lennartvb
omelet

Early payment of bills will boost economy

omelet

lennartvb

Pro

Hi,

http://pay8910.wordpress.com...

in economic downturn, cash is short. A first reaction is to pay our bills a few days later. I must admit, we also did it. At the moment we are all waiting for each other to take the first step and start paying our bills on time again.

Let us break the vicious circle on September 8, 2010 by paying euro, dollar 10.00 more, 10 creditors or 10 days earlier.

This could give our economy an enormous boost!
omelet

Con

My opponent's plan will not boost the economy in a meaningful way.

I.
People pay bills late due to a cash shortage.
In order to pay bills early, the purchase of other goods and services that would otherwise have been bought elsewhere must be delayed.
My opponent's plan moves economic harm to other companies rather than eliminating it.

II.
The cash value of bills does not change when bills are paid earlier.
The time between bills does not change when bills are paid earlier.
Therefore bill-collecting companies' cash flow does not change when bills are paid earlier.

=Aside=
Note that my opponent does not back his argument up at all. He has claimed that paying bills earlier gives the economy an "enormous boost," but he has failed to give us any reason to accept this claim. He is likely not here to argue, he is here to advertise for his blog. Without a good R2 from my opponent, I will forfeit R2 so that this debate does not appear on the front page.

Thanks for reading.
lennartvb

Pro

Hi,
Thanks for accepting.

Regarding your aside:
1) Next time I will back up my arguments in an earlier stage.
2) The reference to my blog has been made, as I have made a short summary of my earlier 'debates'.

re. I, how to finance paying earlier
1) sell excess stock & machinery
2) stop buying stationary, or anything else that is not directly related to the stuff you are selling.
4) get rid of subscriptions, lease etc, as much as possible.
5) have your sales invoices sent out as early as possible.

re. II, cash value
1) Cash value does increase as shorter time periods will decrease the chance of default.

Also,
Trying to pay earlier makes companies think of their corporate finance structure and place in the total supply chain. Healthy management of working capital increases the value of a company.

- not related to me in any way -
http://www.tenzor.co.uk...
omelet

Con

Responses:

I.
1. People don't have excess stock or machinery laying around to sell. The resolution is about paying bills earlier rather than later.
2. By not buying stationary, the stationary company loses the money that the bill collecting company gets. The harm is not eliminated, it is moved.
3. My opponent skipped #3.
4. My opponent does not adequately clarify this point. Get rid of subscriptions to what? Even so, someone loses business in subscribers, and the economic harm would be shifted, not eliminated.
5. Most people don't send out sales invoices. This is irrelevant to the general topic.

II.
1. Paying bills earlier does not produce a shorter time period. The time between payments is still a month for monthly bills. The cash value of the bills remains the same, and the bill collecting company ends up with the same amount in their pockets in the end.

Good budgeting can be done with or without early bill payment. Early bill payment is not helpful per se.

Thanks.
Posted by lennartvb 7 years ago
lennartvb
Well, Omelet, thanx for accepting my debate and having the courtesy to take my short debate seriously. This was my first introduction to this medium and it was a good experience. I better understand the rules now.

Re grammar and Speeling :), this must have its origin in the fact that I am Dutch so not a native speaker. (ok no excuse, just an explanation

Ok, I better understand the audience now, and you are right about small business policies.

I will advocate debate lessons in Dutch schools.

Kind regards,

Lennart
Posted by omelet 7 years ago
omelet
RFD:

Conduct: TIE
While PRO did not have the courtesy to even explain what he was talking about in the opening argument, CON made accusations against PRO that may not have been fair. This evens out.

Spelling/Grammar: CON
PRO had terrible spelling and grammar.

Arguments: CON
PRO had weak rebuttals, and failed to even have a case in the first round. He seems to have wanted the debate to be about small business policies, but he failed to even allude to that until the second round, and in fact made it seem like he was just talking about ordinary people paying their bills "A first reaction is to pay our bills a few days later. I must admit, we also did it," and "let us break the vicious circle." He seemed to be urging the people of debate.org to join his cause, but the vast majority of people here are not making policies for small businesses.

Sources: TIE
Neither debater used sources. PRO posted two links, but he didn't reference them or use them at all (though he did copy and paste his arguments from his own blog, which he linked to).
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
lol, nobody wants this debate.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
I don't have the time to commit to this debate.
Posted by lennartvb 7 years ago
lennartvb
I deleted the age constrained. Thanks for your comments. ref is made to http://pay8910.wordpress.com...
Posted by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
Same.. Good luck finding a debater that's your age..
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
It's when people set an age/criteria for the debate. People who don't meet that criteria can't accept the debate.
Posted by dasamster 7 years ago
dasamster
What does that mean? What does it matter?
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Same
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
You cannot accept this challenge because you do not match the Instigator's age and/or rank criteria.
Vote Placed by gbpacker 7 years ago
gbpacker
lennartvbomeletTied
Vote Placed by belle 7 years ago
belle
lennartvbomeletTied
Vote Placed by omelet 7 years ago
omelet
lennartvbomeletTied