pgoulaimpact
rougeagent21

Early Term Abortions

rougeagent21

pgoulaimpact

Pro

Early term abortions should be permitted... Ill present my case during the second speech if someone accepts this debate. Good luck to anyone who accepts. Also Early Term Abortion is defined as abortion within a month of conception.
rougeagent21

Con

Alright then, thank you for starting this debate. Seeing as you are the affirmative, the burden of proof is on you to show why early-term abortions should be permitted. Sir, whenever you are ready.
pgoulaimpact

Pro

Early Term Abortions should be permitted.
Contention 1) Mindset
When the cell is first fertilized it takes up to two months before the cells develops the ability to have feelings and brain wave patterns. Therefore when an Early Term Abortions (as defined as one month after conception) occurs it is not developed enough to be considered a baby yet.

Contention 2) Choices
Lets say for example a woman is walking down the street and all of a sudden a black van approaches. They grab the woman abduct her then rape her. When she becomes pregnant is not her fault and she might not be able to support for the child. Therefore when something like this happens as long as it is within the first month before the child has developed brain patterns and feelings, the woman should be able to choose whether or not she has to support her or not.
rougeagent21

Con

"to deprive of life in any manner; cause the death of"

This is the definition of "kill." When dealing with such a serious word, one must consider their actions carefully. While some argue against it, abortion is the act of depriving of life. My opponent offers in his second contention the "mindset" claiming that in an early-term abortion the life taken is not actually a baby. The definition of a "baby" is not concrete, and both sides are argued constantly. My opponent and I cannot agree on the definition of a "baby." Because of this, I will focus on the fact that abortion of any kind is the deprivation of life. Now to address his second contention.

He makes a rather rash statement here. While still slightly plausible, abortion remains the deprivation of a life. Whether or not the woman chose to be pregnant, she would be ACTIVELY KILLING were she to have an abortion. Therefore, abortions ought not be permitted.

This resolution deals with the permissibility of early-term abortions. Here is the definition of permit: "To legally condone or permit." (Also from dictionary.com) So, we know that abortion is the active killing, or depriving of life. Is killing allowed by law? Obviously not. Taking this into account, abortions of any type ought not be permitted since they are against the law, and active killing. For these reasons I can only negate the resolution. Thank you.
pgoulaimpact

Pro

My opponent attacked my second contention by saying that the mom is actively killing the cells. Well what happens when the mom has a problem where she cannot have children and she and the child would die. We should take in the consideration the fact that if both are going to die shouldn't we save the mother.

Also when saying that we are going to kill these cells, as I have proved in my first contention that at this stage they are in fact just cells, it should be wrong because we cannot kill a real person. Well with this in mind then my opponent is also saying that scratching your skin should be against the law. Now I would also like to stress to the public that this is not a debate about abortion in general. But rather a debate about early term abortion. In saying this I urge a vote in strong affirmation.
rougeagent21

Con

"A separate sentient being is defined as a living thing with different DNA than any other living thing."
-Prinston Science Journal-

A fetus at any point is proven to have separate DNA from either parent and is therefore scientifically proven to be it's own person with its own life.

It is because I agree with resolutionsmasher that I can only negate the resolution. Applying this to all of the previous arguments, I conclude this debate. Thank you.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Thats terrible! So now you decide who should live and who shouldn't?
Posted by younstownsoldier 7 years ago
younstownsoldier
there are many people living today that should have been aborted, then maybe the economy wouldn't be so bad
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
agreed lol
Posted by brendizzle29 7 years ago
brendizzle29
"I notice that everybody who is Pro-Abortion has already been born." Ronald Reagan
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
It ends HUMAN life. If we hold it to be so precious that we hold on to the protection of our rights, then why not do the same for a baby-to-be?
Posted by EnragedParrot 7 years ago
EnragedParrot
Con makes a very specious leap of logic when he claims that since abortion is ending life, and ending life is illegal, abortion should not be legal. Ending life isn't illegal. I end life every time a swat a fly on my coffee table, and every time a scratch my nose. There must be some other criteria for making abortion illegal than that it ends life.
Posted by trendem 7 years ago
trendem
"Well with this in mind then my opponent is also saying that scratching your skin should be against the law." - Pro
Pro won the debate here; then Con, instead of rebutting this point, changed his focus from living being to sentient being.
Posted by Nail_Bat 7 years ago
Nail_Bat
One line you quoted from what I guess was the Princeton Science Journal won't settle the issue, especially when it makes positively no sense outside of its context. Are bacteria sentient? They sure are according to that quote.
Posted by resolutionsmasher 7 years ago
resolutionsmasher
-Prinston Science Journal-

Vote Placed by resolutionsmasher 7 years ago
resolutionsmasher
pgoulaimpactrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by saamanthagrl 7 years ago
saamanthagrl
pgoulaimpactrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by EnragedParrot 7 years ago
EnragedParrot
pgoulaimpactrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Epicism 7 years ago
Epicism
pgoulaimpactrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by brendizzle29 7 years ago
brendizzle29
pgoulaimpactrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by trendem 7 years ago
trendem
pgoulaimpactrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
pgoulaimpactrougeagent21Tied