Hello-Orange
CD-Host

Easy win for me

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Hello-Orange

Con

Full resolution: The purpose of this debate is for me to receive an easy win.

As a brief bit of background information, this debate is derived from ReformedArsenal's RFD on this debate -> http://www.debate.org...
My opponent was given the conduct voter as I was apparently trying to "Game the system" for a free win. From such a statement, it is both fair and logical to assume that they felt the only reason I partook in said debate in the first place was to tuck a free win under my belt.

Thus the purpose of this debate, is neither to actually debate, or even win. In fact I'll forfeit the debate portion right now, meaning that whoever accepts this debate will automatically win. Yay for you.

I instead want to use this debate to make a point, that being that winning or losing on this site is not important whatsoever. And furthermore, that I do not care whether or not I win or lose these debates.
I won't lie and try to say that there wasn't a time when these debates win/loss record where important to me. Obviously not on this account, but on my old account (now deleted) under the name Bangbang-coconut. I didn't want to put a sincere amount of effort into a debate, only to lose the round. That kind of sucks.

However after having eave the site for a while due to various personal issues needing to be taken care of, I came to a different opinion of what the purpose of debate it. It's to gain, and share knowledge.
When the purpose of debate for ay individual becomes winning, they stop getting better. They're no longer conditioned to healthy amount of doubt, instead they become self-righteous, and conceited. Any minor belief they hold suddenly becomes a crusade for them if it is questioned.

In short this kills debate.

I not only wish to express this for myself, but I also hope sincerely that each of you takes this to heart. Of course there are some battles where you must stick to your guns and not back down, but they will not happen on this site. (more likely than not anyway) please realize that there is an astute difference between debating in person, and debating behind a computer screen. The former my have some significance, while the latter should only serve to have fun with or learn from.

So in closing I sincerely do no care if I never win another debate on this site; that's not why I'm here. My desire in being on this site, the purpose of my continued membership, is to learn and have fun. For goodness sake, when I post a debate about something silly and off-beat, take it for what it is. Do no, and I mean do not over-analyze is and assume I'm simply trying to tuck another win beneath my belt; I assure where it that important to me I could easily win several debates on silly topics such as this without even trying.

Also a special shout-out to BlackVoid, who knows to take joke. Your RFD made me smile ;).
CD-Host

Pro

I’ll start by saying that I agree with Hello-Orange that debate and discussion have different ends. A discussion is often an exploration of an issue and that can be valuable. But a debate can be a test of a theory a chance to see if there are weaknesses in an already formed case.

A good analogy to this is positivism vs. scholasticism and rationalism. During the high middle ages and the enlightenment frequently one saw complex theories argued based on reason and rationality. It was in those areas were testing was applied though that the greatest innovations take place. Well argued idea are hypothesis until they are tested. Debating plays a role like testing for a case. It forces you to argue your position without someone who is looking for holes in your construction.

___

As far as win/loss, Buddha taught long ago that desire is the root cause of all suffering. Sure the score here doesn’t matter in the same way the score in a debate competition doesn’t matter, in the same way the score in any competition or sport doesn’t matter. Ultimately all loses in sports or games are tears in the rain and are swallowed by time.

But that is all there is to life, all accomplishment however how grand is temporary. The only meaning to anything is what we assign it. I'll close with Shelly's well known poem on this theme:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said:—Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Posted by Hello-Orange 6 years ago
Hello-Orange
@000Nike,
No I did indeed forfeit. In fact I want to lose this "debate".
The entire purpose of me posting it was to illustrate said purpose.
Posted by YYW 6 years ago
YYW
Reformed: my (unabridged) opinion of you is not something that would be prudent to post on an open forum. No good could possibly come from it... If you would like to know what I really think of you though, send me a friend request and I'll message you my thoughts.
Posted by ReformedArsenal 6 years ago
ReformedArsenal
YYW...

This is a debating website. Abrasive is part of the territory in many people's debating style. I am one of those people.

Thank you for your conclusions, next time be brave enough to simply say that you think I am abrasive and that I upset people. Your dancing around the bush is unimpressive.
Posted by YYW 6 years ago
YYW
@Reformed:

If I were the cynical type, I might come to the conclusion that the fundamental reason that you came to the conclusion that you did because this debate was essentially propagated upon an action that you took that offended someone. If I were the sarcastic type, I might note that this seems to be a recurring trend. Fortunately though I am neither cynical nor sarcastic... so naturally I neither came to the conclusion that you are just bitter because this "debate" made a farce of your RFD nor would I ever highlight the fact that your generally abrasive demeanor is upsetting to more than a few people.
Posted by ReformedArsenal 6 years ago
ReformedArsenal
"I came to a different opinion of what the purpose of debate it. It's to gain, and share knowledge."

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read, considering that the debate you are referencing consists of you and your opponent talking about people's birthdays, meeting girlfriend's parent's the first time, and how you like peanut butter cookies.

That debate had nothing to do with anything... let alone gaining knowledge. If anything "kills debate," It's people who do crap like you did.
Posted by YYW 6 years ago
YYW
I would like to point out the irony of judging something that clearly wasn't a debate, as a debate. There can be neither a winner, nor a looser. Feel free to judge as you may though, because there seems to be no incentive not to judge no matter how fallacious one's reasoning for the judgement -aside from precluding more than one "judgement" per member.

PS. lol
Posted by 000ike 6 years ago
000ike
@kohai: con does not tell me who to vote for. Con said he would forfeit, but he didn't forfeit. He responded to his required round (which was 1). In fact, this was not a debate. I countered your vote because I don't feel like someone should win for the hell of it. Not that winning means that much, but still.
Posted by YYW 6 years ago
YYW
This is perhaps the favorite thing (for I'm not really sure what to call it) I have read on this site in some time, however the situation that propagated it I'm not especially sure I approve of. Your point is well received, but in the future it would be best to keep discussions in the forums (just my thoughts).

As an aside, I agree with your distaste for legalistic interpretation of all things on this site (especially in the judging judging habits of certain members) because such a style does tend to comprehensively miss the bigger picture in favor of some nuanced detail that such members probably finds himself or herself clever that he/she is able to discover.
Posted by kohai 6 years ago
kohai
@000ike

"Thus the purpose of this debate, is neither to actually debate, or even win. In fact I'll forfeit the debate portion right now, meaning that whoever accepts this debate will automatically win. Yay for you."
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
I agree that you should look to learn rather than win, but if you have a really good record then its hard to not be disappointed if you lose. For instance, Grape, who is 80-4, would care a lot more about losing than mongeese, who is 118-104, even though they're both really good.
Vote Placed by Multi_Pyrocytophage 5 years ago
Multi_Pyrocytophage
Hello-OrangeCD-HostTied
Reasons for voting decision: Thought I would tie it further?
Vote Placed by Travniki 5 years ago
Travniki
Hello-OrangeCD-HostTied
Reasons for voting decision: This ought to be a tied debate-very insightful Mr.Orange
Vote Placed by curious18 6 years ago
curious18
Hello-OrangeCD-HostTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con told me to vote that way.
Vote Placed by 000ike 6 years ago
000ike
Hello-OrangeCD-HostTied
Reasons for voting decision: to even out kohai's vote. I disagree, Con didn't forfeit. t was a 1 round debate, how could he? He said that he "would" forfeit, but he didn't. The debate should be tied. Why give someone an easy win?
Vote Placed by kohai 6 years ago
kohai
Hello-OrangeCD-HostTied
Reasons for voting decision: What was that??? CON loses by forfeit