tylergraham95
Judas97

Dungeons and Dragons is beneficial to society

tylergraham95

tylergraham95

Pro

First round is acceptance only
Second is construction only
No new arguments/rebuttals/responses may be made in the final round.
Judas97

Con

I will accept this argument and I wish the best of luck to my opponent.
tylergraham95

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting my challenge.

Framework
This round (second) will remain to be constructive only.
Third round will be used as each debater pleases.
No new arguments will be introduced in the final round.

I hope this clears up any confusion my opponent may have had regarding the rules.

PROS CASE

Dungeons and Dragons encourages creativity

The Dungeons and Dragons role playing game is a fun way that players can increase their creative ability. Many famous celebrities and other influential people play, or have played DnD, and some even accredit their success to the game.

Subpoint 1: Dungeons and Dragons teaches storytelling skills

In DnD, the Dungeon Master must employ the arts of storytelling in order to move the game along. This ability is essential to the game, and is taught through the game. Storytelling is a very useful skill for individuals to have, as it helps with writing ability and presentational/oratorical skills. This benefits society as it helps individuals within society to succeed in life.
"Screenwriter John August (Go, Big Fish) often attributes his success as a storyteller to playing Dungeons and Dragons as a kid. When the game is played at a high (i.e. fun) level, players create detailed histories for their characters and come up with complex explanations for various outcomes. This ultimately builds the creativity, imagination, and storytelling ability that make for a good writer." (1)

Subpoint 2: DnD Improves creative problem solving.

In DnD, players are constantly challenged to either create, or solve complex puzzles. These puzzles usually require the players to employ logic in a critical thinking and problem solving environment. These puzzles help hone these skills. These skills are also useful in all types of jobs. This benefits society through improving the creative problem solving skills of the players.

Subpoint 3: DnD Teaches the art of acting

In DnD players must "role play" and assume the part of their character. This helps teach the art of acting. Acting is a great skill for not only the stage and camera, but also the workplace. Furthermore, a familiarity with acting also helps culture the players.

Subpoint 4: DnD encourages socialization

Although DnD is typically played by introverts, it does require them to meet other players and play face to face, which can teach social skills at least in an introverted environment.

Subpoint 5: DnD Provides entertainment
Members of society are entertained by the game. Players enjoy their time while playing, and appreciate the game as a hobby, increasing their happiness. Here is a list of famous people who play, or have played DnD, and like it.

• Mike Meyers claimed to play D&D on Inside the Actor’s Studio.

• Vin Diesel, a long time player, wrote an introduction to the book Thirty Years of Adventure: Celebrating Dungeons and Dragons.

• Judy Dench was reportedly introduced to the game by Vin Diesel.

• Matthew Lillard has played (and apparently beat) kids for charity.

• Basketball player Tim Duncan is a long-time player.

• Robin Williams has played for charity, but admits to playing at home as well.

• Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were introduced to the game by Kevin Smith.

• Daryl Hannah supposedly plays.

• Actor/Director Jon Favreau (Iron Man) credits D&D for much of his storytelling prowess.

• Joss Whedon played D&D in college.

• Stephen Colbert was a big player as a kid and still plays now.

• Ewan McGreggor reportedly plays.

• Will Wheaton reportedly played on the set of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

• The Sarah Silverman Show’s Brian Posehn has played weekly for five years.

• Weezer front man Rivers Cuomo sings about his “Dungeon Master’s Guide” in his 1994 song “In the Garage.”

• Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance told Rolling Stone that he shopped for Dungeons & Dragonssupplies rather than partying while on tour.(2)

Judas97

Con

first I would like to say you had very valid arguments and had never though of most of that

1.DnD can cause kids to become antisocial only playing with a few specific friends and that through excessive play can develop mental and physical health problems. due to lack of sleep from playing,not getting enough exercise etc. and it can be really hard on self esteem due to the game and it's players being looked down on by society,religion etc. etc.

2.storytelling skills are only based on what someone already know or has thought of. A good way to build story telling skills would be to read books that were meant to be told in story form such as the Iliad,Inferno

3.Creative problem solving skills are gained from just living life to the fullest when a problem arises you must find a way around it whether it's difficult or easy.

4.The art of acting well you have me there unless someone takes improve classes

5.As I said before you socialize by building a good group of friends but go out and meet new people to build on that

6.entertainment is not really the best point to be making since anything you like is entertainment reading is a personal favorite of mine especially reading groups

This may undermine my argument but I don't care. You have many valid points and I could really go either way on this one
tylergraham95

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response.

Rebuttals

"DnD can cause kids to become antisocial only playing with a few specific friends and that through excessive play can develop mental and physical health problems. due to lack of sleep from playing,not getting enough exercise etc. and it can be really hard on self esteem due to the game and it's players being looked down on by society,religion etc. etc."

This point is mostly speculation by my opponent, as he cites no source to substantiate his points. These problems are also not necissarily caused by DnD the game. One coulde easily balance good exercise and sleep alongside semi-frequent playing of DnD. Also, DnD is a social game. Many players meet up with new and interesting people at LFG parties. As far as being looked down upon by society, this only happens in certain areas, and does not make the game any less beneficial. In my area, however, this is not a problem. Players are seen as geeky and weird, but not inferior.

"storytelling skills are only based on what someone already know or has thought of. A good way to build story telling skills would be to read books that were meant to be told in story form such as the Iliad,Inferno"

But as the DM you always are the storyteller, and you are therefore exercising your ability as a storyteller. A good DM is a good storyteller.

"Creative problem solving skills are gained from just living life to the fullest when a problem arises you must find a way around it whether it's difficult or easy."

Problems aren't always tangible. DnD provides problems that players must think themselves through.

"The art of acting well you have me there unless someone takes improve classes"

There's more than one way to skin a cat. My opponent cedes this point.

"As I said before you socialize by building a good group of friends but go out and meet new people to build on that"

Like I said, players commonly meet others and socialize. In LFG meetups, and at conventions like comicon.

"entertainment is not really the best point to be making since anything you like is entertainment reading is a personal favorite of mine especially reading groups"

If it provides entertainment, it makes you happier and raises the standard of living, therefore benefitting society.

VOTE PRO!
Judas97

Con

Judas97 forfeited this round.
tylergraham95

Pro

Extend all points.
VOTE PRO!
Judas97

Con

Judas97 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Subutai 2 years ago
Subutai
tylergraham95Judas97Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.