Eating meat

I have been vegetarian for a while now and many people have asked me why. I don't want to sound preachy saying this, but I feel eating meat is cruel. I am not going into too much detail here, until someone accepts this debate.

Eating meat might be cruel for some people, but does that mean that eating vegetables doesn't mean cruel?Vegetables are also lives, it doesn't mean that it is not cruel just because that vegetables won't shout when they feel pain.

I see your point of view here, however I am now going to make a point that may appear far-fetched. Animals eat vegetables a lot more than humans, and by you eating more animals, you are sort of consuming a lot more vegetables than me. So, you are a bit more of a vegetable murderer than me! :p.

Anyway, I will sort of start, with more of a serious point then the one I made before. To begin with, by not consuming meat, it has been scientifically proven that your body is less vulnerable to disease. Vegetarian diets are more healthful than the average American diet, particularly in preventing, treating or reversing heart disease and reducing the risk of cancer. Clearly, this is a good thing!

Also, meat has been proven to be one of the USA's biggest use of money. To be honest, this money is paying for the brutal slaughter of a perfectly-good animal, just for the meal-time pleasure of a human. Sorry, for sounding preachy yet again!

To add to this, I have found a quote from a expert to back my point up:

"If you switch from the standard American diet to a vegetarian diet, you can add about 13 healthy years to your life," says Michael F. Roizen, MD, author of The RealAge Diet: Make Yourself Younger with What You Eat. "People who consume saturated, four-legged fat have a shorter life span and more disability at the end of their lives. Animal products clog your arteries, zap your energy and slow down your immune system. Meat eaters also experience accelerated cognitive and sexual dysfunction at a younger age."

Surely, a longer life to spend doing the things you love is a good thing?

I have more points, however I will save them until you answer in the next round.

Soure used:

And personal experience.

Sorry if I forgot to say hello :p
Well, I have to admit that vegetarian diet is absolutely more healthy than an average American diet (It's basically high fat foods like fried foods, bacon...etc) , but what about the diets of other countries?Besides, I'm afraid of that you can't get enough Vitamin B12 by eating vegetables only. Meat is the main source of Vitamin B12 for a people who eats both vegetable and meat .If you only eat vegetables, then Vitamin B12 might be a problem for you.
I'm not really sure about the US money part since that I'm not an American.
About the meal-time pleasure part, think about it, human eat meat=cruel, but animals eat meat=natural?That doesn't make sense!
About the 13 healthy years part, vegetarian diet is not the main cause of longer lives, without other important elements that make you healthy like sports, you still can't live longer.
In the end, I wanna mention that every kind of diet is good, diet with meat is also pretty good! You can still get a long-lived life with diets that has meat in it, just remember to do sports, be happy, and enjoy your life!

You said: "Besides, I'm afraid of that you can't get enough Vitamin B12 by eating vegetables only."

True that the highest source of vitamin B12 is meat, however cheese, eggs and other dairy products are also very high in it. Also, vegetarians do not just eat vegetables. Due to not getting protein from meat we must eat nuts, cheese, milk, etc to get it instead.

I am also not American, however I got my figures from american sources, that are quite similar to British figures.

You also said: "About the meal-time pleasure part, think about it, human eat meat=cruel, but animals eat meat=natural?That doesn't make sense!"

I'm don't think I mentioned animals eating meat to be honest. Because that argument would be completely separate to the one we're having now.

However, I agree with what you said at the end about a longer life.

Another reason why being a vegetarian is good, is that giving up meat actually isn't that hard to do! Many people just presume that by being a vegetarian, you have to eat vegetables and nothing else. Clearly, that is not true, because to be honest, a meat-free diet doesn't feel that different. Of course, it is different due to not eating meat, however I can still eat most of the foods that I've always enjoyed! Giving up meat is easy because you just stop. Temptation to return to meat eating, doesn't really occur with many people, to be honest! :p

tyrr forfeited this round.

I am not going to provide any more reasons, as my opponent has forfeited this round. However, I do ask for you to vote for my side of the argument.

tyrr forfeited this round.
Posted by Freyalibra3 2 years ago
Sorry, just as your comment was uploaded tyrr accepted.
Posted by AbhijeetWatts 2 years ago
I'm willing to accept this debate but can you lay out the additional rules and requirements for each round so that I can consider it?
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, provided weak arguments, used no sources. Con had sources to back her arguments, and was more organized.