nerdykiller
BillNyeTheUSSpy

During a Zombie uprising it is Better to be Mobile then Barricading

nerdykiller

nerdykiller

Pro

This will be fun if you follow the direction. Zombie!!! :0 * No writing debate arguments in comments. Round 1: Intro from both sides. Round 2: Reasoning to prove which hero will take the win. Round 3: Rebuttal and argue to the reasons stated in the previous round. Round 4: Conclusion. Definition --------------------------------------------------------- Mobile: capable of moving Barricading: a defensive barrier hastily constructed. http://dictionary.reference.com... http://dictionary.reference.com... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Good Luck on this debate! :)
BillNyeTheUSSpy

Con

Oh my goodness. Zombies. Well isn't this just fabulous???

I have a question for round 2, do we have to make up a hero??? I'm confused.

Good luck for your first argument!
nerdykiller

Pro

Here is a scenario...

You are in a city that has a population of a million.
Within days before you realize something is happening in the city, zombies start to over run hospital, police headquarters, and even the streets.
About half of the population is infected.
Half of the survivor is being eaten.

These events are happening all over the globe.

You want to live as long as possible.
You want to equip yourself with the weapons that will save you in dangerous time.

Pros about Being Mobile

*You have a greater chance of finding food.
*You can discover new survivors along the way.
*New survivors mean new skills.
*If any zombie gets close to you, you can get away.
*You find new materials to build a better vehicle.
*You can find new weapons in a different town.

Cons about Being Barricaded

*You are basically trapping yourself.
*You have limited supplies.
*You will run out of materials to improvise your fortification.
*Your fort or fortify home will bring unwanted attention not only by zombies sensing you are still alive, but other survivors who will be willing to break in for food or weapons.
*You are only available to the supplies in the city.
*Your fort will one day fall, but if you are mobile you are never be caught in one place to be eaten.
*You are going to be overwhelmed by all the zombies attacking you, when there is no more human left alive in the city.

The only way to survive for a long period of time is by being mobile.
If you are heavily fortifying your home to withstand being overrun by zombie, you face the problem of lack of food.
You can gather other survivors in the area and start to prepare to escape from this city which is already infected.
You will run out of food sooner or later if you barricaded your home.
You have a greater chance of reaching a safe place if you are mobile, ten waiting for the government to send out rescue teams.

* If you are mobile you will survive longer than hiding in a barricaded place.

BillNyeTheUSSpy

Con

Good job with your first argument.

I will start with my pros to being barricaded.

-You will be more safe than being out in the open streets.
-Unlike constantly moving, you know your surroundings better while being barricaded.
-If there are rescue teams sent by the government, you can shoot your gun or some noise-maker to bring their attention.
-Using melee weapons to keep zombies out wont bring much attention to your area.
-When there is no more food, you can always sneak out and go to the nearest store with food, then sneak back into your hiding place.

Now, I will rebuttal my opponents cons to being barricaded.

*You are basically trapping yourself.
-You aren't exactly trapping yourself. You are keeping zombies out. Even if they do get in, it will most likely happen in only one spot of your fort, creating a choke point that can be easily defended.

*You have limited supplies.
-You can get out of the place that you are hiding in, and quickly sneak into the nearest store with food, like I said in my pros.

-There should be many materials in your fortification, like chairs or tables. If needed, you can even use dead zombies, but at that point, you should look for more supplies outside, then return to your fortification.

-As said in my pros, you can use melee weapons to keep zombies out, but also not bring in a lot of attention. If there are other survivors who want to break in, they might be killed by zombies as they attempt to break in.

-Before the zombie outbreak, there were one million citizens living in the city. There should be more than enough supplies for one person.

-Again, if you are mobile, you are out in the open. You are vulnerable to attacks from all directions, unlike being barricaded. So, being in a fort will keep you alive longer.

-Again, you are vulnerable to attacks from all directions if you are mobile.

Almost done, now I will rebuttal my opponent's pros about being mobile.

-You do have a greater chance of finding food, but it is less safe to get the food. Being mobile will make you go into unfamiliar places, so you will be unsure of where a supermarket is, or a place with food.

-You can find survivors wandering around your fortification too.

*New survivors mean new skills.
-See above.

-There's no guaranteeing that you can get away. A zombie would try to grab you, and other zombies would be closing in on you at the same time.

*You can find new materials to build a better vehicle.
-I'm getting confused. So being mobile means that you are driving a vehicle or walking around? Even if you did find new materials, how would you make it better? You don't have much time to put more armor on it.

-Again, in a city with a population of a million, there will be plenty of supplies for one person.

Again, great job on your argument! I look forward to our next round.
nerdykiller

Pro

Rebuttals

"You will be more safe than being out in the open streets."
I disagree because in the open streets you have more chance of escaping if zombies came after you. You will probably out run the zombie and you have many directions to run if you are caught in the open field. If you are in a barricaded place you can't run away when the zombies break in and surrounds you.
"Unlike constantly moving, you know your surroundings better while being barricaded."
I disagree because you would know where you are going if you have a map for next town, you would probably survive. You can go to a store and simply get a map. Some people like me have maps in my own home, so I would've grabbed the map before I left. Map does tell you about your surroundings by telling you the streets, stores, and etc.
"If there are rescue teams sent by the government, you can shoot your gun or some noise-maker to bring their attention."

There are two things wrong with this statement.
*Why would you want to shoot gun in order to get the rescue teams' attention?
Shooting a gun will be a bad decision because it’s only a chance you might get the teams' attention and you would be attracting zombies to your barricade.
*Where would you get a gun?
In America only 4 out of 10 people own a gun. Most of those that own a gun are in the Southern part of America. Most people that own a gun lives in rural areas which does not have population up to 1 million. To get a gun you would have to run to a nearest firearm store, but since the zombies are ruling the street it will be hard for you to run for the gun store and get the guns. Let me remind you that most of the guns in a gun store will be locked up.
http://www.gallup.com...
"Using melee weapons to keep zombies out won’t bring much attention to your area."
I will assume the melee weapons will be something like a knife, wooden stick, baseball bat, and etc. These melee weapons are example is something every house hold has most likely to have. These melee weapons have an important flaw, which is the length of the weapon. Baseball bat's length is usually 32 inches, which is pretty long but won't be able to be used effectively in a fight against many zombies.
"When there is no more food, you can always sneak out and go to the nearest store with food, then sneak back into your hiding place."
I don't believe you can just sneak out from a barricade because zombies are already dead so they use their eyes they use smell and hearing. Basically if you try to sneak out you will soon be surrounded by waves of hungry zombies.
http://zombies.monstrous.com...

Rebuttals to Con's Rebuttals

"-You aren't exactly trapping yourself. You are keeping zombies out. Even if they do get in, it will most likely happen in only one spot of your fort, creating a choke point that can be easily defended."
If zombies do get in you lose a section of the barricade is still bad for con because every time zombies break in to one area the barricade will soon be out of space that zombies didn't infiltrate already.
"-You can get out of the place that you are hiding in, and quickly sneak into the nearest store with food, like I said in my pros."
Again I already talked about trying to sneak out. You will be overwhelmed because day or night zombies can sense you with their hearing or smelling.
"-There should be many materials in your fortification, like chairs or tables. If needed, you can even use dead zombies, but at that point, you should look for more supplies outside, and then return to your fortification."
Like I already said the zombies will sense you. If you somehow get materials then you leave yourself in the open for the zombies to attack you because you are bringing materials in the barricade and you probably won't be able to fight a horde while carrying something like a table or chair.
"-As said in my pros, you can use melee weapons to keep zombies out, but also not bring in a lot of attention. If there are other survivors who want to break in, they might be killed by zombies as they attempt to break in."
I have a question for the con. What happens if the survivors that wants everything you have, carries guns and kills all the zombies surrounding your house and break in. Other zombies will soon come after hearing the gunshots.
"Before the zombie outbreak, there were one million citizens living in the city. There should be more than enough supplies for one person."
Again how can you escape with zombies surrounding your barricade? Remember even after you get your supplies you still need to head back and enter safely in to your barricade.
"-Again, if you are mobile, you are out in the open. You are vulnerable to attacks from all directions, unlike being barricaded. So, being in a fort will keep you alive longer."
If you are mobile you can escape in all directions unlike barricade in one house.
"-You do have a greater chance of finding food, but it is less safe to get the food. Being mobile will make you go into unfamiliar places, so you will be unsure of where a supermarket is, or a place with food."
There is something called maps you can get from almost any store and you probably have some in your house already.
"-There's no guaranteeing that you can get away. A zombie would try to grab you, and other zombies would be closing in on you at the same time."
This scenario will be the same for Con when the barricade breaks down. There is a greater chance of surviving in the open because you can simply go in other directions, while in a house it’s more difficult to run away.
"-Again, in a city with a population of a million, there will be plenty of supplies for one person."
Like I said before you will be caught as you try to sneak out of the barricade.

Pros about being Mobile

* There are many directions to run away when zombies are chasing you.
* You can quickly run into places for supplies and get out before zombies catch you.
* You can acquire gun most likely than being at one place.
* You have better chance of surviving because you can always find food along the way.
* you can escape the 1 million population city.

Thank you Con making this debate so fun.
You are really good. :)

BillNyeTheUSSpy

Con

BillNyeTheUSSpy forfeited this round.
nerdykiller

Pro

I see that my opponent has forfeited round 3, which shows that I have proved my point well.

I will restate the major pros for being mobile and the cons for being barricaded.
*You have directions to run away when zombies are chasing you.
*You can quickly retrieve supplies while being mobile.
*You can acquire weapons more easily than staying at one place only.
*You are more likely to obtain vital food supplies.
*You can escape the 1 million population city, before everyone becomes zombies.

Cons for Barricading

Read arguments and rebuttals in round 2.

Barricade means death because you are basically trapping yourself.
You will run out of supplies when you are barricaded.
If you try to sneak out for food the zombies that are surrounding your house or barricade, they will sense you with their smelling and hearing senses.
There isn't that much weapons in your house.
Like I already said in round 2, melee weapons that are found inside houses are useless when you are surrounded by tens and tens of zombies.

If you are in a barricade you will die sooner or later.
If you are mobile there is greater chance of surviving.
Please take a look at my rebuttals and arguments in round 2.

Thank con for a good debate.

BillNyeTheUSSpy

Con

As always, I'm the worse at posting arguments on time.

And also, let me remind you of what you want to do. "You want to live as long as possible."

Excellent job on your rebuttals. Since there might not be enough space for all of my rebuttals, I'll just combine all the ones that seem to be similar.

First set of rebuttals

""You will be more safe than being out in the open streets."
I disagree because in the open streets you have more chance of escaping if zombies came after you. You will probably out run the zombie and you have many directions to run if you are caught in the open field. If you are in a barricaded place you can't run away when the zombies break in and surrounds you."

-Using one of your sources, [1], out running zombies can be very difficult. This comes from "Fast moving zombies."
"...Zombies are portrayed as fast moving super-predators who seem to take on animal-like movements and hunting techniques. They sometimes run on all fours or sprint long distances until they have caught their prey. Sometimes they seem to go on the prowl in a zombie pack looking for people to devour. They can smell and hear you and there is no escape once one is on your trail." [1]

""Unlike constantly moving, you know your surroundings better while being barricaded."
I disagree because you would know where you are going if you have a map for next town, you would probably survive. You can go to a store and simply get a map. Some people like me have maps in my own home, so I would've grabbed the map before I left. Map does tell you about your surroundings by telling you the streets, stores, and etc."

-Even though you do have a map, you may have been to the next town once or twice. You know your city much better, since you live there. The next town will seem unfamiliar and you won't know where there may be an alley or somewhere where zombies can ambush you.

""If there are rescue teams sent by the government, you can shoot your gun or some noise-maker to bring their attention."
Shooting a gun will be a bad decision because its only a chance you might get the teams' attention and you would be attracting zombies to your barricade.

-"...the Air Force is the only service with forces dedicated entirely to CSAR. Whether ... surrounded by a hostile enemy ... isolated personnel know they can rely on our Air Force CSAR professionals to do their job. Every day CSAR assets conduct operations across the spectrum of conflict. These dangerous missions are inherently high risk." [2] The rescue teams would be able to protect you from the zombies when they get to you. Of course, they would have some sort of weapon with them.

*Where would you get a gun?
http://www.gallup.com...;
-I said "If there are rescue teams sent by the government, you can shoot your gun *OR* some noise-maker to bring their attention."

""Using melee weapons to keep zombies out won't bring much attention to your area."
I will assume the melee weapons will be something like a knife, wooden stick, baseball bat, and etc. These melee weapons are example is something every house hold has most likely to have. These melee weapons have an important flaw, which is the length of the weapon. Baseball bat's length is usually 32 inches, which is pretty long but won't be able to be used effectively in a fight against many zombies."
-"These melee weapons have an important flaw, which is the length of the weapon. Baseball bat's length is usually 32 inches, which is pretty long..." I'll just assume that my opponent means that a short weapons is better than a longer weapon. A longer weapon will keep the zombies farther away from you than a shorter weapon.

""When there is no more food, you can always sneak out and go to the nearest store with food, then sneak back into your hiding place."
http://zombies.monstrous.com...;
-"... Zombies are already dead so they use their eyes they use smell and hearing..." So you are saying that even though you kill them they can still smell and hear you? "...Basically if you try to sneak out you will soon be surrounded by waves of hungry zombies." Yes you would. Since you are being out in the open looking for food or shelter more often and earlier than me, you would probably be killed first. I would probably run out of supplies in about three days, so, being mobile for three days would mean three days of being attacked by waves of hungry zombies in the open.

Second set of rebuttals

""-You aren't exactly trapping yourself. You are keeping zombies out. Even if they do get in, it will most likely happen in only one spot of your fort, creating a choke point that can be easily defended."
If zombies do get in you lose a section of the barricade is still bad for con because every time zombies break in to one area the barricade will soon be out of space that zombies didn't infiltrate already."
-As said in round 1, "Barricading: a defensive barrier hastily constructed". You can hastily repair the section that was broken. Since you say that zombies attack in waves, there will be time to do so.

""-There should be many materials in your fortification, like chairs or tables. If needed, you can even use dead zombies, but at that point, you should look for more supplies outside, and then return to your fortification."
Like I already said the zombies will sense you. If you somehow get materials then you leave yourself in the open for the zombies to attack you because you are bringing materials in the barricade and you probably won't be able to fight a horde while carrying something like a table or chair."
-If I got a chair or table, you can use those as melee weapons too. I will take these chairs as an example, [3], which is about 30.5 inches long. You can keep the zombies pretty far away from you.

""-There's no guaranteeing that you can get away. A zombie would try to grab you, and other zombies would be closing in on you at the same time."
This scenario will be the same for Con when the barricade breaks down. There is a greater chance of surviving in the open because you can simply go in other directions, while in a house it's more difficult to run away."
-Using one of your sources, "A bite or scratch from a zombie can lead to death." [1] Basically, getting hit once will kill you. My opponent will be outside looking for food and shelter before me, so he has a greater chance of getting killed before me.

If you are mobile, you are vulnerable from attacks from all sides. As said in [1], "A bite or scratch from a zombie can lead to death." Basically, you can get killed in one hit. Since my opponent will be outside before I will, he will have a higher chance of getting killed before me. And, I will be inside a fortification, so I will not be as vulnerable to attacks as my opponent. I believe that being barricaded will keep you alive longer than being mobile.

[1] http://zombies.monstrous.com...
[2] http://www.globalsecurity.org...
[3] http://www.overstock.com...
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
Just got to say that some points con made is more harmful for the Con as they are for the pro.
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
Dude Michael read your last round again.
Some parts I think you misunderstood them.
Anyway good debate.
Posted by CapsLock 6 years ago
CapsLock
I think by what "Vincent", or I shall say Pastafarian means is that after 3 months of the apocalypse there wouldn't be as much as a rampage as there is in the first days-- where there is looting, rape, murder, etc
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
Vincent this is happening all over the world.
So, the government is basically not able to kill all of them or even kill half.
Posted by Pastafarian 6 years ago
Pastafarian
after 3 months of the apocalyspe-- i would LOVE to go out and body surf finding and looting items.
Posted by Pastafarian 6 years ago
Pastafarian
Me personally-- I wouldn't have run out in the city and body surf in 500,000 people.
Posted by Pastafarian 6 years ago
Pastafarian
I think what he's saying Kevin is that you shouldn't go out while there is so many out there "right" now. You should go out maybe when everything is getting lighter, by lighter i mean that something like 10,000 zombies or so died because of hunger-- and the rest are slowly diminishing by the National Guard, CIA, NSA, etc
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
What I mean is that you should get out of the city while you have the chance don't you think CapsLock?
If the number of zombies are increasing by the day you should try to escape.
If you are in a high elevated building, you will run out of food sooner or later.
Posted by CapsLock 6 years ago
CapsLock
Interesting-- but wouldn't it be that if you were mobile in a city with 500,000 zombies rampaging towards you-- your screwed mate. It's better to be on a higher elevation barricading with as many survivors you can rummage-- preferablly 5-8 as shown on Zombie Survival Guide.
Posted by Pastafarian 6 years ago
Pastafarian
I mean in a situation. Where are you? Are you in Antarctica, Los Angeles, Mojave Desert? All factors change within the locations.
Vote Placed by Cobo 6 years ago
Cobo
nerdykillerBillNyeTheUSSpyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll Give Pro argument vote becuase con was countering himself sometimes. An plus Con forfieted. And plus it seemed con want the advantages of locking up with the advantages of staying mobile.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
nerdykillerBillNyeTheUSSpyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Too silly to spend time reading.