Byndam
johnlubba

Eating Meat is Ethical

johnlubba

Byndam

Pro

I think that eating meat is perfectly ethical. It is something that humans have done for years and years, and other animals have done it as well for a very long time. Life has always been survival of the fittest, and even with easier ways to obtain a wide variety of food, where only meat may have been available in years past. We should be thankful for any meat! I am completely against factory farming, but I believe that humane treatment of animals is key to many things in life. If animals don't graze enough, they don't trample the ground, contributing to climate change. I respect religious reasons for not eating meat, but cows release incredible amounts of methane into the air every day, which is wrecking the environment as we know it. To quote Ben Franklin:"...in my first voyage from Boston...our people set about catching cod, and hauled up a great many. Hitherto I had stuck to my resolution of not eating animal food... But I had formerly been a great lover of fish, and, when this came hot out of the frying-pan, it smelt admirably well. I balanc'd some time between principle and inclination, till I recollected that, when the fish were opened, I saw smaller fish taken out of their stomachs; then thought I, 'If you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you.' So I din'd upon cod very heartily, and continued to eat with other people, returning only now and then occasionally to a vegetable diet. So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."
johnlubba

Con

Thank you Byndam for creating this debate, I will defend the position that eating meat is unethical for human beings who are wish to consider themselves civilised.......

Eating meat in ethical in some cases where human beings must survive, but in such cases the human being must consider themselves as uncivilised, because in circumstances where a human being is civilised it is completely unnecessary to eat meat and the myth that humans need meat to obtain certain nutrients or vitality is easily busted by observing how the Shaolin Monks who are vegetarian by requirement can perform super human fetes and display strength and skills which are way above the average person who does eat meat....One monk called Shi Yan Ming even boasts the worlds most deadliest punch by far even breaking the record held by Bruce Lee,

http://www.history.com...

it is no secret that these monks perform super human fetes. and none of them eat meat to get the strength to perform such amazing skills is easily refuted by observing how strong and healthy the monks are able to live.

I would like to offer some quotes by very famous and intelligent people concerning the matter of eating meat....The first quote I will offer comes from a well loved scientist, Albert Einstein.

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet". ~Albert Einstein
This quote is not said whimsically or off the cuff, I believe Albert knew very well what he meant when he stated this and that is that the greatest chance of survival we have is to become a vegetarian race....My opponent states above in his first round how methane from cows is damaging the ozone, well that could be reduced significantly if we humans never bred the poor animals simply to kill them for their flesh to satisfy our taste buds and to supply fast food chains all across the planet.

No more characters allowed.
Thanks.
Byndam

Pro

My adversary earlier stated the fact that cows are bred to eat, and this increases methane. If nobody ate meat, the cow population would soar, therefore contributing to a warmer planet. Also, it was mentioned earlier that these cows are killed solely to provide meat for fast food chains. Metaphor as it may be, I think that factory farming is the sole contributor to cheap restauraunts like McDonalds, and that they are horrific establishments. I live in a rural area where one out of every five people farm. They farm meat. It is local, organic meat. These cows live happily, and are only killed when they begin to stop producing enough milk. Is it worth it to leave the stinking, rotten carcass for flies to play around? Or, is it better to dispose of the body humanely, by consuming it? I've heard people say that "food is food," but it isn't. When you consume a bag of potato chips, you fare far worse than when you eat meat. Red meat can be harmful to your health if you eat too much of it, but if you limit the amount of meat that you eat, you are eating healthily, getting protein, and reducing animal overpopulation.

Much of history has been reliant on meat. Could Lewis and Clark have opened up the west of the U.S. without deer, buffalo, etc.? Could the pilgrims have survived without venison? Could Sir Francis Drake have done what he did without salt pork? Even though this is long ago and we have access to more types of food, it is a simple and nutritious food source that provides for a lot of the worlds food.
johnlubba

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent again for his contribution to the second round, and now I would like to address his argument.

Firstly my opponent is of the impression that we would have more cows on the planet if they were not killed for consumption, as if killing them and eating them was reducing the number of cows on the planet instead of increasing the number....

In the United States, around nine billion animals are slaughtered every year (this includes about 150.4 million cattle, bison, sheep, hogs, and goats and 8.9 billion chickens, turkeys, and ducks) in 5,700 slaughterhouses and processing plants.

150 million cows are bred and killed purely for consumption, each year, this is what is increasing the amount of methane produced by cows which is what is causing the warmth of the planet to rise.....

http://www.answerbag.com...

I see my opponent also never addressed the quote I offered from Einstien who proclaims we stand the best chance of survival by switching to a vegetarian diet....

there are more quotes I would like to offer which offer food for thought.

Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds theirs. We live by the death of others: we are burial places! I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. ~Leonardo da Vinci

While we ourselves are the living graves of murdered beasts, how can we expect any ideal conditions on this earth? ~George Bernard Shaw

"Thou shalt not kill" does not apply to murder of one's own kind only, but to all living beings; and this Commandment was inscribed in the human breast long before it was proclaimed from Sinai. ~Leo Tolstoy

Finally, I would like to say that I need not the opinion of others and neither do I need any religious book to tell me that killing a sentient being which has a nervous system and senses to live and enjoy it's life, is wrong, it is wrong.
Byndam

Pro

Byndam forfeited this round.
johnlubba

Con

My opponent unfortunately forfeited

Vote con.
Posted by johnlubba 4 years ago
johnlubba
Thanks.
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
Con: Please double check your links before hitting submit. The error is both here, and on the forums.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
ByndamjohnlubbaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Forfeit. Spelling: Annoying font change, big words do not help a case, they just annoy us. Argument: Con shot down pro's case really well, and pro left. Sources: This was really close do to the limited value of con's, but they showed he was not making it all up off the top of his head (you know, he put the work in).
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
ByndamjohnlubbaTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
ByndamjohnlubbaTied
Vote Placed by rross 4 years ago
rross
ByndamjohnlubbaTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was good debate. It's a shame that Pro forfeited.