mars4435
OpinionPersom121

Dylann Roof death penalty

OpinionPersom121
Started: 7/12/2015 Category: News

mars4435

Con

I understand that the person killed innocent people and that is a serious crime against humanity, especially the victim's close relatives and loved ones , but in the long-term putting Dylann Roof in life imprisonment is the best resolution. The way this would be best sentence instead of a death sentence is because if you were to sentence him to death he would feel only physical pain for a certain amount of time depending what type of way he dies ,while if you imprisoned him for life isolating him from other people while receiving a physical beating every once in a while not only would it mean him feeling physical pain but with him being in prison isolated from other people and also doing the same thing everyday continuously would surely make him fell insane which would bring mental insatiability as well. As a conclusion , while a death penalty will only bring pain for a few seconds while an imprisonment for life would bring a life time of torture and suffering to criminals and justice to the innocent.
OpinionPersom121

Pro

I accept your challenge. To start off I would like to state Dylan Roof has killed 9 innocent people who did not deserve to die, and his reason for doing so was because he hated black people and he felt they didn"t belong here on earth and so he murdered these people. In other words he committed a hate crime. You stated in your argument that in a life sentence he would be "isolated" and get a "beating every once in a while" but we do not know this for sure that this is what will happen if he were to be sent away for life. Also you say how he will feel insane, but in order for that to happen it does take time for a person to start to start to feel insane. Lastly if he does get the death penalty it will serve justice for the families because with the death penalty he is dead but if he is in prison he is still alive and breathing unlike his victims who are dead, but I do see the points you make and I understand your side to this argument.
mars4435

Con

First, I would like to apologize for replying so late I was not on debate.org at that time and did not see that you responded. I would also like to say thank you for being respectful and understanding my side of the argument, I do understand why you stated the things you did and fully respect your view on the discussion. Now for the actual argument, your opening statement is that Dylan Roof has killed 9 innocent black people solely because of the color of their skin and that he committed a hate crime. The fact he did something like that is intolerable and wrong and to kill him would be almost be just as bad. I say this because if you have the choice to give a major criminal the worst punishment possible out of the choices of killing them and shorten the persons life span and after they're dead not feel any pain or suffering even though they did something incredibly wrong, or keep them alive and have them feel the wrath of justice harsher then they could have ever fathom . After that you said the things I said about him in the life sentence being "isolated" and get a "beating every once in a while" may not happen if he was not killed which I understand but if he didn't get killed they do the worst things possible to him. Again I do see your points and fully understand your opinion. Thank you for having an opinion on this topic.
OpinionPersom121

Pro

It is quite alright thank you for apologizing though i appreciate that. I see what you are saying, however he can also become a symbol to people who are similar to him and want a race war against blacks and whites or any other race in general to let him live is showing in a way that you can kill people and in a way get away with it I say this because if he does get life he is still alive and is not getting any harm done to him but if he gets the death penalty it shows people that you can"t get away with murder and you can"t do crimes like this because you hate a race or something like that, and the death penalty was said to be a lethal injection and lethal injections can at time cause harm because it can be repeatedly applied to the person and it stops the breathing then the heart. There still can be pain given to him.

(source of how lethal injection effects the body https://en.wikipedia.org...)
(source of the death penalty Dylan Roof will get http://www.washingtonpost.com...)
mars4435

Con

First, he may feel physical pain but how about mental pain? For all you know he may not care if he dies. If he dies he feels physical pain for a short or long time then doesn't feel anything after that . He needs to feel more consequences then physical ones. He needs to know that what he did was wrong. And if he doesn't he needs to feel the consequences both physically and emotionally killing him does one of those ,the more unimportant one. And if you kill him he won't feel the hatred and humility that comes with doing something so terrible if you keep him alive you can have his time in prison be worse then death and make him wish that he'd die while he watches his world shatter into a million pieces. Now what option is worse?
OpinionPersom121

Pro

Like you said we don"t know "he may not care if he dies" but on the other hand we don't know if he does care if he dies, because we don't know what is going on in his head we don"t know what he exactly feels about his situation. And we still don"t know for sure that he will feel this emotional breakdown either way his "world shatters" as he is put to death slowly fading off because he can no longer carry out his plans to begin this war against blacks and whites and he can no longer achieve this evil goal of his. Also even if he is in prison we are not sure he will ever feel this "hatred" for what he has done or regret for what he has done for all we know he may not regret what he did he might feel like he did a good job on killing these people he is still alive he might think "hey look at this I killed these black people and you know what I don't care" we honestly dont know what will happen if he does go to prison and what will happen if he does go to the death penalty, but in the end he deserves to die because of all the pain he has caused and the fact he can be a symbol to other people and if he does not get what should be given more of these tragedies will happen and there will wind up becoming a war of races and his evil goal will wind up being achieved by a follower who was inspired by him and was not shown the consequences that will come by doing following this man.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
There's no chance he doesn't get the death penalty.
Vote Placed by RevNge 2 years ago
RevNge
mars4435OpinionPersom121Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's main contention in this debate was that the life sentence would be more fit of a punishment than the death penalty due to longer pain and suffering. However, assuming that this debate's BoP is shared (which it seems to be), Con has failed to prove this (and in fact, prison life has improved greatly as of late). Even so, Pro has failed to present a valid contention that pressed her argument forward (depended too much on theoretical situations and pathos), so it's a tie for the arguments. Both debaters have shown good conduct throughout the debate, and while both debaters' grammar and format gave me a bit of a headache to read (it seemed to grow increasingly incoherent as I read to the end), they were both approximately at the same level. Ultimately, Pro gets the source points for being the only one to actually use sources, therefore being the only one to use evidence for some of the facts that she stated (none of which effectively supported her arguments, however).