read that.

--In Review--

In the previous round, I urged my opponent to take his time to touch on my points and take his time to develop a clear response. It has been nearly 24 hours since I made that comment, and he still doesn't take this debate very seriously. I would like him to please touch on my subjects. As long as he refuses to do this, I have absolutely nothing to say except that which I have said before.

I give you fair warning, if your next argument has no place in this debate, I fear for your credibility in future debates.
Harbalalism

Con

Harbalalism forfeited this round.
Posted by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
The human extinction website gave me a laugh. Are those people serious!? XD
Posted by Cerebral_Narcissist 7 years ago
Cerebral_Narcissist
I have just read the last exchange... <sob>.
Posted by Mike_BSU 7 years ago
Mike_BSU
Like I said, I apologize, and I haven't realized how intelligent a younger person could be. When ever this debate dies down, I'll challenge wj with it, as my opponent now is barely giving a challenge.
Posted by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
"I was merely looking for intelligent adults that would make for an interesting challenge."

Have you read any of wj's debates? We have members on this site under the age of 18 that can hold there own against college professors, politicians, theologians, etc. The easiest debates, with a few exceptions, have been against adults. If you wanted a solid debate, then wj would have given you one.
Cerebral_Narcissist
He posted the exact same link in another debate, in that one it was at least on topic... if nothing to do with what he was arguing.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Sorry to be blunt but I'd just start this debate up again, perhaps by issuing a challenge to someone. In the mean time just go through the motions for this one.
Posted by Mike_BSU 7 years ago
Mike_BSU
I apologize wjmelements. Had I known you would be interested in this debate I would have made no restriction in the age. I was merely looking for intelligent adults that would make for an interesting challenge.
Posted by inspyre 7 years ago
inspyre
I'm a Christian and I have always thought the D&D phobia was stupid. It stems from ignorance + superstition + disinformation. Interested to see this develop. Sorry I can't be the CON.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
You cannot accept this challenge because you do not match the Instigator's age and/or rank criteria.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Jack Chick is a complete and utter fraud and follows a line of Christianity that most would regard as morally bankrupt if not Satanic. Most people have not heard of D&D (I think) of those that have I am sure only a slim minority would regard it as dangerous. The major opponents to it are discredited, even the figures show the sucide rate is lower amongst role-players.
Vote Placed by nonparticipant 7 years ago
nonparticipant
Mike_BSUHarbalalismTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
Mike_BSUHarbalalismTied