Youngastronomer
chocninjaman

Earth is flat (disk or infinite plane?)

Youngastronomer

Youngastronomer

Con

Greetings, I will argue Earth isn't flat and not a disk or an infinite plane. Pro will argue it is.

1) Acceptance
2) View or opinion
3) Rebuttals
4) Defense

Rules
1) Sources
2) No forfeiting
3) No ad hominem
4) No profanity
5) No trolling
chocninjaman

Pro

Hey ya'll, straight talk ok? There's some flat out
things I gotta say. Roundies, please hear me out.
Stop bending theories, time to straighten things
out.

Edging in my bedroom got me thinkin' bout the edge,
not the guy from U2. the fudging earth ledge
Gotta prove you roundies wrong so I strolled
outside, flat cap, flat battery, lets theorize

I took a really long stick and put it on the ground,
that bich stayed flat cos the earths not round!

The earth is flat and i'll prove it in this song,
just like my mountain dew that's been out too long

My credit card, FLAT
My ruler, FLAT
This paper, FLAT
Where I live? FLAT
The tires on my bike? FLAT
The soda in my hand? FLAT
My singing pitch? FLAT
This whole fuking world? FLAT

Open your damn eyes - you round earth clown.
Take a quick look - the sky is up not down

If the earth is round and we're sitting on the top
then stuff at the bottom probably fell off.

DRAGONS FLY AT THE EDGE OF THE EARTH,
BEEN SOARING THROUGH THE SKY SINCE OUR FLAT WORLDS
BIRTH.

YOU'RE NOT BELIEVING THIS? AND CALLING US SCHMUCKS?
I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT'S ROUND, TAKE A LOOK AT DEEZ NUTS!

My credit card, FLAT
My ruler, FLAT
This paper, FLAT
Where I live? FLAT
The tires on my bike? FLAT
The soda in my hand? FLAT
My singing pitch? FLAT
This whole fufing world? FLAT

Clearly the moons flat, there's no dark side.
Nobody went there - so NASA fufing lied.

Hey roundies, hows that hot core doing?
You're filling kids head with the sheet you're spewin'

So I took a big boat to the edge of the world,
and before my little eyes the truth unfurled,

There were dragons, beasts and awful things like that,
I sailed right home to tell everyone - the worlds flat.

My credit card, FLAT
My ruler, FLAT
This paper, FLAT
Where I live? FLAT
The tires on my bike? FLAT
The soda in my hand? FLAT
My singing pitch? FLAT
This whole fuking world? FLAT

UH EXCUSE ME SIR I BELIEVE YOUR FACTS AREN'T SOUND,
THE CIRCUMFERENCE OF THE EARTH IS 40 MEGA METERS ROUND

If the world is flat, which projection is factual?
Mercator, Gallpeters, or maybe the sinusoidal?

A globe is always right, the flat must be distorted,
which clearly means your theory is THWARTED!

SO THE EARTH, OUR HOME IS AN OBLATE SPHEROID
I'M DROPPING THE TRUTH, YOUR THEORY DESTROYED!

You think the earth's flat just like your sister's chest,
well THAT makes sense - you haven't seen REAL breasts!

Earth is the only planet not named after a Deity
It's a place of science, and the home of your VIRGINITY!
Youngastronomer

Con

Greetings, thanks for the appalling conduct, now you've lost a few points for appalling conduct, spelling and lack of sources and broke a few rules which was pretty much nearly all of them.

Earth is round as shown by video evidence, it's practically everywhere, also notice the Verrazano Narrow-Bridge, was designed with Earth's roundness in mind, it's 2 towers, seperated by 1300 meters and perfectly vertical are nonetheless 41mm further away at the top than at the bottom, due to Earth's curvature.
https://gyazo.com...
https://gyazo.com...

My opponent claims the moon is flat, this is again an easy-to-debunk statement. The moon can do things that a disk can never do, and that's stages of different "shapes" seen from space, exactly what you see during a lunar eclipse.
https://www.youtube.com...

Ships: Ships tend to "sink" down when they get further away, this is because Earth is curved, this video zoomed well into the ship from 12 miles away (claimed but not sure as the video was made by a flat earther). The ship looked like it was sinking but no, it's actually going down the imperfect ball shaped Earth.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://gyazo.com...

"You think the earth's flat just like your sister's chest,
well THAT makes sense - you haven't seen REAL breasts!"
More appalling conduct? Considering that, I don't think it's like my "sister's" breasts, (I have no sister), you're behaving like an utter pillock in this debate, Earth is not a cylinder-like ship or rocket shape or even shrapnel shell shaped like breasts, it's an imperfect sphere like I have said. You've done one appalling comparison.

Your tyres are not flat unless they are punctured, the items you compare the earth to were invented by us and man-made and is obviously made to be flat. Your singing pitch is flat? It's not even a solid matter.

"SO THE EARTH, OUR HOME IS AN OBLATE SPHEROID
I'M DROPPING THE TRUTH, YOUR THEORY DESTROYED!"

My opponent appears angry there using caps and an exclamation mark, you're dropping the truth right? Good one, no sources, no evidence, just ad hominem, profanity and trolling.

Maybe next argument you won't behave like an utter idiot.
chocninjaman

Pro

Bee Movie Script

According to all known laws
of aviation,

there is no way a bee
should be able to fly.

Its wings are too small to get
its fat little body off the ground.

The bee, of course, flies anyway

because bees don't care
what humans think is impossible.

Yellow, black. Yellow, black.
Yellow, black. Yellow, black.

Ooh, black and yellow!
Let's shake it up a little.

Barry! Breakfast is ready!

Ooming!

Hang on a second.

Hello?

- Barry?
- Adam?

- Oan you believe this is happening?
- I can't. I'll pick you up.

Looking sharp.

Use the stairs. Your father
paid good money for those.

Sorry. I'm excited.

Here's the graduate.
We're very proud of you, son.

A perfect report card, all B's.

Very proud.

Ma! I got a thing going here.

- You got lint on your fuzz.
- Ow! That's me!

- Wave to us! We'll be in row 118,000.
- Bye!

Barry, I told you,
stop flying in the house!

- Hey, Adam.
- Hey, Barry.

- Is that fuzz gel?
- A little. Special day, graduation.

Never thought I'd make it.

Three days grade school,
three days high school.

Those were awkward.

Three days college. I'm glad I took
a day and hitchhiked around the hive.

You did come back different.

- Hi, Barry.
- Artie, growing a mustache? Looks good.

- Hear about Frankie?
- Yeah.

- You going to the funeral?
- No, I'm not going.

Everybody knows,
sting someone, you die.

Don't waste it on a squirrel.
Such a hothead.

I guess he could have
just gotten out of the way.

I love this incorporating
an amusement park into our day.

That's why we don't need vacations.

Boy, quite a bit of pomp...
under the circumstances.

- Well, Adam, today we are men.
- We are!

- Bee-men.
- Amen!

Hallelujah!

Students, faculty, distinguished bees,

please welcome Dean Buzzwell.

Welcome, New Hive Oity
graduating class of...

...9:15.

That concludes our ceremonies.

And begins your career
at Honex Industries!

Will we pick ourjob today?

I heard it's just orientation.

Heads up! Here we go.

Keep your hands and antennas
inside the tram at all times.

- Wonder what it'll be like?
- A little scary.

Welcome to Honex,
a division of Honesco

and a part of the Hexagon Group.

This is it!

Wow.

Wow.

We know that you, as a bee,
have worked your whole life

to get to the point where you
can work for your whole life.

Honey begins when our valiant Pollen
Jocks bring the nectar to the hive.

Our top-secret formula

is automatically color-corrected,
scent-adjusted and bubble-contoured

into this soothing sweet syrup

with its distinctive
golden glow you know as...

Honey!

- That girl was hot.
- She's my cousin!

- She is?
- Yes, we're all cousins.

- Right. You're right.
- At Honex, we constantly strive

to improve every aspect
of bee existence.

These bees are stress-testing
a new helmet technology.

- What do you think he makes?
- Not enough.

Here we have our latest advancement,
the Krelman.

- What does that do?
- Oatches that little strand of honey

that hangs after you pour it.
Saves us millions.

Oan anyone work on the Krelman?

Of course. Most bee jobs are
small ones. But bees know

that every small job,
if it's done well, means a lot.

But choose carefully

because you'll stay in the job
you pick for the rest of your life.

The same job the rest of your life?
I didn't know that.

What's the difference?

You'll be happy to know that bees,
as a species, haven't had one day off

in 27 million years.

So you'll just work us to death?

We'll sure try.

Wow! That blew my mind!

"What's the difference?"
How can you say that?

One job forever?
That's an insane choice to have to make.

I'm relieved. Now we only have
to make one decision in life.

But, Adam, how could they
never have told us that?

Why would you question anything?
We're bees.

We're the most perfectly
functioning society on Earth.

You ever think maybe things
work a little too well here?

Like what? Give me one example.

I don't know. But you know
what I'm talking about.

Please clear the gate.
Royal Nectar Force on approach.

Wait a second. Oheck it out.

- Hey, those are Pollen Jocks!
- Wow.

I've never seen them this close.

They know what it's like
outside the hive.

Yeah, but some don't come back.

- Hey, Jocks!
- Hi, Jocks!

You guys did great!

You're monsters!
You're sky freaks! I love it! I love it!

- I wonder where they were.
- I don't know.

Their day's not planned.

Outside the hive, flying who knows
where, doing who knows what.

You can'tjust decide to be a Pollen
Jock. You have to be bred for that.

Right.

Look. That's more pollen
than you and I will see in a lifetime.

It's just a status symbol.
Bees make too much of it.

Perhaps. Unless you're wearing
Youngastronomer

Con

You have went fully off-topic and I have reason to believe you've lost

Your conduct is poor, your arguments are poor, you need to start getting back on-topic, then I'll argue with you.
chocninjaman

Pro

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. " That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, " That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. " Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. " And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
Youngastronomer

Con

My opponent still shows signs of trolling and not giving any sources or valid arguments as to why Earth is flat.

https://www.youtube.com......
https://gyazo.com......

https://gyazo.com......
https://gyazo.com......
https://www.youtube.com...
This man went to the stratosphere approximately 30 miles up and the Earth was damn curvy there, therefore it's round.

Varying Star Constellations
This observation was originally made by Aristotle (384-322 BCE), who declared the Earth was round judging from the different constellations one sees while moving away from the equator.

After returning from a trip to Egypt, Aristotle noted that "there are stars seen in Egypt and"Cyprus which are not seen in the northerly regions." This phenomenon can only be explained if humans were viewing the stars from a round surface. Aristotle continued and claimed that the sphere of the Earth is of no great size, for otherwise the effect of so slight a change of place would not be quickly apparent." (De caelo, 298a2-10)
The farther you go from the equator, the farther the "known" constellations go towards the horizon, and are replaced by different stars. This would not have happened if the world was flat:
https://gyazo.com...
https://gyazo.com...
See the comparisons

My opponent does not do what he is supposed to which is disprove my points and stay on-topic.

{1} https://www.youtube.com...
{2} http://www.popsci.com...
{3} http://www.smarterthanthat.com...
{4} http://nerdist.com...
chocninjaman

Pro

Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about...from dying.
Anakin: He could actually...save people from death?
Palpatine: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
Anakin: What happened to him?
Palpatine: He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power...which, eventually of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death...but not himself.
Anakin: Is it possible to learn this power?
Palpatine: Not from a Jedi.
Posted by Youngastronomer 1 year ago
Youngastronomer
Fair point, hahahahaha
Posted by Youngastronomer 1 year ago
Youngastronomer
Fair point, hahahahaha
Posted by CodingSource 1 year ago
CodingSource
Too bad I can't vote, haha! :P You're still tied with a troll. haha! :)
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
It got reported, it didn't meet the standards, so yes.
Posted by Youngastronomer 1 year ago
Youngastronomer
You seriously had to delete it?
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: JasonShute// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Pro (Conduct, Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Well at least Pro made a song, thats all the credit i can give him though

[*Reason for removal*] This is not an RFD. The voter is required to examine the argumentation made in the debate and explain every point allocated.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: august55433// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Because the earth is not flat

[*Reason for removal*] This is not an RFD. The voter must evaluate the arguments given in the debate to come to a decision, and not merely impose their views on the debate.
Posted by madness 1 year ago
madness
imabench has been busted for hating gays and blacks, take a look before the mods remove it!!!!
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Youngastronomer 1 year ago
Youngastronomer
Might want to consider voting ASAP, I'm bored of tying debates I actually win.
Posted by Youngastronomer 1 year ago
Youngastronomer
Look at this troll, already off 3 points.
Vote Placed by Cat47 1 year ago
Cat47
YoungastronomerchocninjamanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro posted no real arguments, and instead wrote a song about his position. Con also gets Conduct points for Pro's insults in his R1 troll arguments, and breaking the rules.