Ecotourism Does More Harm than Good
Debate Rounds (3)
A. According to Komo News, Ecotourism's human impact on nature is part of the natural process
1. Humans are part of nature, and their impact on nature is part of the World's natural processes.
2. This doesn't mean that humans should be wanton about their impact on nature.
3. It simply means that to consider all human impact on the environment as bad
B. According to New York Times by Adam Lipact, Some negative externalities from eco-tourism are ok
1. There are certainly some negative impacts from eco-tourism.
2. What is important is to recognize that they are and can continue to be limited to a tolerable level, given the benefits.
C. Ecotourism generates funds for conservation
1. The profits from many ecotourism businesses can be used to expand conservation efforts.
2. Some Ecotourism businesses realize that having a policy to donate a portion of their profits to environmental conservation efforts actually attracts more consumers for greater profits and environmental aid.
D. According to debate.org, Ecotourism encourages the tourism industry to be "greener"
1. Tourism is going to happen whether we like it or not.
2. Ecotourism helps better manage and direct the tourism industry on a more environmentally friendly course
II. It Benefits Both Cultural Understanding and the Local Population
A. Ecotourism builds cultural awareness and respect.
1. A big part of Ecotourism's mission is to reveal cultures and build respect and understanding.
2. This is good, irrespective of the environmental issues, and helps build a more compassionate, cohesive world
B. According to Seattle Times, Ecotourism economically benefits local people
1. Ecotourism is an industry brought to local environments that supplies many various jobs in tours, lodging, restaurants, and in all other accompanying elements of the tourism industry.
2. This is good, particularly in poor countries where such jobs are very welcome.
III. There are positive social and democratic benefits
A. According to debate.org, Ecotourism is good for the human soul and social health.
1. While much emphasis in this debate is placed on the environmental pros and cons, it is important to consider the benefits to humans and society in general from these kinds of activities.
2. When a human enters a forest or sees a breath-taking landscape, if often changes their perspective on life for the better.
3. This is good for the individual and for those that interact with the individual. Cumulatively, it is good for society.
B. Ecotourism raises awareness of host country socio-environmental politics.
1. It is important that international awareness is raised not only about the need for conservation, but of the specific political issues surrounding conservation in a particular region or country.
2. These issues can vary widely, and are essential to understand if effective international responses are to be crafted.
3. On-the-ground ecotourism is very important to achieving this understanding.
I can accept. I am on the argument against Harm? or for Good?
MShieh2324 forfeited this round.
MShieh2324 forfeited this round.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by kbub 3 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||0||1|
Reasons for voting decision: Ff. Too bad, great opening.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate