Aldi
JacobAnderson

Early Marriage is harmful for people

JacobAnderson

Aldi

Pro

Early marriage can cause a lot of social and health problem
First I want to said that people who are getting marriage in early ages doing this because of accidents such as pregancy. And often this marriage is not so strong. because it was like not because of the love or something like that. It was because they have to do that, not because they want it. And also it often leads to divorce. Divroce become social problem because it cause really bad consiqunces. It is bring unhappiness to childhood of the children whos parents get divorced.
Second, it can cause psychological and maybe health problem because in the beggining of this marriage is good but for some time it become problem. it all because of argue between couples. If couple argue often, it leads to stress and to the feeling of unsatisfaction of life.
That is primary reasons why i think that early marriage is bad for people.
JacobAnderson

Con

Although I am frightened by your grammar and lack of concrete evidence, I am willing to debate you on this topic.

You said that young marriages lead to divorce, however, divorce is not exclusively for young couples. [1] shows the divorce rates for every state in the US, regardless of age married.

[1]http://www.huffingtonpost.com...;

I realize this argument was extremely short, but you gave nothing to argue and gave no evidentiary support.

Your go.
Aldi

Pro

Early marriage can cause severe problems like the following:

-Psychological and emotional stress like forced sexual relations, denial of freedom and personal development as household chores now become a priority.
-Denial of personal development and education.
-Maturity levels become an issue as the little girl is now expected to play the role of a mother.
-Girl children undergo severe health problems like pregnancy and childbirth.
-Girl brides are also involved in early childhood care.
-Threat to contracting sexually transmitted diseases increases when girl children are exposed to such an environment.
-As girl children are still vulnerable and submissive, they can be subject to the atrocities of domestic violence and abandonment.
-Mental and emotional stress in girl brides is high because they are not old enough to cope with maternal, marital or in law issues.
JacobAnderson

Con

I see a lack of evidence and sites, so assuming these are all true facts, which some are not, here I go.

-Where does the denial of personal development and education come into play? Many married couples continue to develop through their marriage; this can be by learning to trust their spouse more, learning to work together as a family unit, etc. But how does early marriage hinder a participants education?

-Early marriages do not only happen because the girl is pregnant. There are many more factors that you are failing to bring up in this debate.

-Refer to my last argument

-Refer to my last argument

-Anyone can get an STD if they have sexual contact with another human being. Married couples, and early married couples, are not the only people having sex.

-This is a stereotype. This is a fallacy. Anyone can be subject to domestic violence.

-Why are women the only people that cannot deal with the stress of marriage? If you are basing your argument of of the women giving birth, do you not realize that men often leave a teen mother because they are too stressed and afraid to raise the baby?

In Conclusion:
My opponent has only brought up childbirth as the reason for early marriage. He has yet to bring up any statistics or evidence, and he has multiple faults in his arguments.

Your go!
Aldi

Pro

Okay, here is statistics which you need so much:

http://dalrock.wordpress.com...

Factors of early marriage:

Love

This is by far the most logical reason for teenagers getting married. However, when you are young and inexperienced, you might not know what love really is. You have to realize that having a crush on someone can fool you into thinking that you are in love.

Typical examples that it's a crush and not love would be: wanting to get married to that someone because he/she is popular; because he's a sports hero; because she's the hottest girl in school.

These are not legitimate reasons to marry a person because these qualities change. One day high school will be over and he might not be the most popular guy that you know anymore or she might not be the hottest girl that you know.

You need to understand that the love that is required for marriage is unconditional love.

Pregnancy

Oh no, there is a baby on the way. We have to get married. This is one of the leading reasons for teenagers getting married. If your girlfriend is pregnant it's not to say that you should get married. Back in the 50s and 60s it might have been seen as the right thing to do but today you have other options.

You can have an abortion. You can give the baby up for adoption like in the movie Juno. You can raise the child as a single parent. These are options you should take time to research and get counseling on. Marriage is not a solution to an unplanned pregnancy.

-Despite declines in rates of teen pregnancy in the U.S., about 820,000 teens become pregnant each year. That means that 34 percent of teenagers have at least one pregnancy before they turn 20.
-79 percent of teenagers who become pregnant are unmarried.
-Utah's teen pregnancy rate is high, as well as Southern teen pregnancy but these are areas where women still get married prior to the age of 20 with some regularity (although this is changing).
-80 percent of teenage pregnancies are unintended.
-Nearly four in ten teenage girls whose first intercourse experience happened at 13 or 14 report that the sex was unwanted or involuntary.
-The main rise in the teen pregnancy rate is among girls younger than 15*
-Close to 25 percent of teen mothers have a second child within two years of the first birth.*

Insecurity and a Sense of Belonging
this is another significant reason for teenagers getting married so early in their lives. The solution here is that you need to work on yourself. You need to think about your insecurities and weaknesses and try to find a solution for each. Read; speak to your teacher; see a psychologist or social worker. They will help you with your insecurities.

We all want to belong and feel secure. There are many ways to get these qualities. You can join a club or society or do volunteer work. As you get out there , you'll make friends and start feeling confident. You'll find that you don't need to rely on your boyfriend or girlfriend for your emotional wellbeing. Marriage is not the solution for wanting to get rid of your insecurity.
JacobAnderson

Con

Yes, things do change over time, but as you and I both have shown, the divorce rates for all ages are pretty high, respectively. If love is required to marry, then why are adults able to marry? You have to experience these falls and these sad times in order to find out what love truly is, and if you start at an early age, then it may be possible that you can find someone you love, quicker.
I realize that young, immature minds do not grasp the concept as well as some adult minds do, but we can't discriminate against them and we can't say that their marriage is detrimental because adults have the same problems.

Also, you stated "79 percent of teenagers who become pregnant are unmarried." Does this not negate your whole argument that marriage is not solely because of teen pregnancies because there is such a high number of unmarried pregnant teens?

I mean, this is a hard topic to debate, as I am no expert on the topic. Neither or us have given sufficient support to sway the readers' opinions, but I suppose that they can still choose a winner.

Thanks.
Posted by Deathbydefault 2 years ago
Deathbydefault
I dislike the idea of marriage all together as well.
The argument here is that teens seem to have more issues with their young marriages than more experienced adults might, at least that's what I'm assuming. I can see obvious reasons why younger marriages wouldn't work out too well either, I'm a young guy myself. But for as many bad marriages I can see happening I can also see an equal amount of good marriages.
Age isn't the deciding factor in love.
Experience isn't the deciding factor in love.
It's all about how well they get along as a couple, how well they collide mentally. Sometimes it simply doesn't work out. There might be issues and what not that break them apart, but that's perfectly normal. It's just one of those things that you have to 'let sleeping dogs lie' on. You and I an no one else can really say that it will or will not work out, that's up for the two of them to decide.
As for the science portion of this I didn't find any supporting evidence on the defending part either. I can see that teens are much more emotional than many adults and what not. However, there is nothing that implies a young couple has any less of a chance at working out than any more adult couples.

I mean, were all kids at heart anyways, right? We just learned how to hide it better as we got older.
Posted by drouel 2 years ago
drouel
marriage is harmful- why bother, when you can be together regardless and walk away without hiring a lawyer causing a long tiring and painful process of divorce- besides, are the benefits or perks really worth
the potential losses? its just a piece of paper- buy yourself a pair of bonding rings and make your promises to one another, done.. 10yrs later, look back at your lives together and decide if its time for a change- :P
Posted by Srishti1411 2 years ago
Srishti1411
early marriage is a harm
Posted by Vox_Veritas 2 years ago
Vox_Veritas
If they are willing to brave temporary economic hardships then I don't see what the problem would be.
Posted by pereiramsc2014 3 years ago
pereiramsc2014
Getting married at a young age can be difficult. Usually the reason for marrying young could be pregnant or fall in love to quickly. And in most cases they end up divorcing one another.
Vote Placed by IslamAhmadiyya 3 years ago
IslamAhmadiyya
AldiJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both had similar conducts, but Con in my opinion provided the best and reasonable arguments and refuted Pro's assertions. He also used good and reliable sources.
Vote Placed by shyguitarist 3 years ago
shyguitarist
AldiJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made more of a sound argument.