TheUser
butterflyprincess3

Easter Rabbits are An Evil Tradition

butterflyprincess3

TheUser

Pro

Round one for acceptance only.
butterflyprincess3

Con

TheUser

Pro

.Here is historical data about Easter, the Early church and the church of Constantine...the Catholic church

Evils Of Easter

What do rabbits, eggs, and the resurrection of the Savior really have in common? The Easter story that most of the world knows is one of hope, joy, and an empty tomb. The Easter story of history is quite different.

Like many other popular holidays, Easter is actually a mix of ancient occultic practices and Biblical ideas. From the name of the holiday to the use of baskets and bunnies, many evil customs of idolatry have been fossilized in Easter. Thousands of years before 33AD the fertility goddess "Ishtar" (3)was worshipped as people died eggs and arose early for sunrise services.

The Encyclopedia Britannica (1934) states: "Easter, Ostara, or Ishtar was the goddess of Spring in the religion of the ancient Angles and Saxons. Every April a festival was celebrated in her honor. With the beginnings of Christianity, the old gods were put aside. From then on the festival was celebrated in honor of the resurrection of Christ, but was still known as Easter after the old goddess."(1)

The true origin of Easter is more about fertility and mother earth than the Bible. "The egg was a sacred symbol among the Babylonians. They believed an old fable about an egg of wondrous size which was supposed to have fallen from heaven into the Euphrates River. From this marvelous egg - according to the ancient story - the Goddess Ishtar (Semiramis), was hatched. And so the egg came to symbolize the Goddess Easter," The Jewish Encyclopedia, Vol. 9, p. 309. Three month old infants were sacrificed to Ishtar and their blood was used to dye eggs in honor of the false god. To imbue fertility upon their growing season, Pagans would roll these eggs on their fields. The eggs were then hidden from evil spirits to later be collected in baskets. (2)

The word "Easter" appears only once in the King James Version of the Bible (and not at all in most other translations). From this one appearance a true concern arises. Here, the King James translators mistranslated the Greek word for Passover as "Easter." Acts 12:4: "And when he [King Herod Agrippa I] had apprehended him [the apostle Peter], he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people." The Greek word for "Easter" in this verse is "pascha." This term is properly translated over 28 times in the Bible as "Passover." Passover is a yearly festival that recalls Israelite's exodus from Egypt. This holy day was given to mankind (and not just the Jewish people) as an everlasting commandment. Passover was part of the original faith of the Apostles and the Savior. Sadly, the mistranslation in the book of Acts is just one example of how the true festival of Passover has been replaced with the idolatry of Easter.

Neither the apostles nor the Messiah commemorated Easter. "Constantine the Great, Roman emperor, convoked the Council of Nicaea in 325. The council unanimously ruled that the Easter festival should be celebrated throughout the Christian world on the first Sunday after the full moon following the vernal equinox," says the History Channel. For the first 300 years after the Savior's crucifixion, the early church kept the festival of Passover as commanded in Leviticus 23.

(1)http://www.britannica.com...
(2) http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org...
(3)http://en.wikipedia.org...
butterflyprincess3

Con

Your arguments are extremely religious and historical and I have never dealt with this kind of argument before. Therefore, you must not blame me if my arguments are weak, unrealistic, or misinformed. I will state a logical argument, a troll argument, and a moral argument. I'm not sure how to rebut to your vast informational cache, so I will do that next round.

Arguments

1. Easter is a time of happiness
In Easter, everyone is happily bouncing around and enjoying the Springtime. Some people roll eggs (1) while others go on fun Easter egg hunts. Everywhere you go in Easter, people have little bunny ear headbands (2), eggs with brilliant patterns, and other neat pastimes. There is no reason to try to find odd customs and origins of this cute little harmless holiday. After all, the past is in the past!

2. You're taking things too seriously
You have written tons of historical information about the bible, the Jewish Encyclopaedism, etc. I did not have any time to skim over it because after reading the first five paragraphs I started to snore. Please take no offense, but you're taking things too seriously. Eggs are supposed to be eaten hungrily for breakfast or decorated with exciting flashy patterns!

3. Your sources are extremely complicated and confusing
I've read your sources. Unfortunately, I am merely a student and I did not understand your long and detailed sentences. Most of your argument is just quotes from different encyclopaedists and ideas of how Easter originated. You did not state that Easter was bad in any possible way. You were simply talking about it factually.

(1) http://www.recreation.gov...
(2) http://www.partycity.com...;
TheUser

Pro

Like all Roman Catholic "holy-days," Easter is evil. The festival is no where prescribed in Scripture, and its origin is thoroughly pagan. Now this may shock many uneducated Catholics and non-Catholics, but many today are certainly in need of a good jolt. May the Holy Spirit give us eyes to see and ears to hear.

What is the Roman Catholic, the Arminian, and even the secular reply to the charge that Easter is evil?

The sinful world replies that Easter is a special day to celebrate the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. To this Roman Catholic response comes the Biblical reply: the Bible no where commands Christians to set aside one special day out of the year for the remembrance of Christ"s death, burial, and resurrection; the Bible commands Christians to publicly celebrate the life, death, and resurrection of Christ on the first day of each week. For the Catholic Church, or anyone for that matter, to command that which is nowhere commanded by God in Scripture is blasphemy, and such blasphemous practice testifies that the Roman Catholic Church is the institution of Antichrist. The Bible says:

Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the Lord, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the Lord.
(Jeremiah 23:32)

Jeremiah is very clear: any worship not commanded by God is opposed by God, and it will not benefit those who practice such false worship"it will only be a curse to them. The proper method of worship is found in Scripture alone. The proper method of worship must be either explicitly stated or logically deduced from Scripture alone. Again, how we worship is to be limited by the Bible alone. That God will have His people worship him according to His own prescription, and to avoid methods of worship He has not prescribed, is clearly stated in Scripture. This teaching has come to be called the Regulative Principle Of Worship. The Bible says:

Deuteronomy 12:29
When the Lord thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeeds them, and dwellest in their land;

Deuteronomy 12:30
Take heed to thyself that thy be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying How did these nations serve their gods?

Deuteronomy 12:30
Even so will I do likewise. Thou shalt not do so unto the Lord thy God: for every abomination to the Lord which He hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.

I am sorry to hear that butterfly.
butterflyprincess3

Con

You don't make any sense to me. In fact, I won't even post any arguments. All you're doing is giving me an extremely confusing history lesson. You haven't even posted any rebuttals or clear arguments.

If you continue like this, then I will definitely win. Actually, perhaps some religious people will understand... I'm just too dull, aren't I?
TheUser

Pro

Buttterfly, you have not posted any arguments, besides Easter being a happy time, and people eating eggs.

I am sorry that you can not respond well to my arguments. You can't be too sure of your victory.
butterflyprincess3

Con

Egg Arguments
Eggs are fantastically delicious and mouthwatering. They an be served as scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, etc (1). They can also be decorated with many different lovely patterns and colors. Eggs can be served in a variety of different restaurants including pubs, bars, fancy restaurants, fast food restaurants, etc. I love eating eggs. Eggs can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I enjoy eggs and lots of other people enjoy eating eggs as well. Some eggs are eaten with omelets and others are eaten with bacon and toast. I really, truly, like eggs.

In conclusion, vote con if you like eggs! However, if you are a despicable obese human being with an unrealistic sense of humanity and a horrible conscience, I will let you vote for pro.

Picture source
(1) http://upload.wikimedia.org...
TheUser

Pro

You mainly talked about your own opinion. Your whole argument is based on opinion.

Easter bunny:

There's no story in the Bible about a long-eared, cotton-tailed creature known as the Easter Bunny. Neither is there a passage about young children painting eggs or hunting for baskets overflowing with scrumptious Easter goodies.

And real rabbits certainly don't lay eggs.

How the Moon Affects the Date of Easter

Why are these traditions so ingrained in Easter Sunday? And what do they have to do with the resurrection of Jesus?

Well, to be frank, nothing.

Bunnies, eggs, Easter gifts and fluffy, yellow chicks in gardening hats all stem from pagan roots. These tropes were incorporated into the celebration of Easter separately from the Christian tradition of honoring the day Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

According to the University of Florida's Center for Children's Literature and Culture, the origin of the celebration "" and the origin of the Easter Bunny "" can be traced back to 13th-century, pre-Christian Germany, when people worshiped several gods and goddesses. The Teutonic deity Eostra was the goddess of spring and fertility, and feasts were held in her honor on the Vernal Equinox. Her symbol was the rabbit because of the animal"s high reproduction rate.

Was the Last Supper a Day Earlier?
Spring also symbolized new life and rebirth; eggs were an ancient symbol of fertility. According to History.com, Easter eggs represent Jesus' resurrection. However, this association came much later when Roman Catholicism became the dominant religion in Germany in the 15th century and merged with already ingrained pagan beliefs.

The first Easter Bunny legend was documented in the 1500s. By 1680, the first story about a rabbit laying eggs and hiding them in a garden was published. These legends were brought to the United States in the 1700s, when German immigrants settled in Pennsylvania Dutch country, according to the Center for Children's Literature and Culture.

The tradition of making nests for the rabbit to lay its eggs in soon followed. Eventually, nests became decorated baskets and colorful eggs were swapped for candy, treats and other small gifts.

Sources: (1)
butterflyprincess3

Con

My opponent is being very silly. In fact he is being so terribly ridiculous that I will not post any arguments because of his stupidity. Enough said! I am obviously right and he is most certainly wrong.

In conclusion, vote for me if you like eggs and adorable little bunny rabbits!

Pictures of cute bunnies
(1) http://1.bp.blogspot.com...
(2) http://aprilpug.com...
(3) http://2.bp.blogspot.com...
(4) https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com...
(5) https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com...
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
TheUserbutterflyprincess3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not make a particularly comprehensive argument. Luckily, Pro never supported the resolution. He argued that it was unbiblical which, taken prima facie, is okay enough, but doesn't support it as an "evil tradition". Arguments to Con. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
TheUserbutterflyprincess3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PLAGIARISM committed by pro: http://gloriakc-thewaywithyeshua.blogspot.com/2009/03/evils-of-easter.html