texans14
NathanDuclos

Edmund Burke's famous quote about your representative is valid.

texans14

Pro

Edmund Burke, author and political theorist once said, "Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays instead of serving you if he sacrifices it to your opinion." I believe he is correct in saying this.
NathanDuclos

Con

Dear texans14

I accept. THE BOP is on you i do believe. I look forward to your argument.
texans14

Pro

Dear NathanDuclos,
Thank you for respectfully accepting my debate. This is a very controversial quote, and one can certainly see both sides. I agree obviously with the fact that the quote is true. One may argue that this quote is to say that the United States isn't a democracy. Well, that is not accurate. There is a reason that we, the people elect representatives to Congress. To do what is best for us. The average person couldn't make that decision on their own. A full democracy is not a good idea. The people should be represented in the vote, but not actually decide fully. That's what our government is today. We, the people may vote in elections, but we don't always get the outcome the majority of us desire. Look at the 2000 election. Gore won the popular, but the people that know best voted for Bush. Congress is up there in Washington making the calls for a reason.
This system is the best system of democracy there is. The only flaw to a democratic government is that the people are represented too much. Like I said, the average person doesn't always make the right decision. Our system is the best form of government in the world today. Edmund Burke was certainly right about the way our government plays out.
I am anxious to hearing your response in the debate,
texans14
NathanDuclos

Con

Dear texans14
Please feel free for Nathan in future it"s my first name. Thank you for the debate as well. i think this argument comes down to definitions and wishful thinking.
"Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays instead of serving you if he sacrifices it to your opinion."

Before we get to the actual debate, you stated something I find inaccurate, in definition and in fact.

1)First by definition the US is hardly a democracy. Accurately defined, a democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly, not by necessarily popular vote, you can have a popular vote system based on a majority or super majority. You (I"m a Canadian) have a republic, and not even a true republic; with Red Lining, money matters into public debate, a constitution and constitutional law, SCOTA ext . . . ext . . This actually has nothing to do with the argument. US is a socialistic hybrid of a republic. Your founding father were afraid of True democracy and its inability to maintain stability and a set of checks and balances. Either way, civic lessons aside, this has nothing to do with your statement.

2)As to who actually won, GORE or BUSH, is actually still open for debate, While I think Bush the horrible should be in jail, I would not argue that It is a fact he in fact won/lost.

This is a principle of intent, a statement of wishful thinking. It"s what ought to be, one individual opinion with no context, rather then what is since you can point to your own government as an example. You can also exchange "owe to" "your representative owes it to future generations, not the current generation, be his judgement". or any other declaration statement. In addition, this could be taken, if it suits us better then others let take resources via war or deceit.

I still do not see any proof that this statement is accurate, or even moral, or just, its just what someone think should be done. First you would need to establish a moral or ethical code to judge it by, as well. This is like arguing coke vs Pepsie without saying the parameters. Also since, your own admonition this does not happen, its false in reality.
texans14

Pro

Nathan,
First of all, why isn't this quote moral? The people cannot be trusted to make big decisions. Several of my classmates and even senator Michael Bennett agree with me about this. They agree with me for different reasons of course, because my classmates aren't as educated about politics as senator Bennett. Also, civics is absolutely relevant in this debate. Edmund Burke said this when our government was debating between the Articles of Confederation, or our current government. In conclusion, I believe that Burke was very right about the government. Also, I apologize for bringing up the 2000 election. It wasn't totally relevant.
NathanDuclos

Con

Sorry
I'll expand. The quote implies that someone should act in a particular code based on what? Everyone should act towards a common good,Group interest vs personal interest, bodily rights, marxism, populaism. By which are you judging it and can you support that it is right. I agree, that your statement has on its face, however what South vs north, individuals were acting on what they though was the basis of their best interest, and you had the civil war. currently Coal state with democrat are nay saying the Climate Act Obama just enacted, as there interest vs the country is at odds with each other (at least in the short term). Do you judge things based off time as well, crash encomium for a better tomorrow?

I would disagree, with your statement as educated as Senator Bennett. An argument appealing to authority is not needed, if the argument is true in an of itself. Dont sell yourself or your fellows short.

He may be right, but how do you know he is right. Show the math. 2 + 2 = 4 but why, 1 +3 = 4 is also. i would argue that a elected official is responciable is to eveyone, not just those he got elected by. Other wise, why set up relief or charity for others in other countries, which elected individuals may not approve or like or there concern . . His argumetn would also be a case NOT to go to war. . . .
Posted by NathanDuclos 2 years ago
NathanDuclos
no one voted. :(