Canuckleball
Talonflamestar

Eating meat

Canuckleball

Con

I think that the arguments in favour of eating meat do not hold up to critical scrutiny.
Talonflamestar

Pro

I love meat. It's rich in protein and taste delicious
Canuckleball

Con

Your argument is, I believe, that eating meat is morally acceptable because you enjoy it.

This is the most popular argument for eating meat, but I believe it is a flawed one. There are many things that some people, maybe even most people enjoy doing, that are morally wrong. Someone would not be justified in killing their neighbour because they enjoy killing people. Nor would someone be justified in eating a human infant because he thinks they taste good.

Therefore, the argument that eating meat is morally acceptable because it tastes good is a bad argument.

Meat is an excellent source of protein, as well as essential fats and other nutrients. However, eating meat is not the only way to acquire these nutrients. Therefore we have to morally justify that it is right to eat meat BEFORE we begin to talk about it's nutritional value.

I ask you to prove that killing animals for food is morally justifiable. Cheers!
Talonflamestar

Pro

Breeding exists! We kill father after calf is born that's it!
Canuckleball

Con

So your argument is that eating meat is morally permissible because A. no species will go extinct and B. once an organism has reproduced, it's life has no value.

While in an evolutionary sense this is true, as breeding means ensuring the survival of the species, in a moral sense this is a horrifying way of thinking.

Think of it this way. In the movie "Logan's Run", all people are executed at the age of thirty. The species survives, and there are no old people using up food and space and healthcare resources. Does this sound like an ideal world?

I think we can agree that we would not want to be executed after we have had kids. So, the argument that "It is right to eat meat because their species will survive" does not hold up. A species is actually a pretty abstract concept. A species does not have rights, or thoughts or feelings. It is just a collection of animals that are biologically similar enough to reproduce.

In summary, the argument that eating meat is morally acceptable because it will not cause extinction is a weak one, and the argument that a being that has reproduced can be killed simply because it has fulfilled it's "duty" of reproducing is mortifying.

I once again challenge you to demonstrate why killing animals for food is permissible.
Talonflamestar

Pro

Talonflamestar forfeited this round.
Canuckleball

Con

Ill waive this round to allow talonstar to rebut
Talonflamestar

Pro

Talonflamestar forfeited this round.
Canuckleball

Con

I will forfeit
Talonflamestar

Pro

Talonflamestar forfeited this round.