Vermillion
amongell

Education Reform in America

Vermillion

Pro

Education reform is defined as the name given to the goal of changing the current education system in the hopes of improvement. The goals for different reformations have varied over the years, but generally center around student achievement.

Today, it should be clear that reform is needed- and quickly. Huge gaps divide race and class in our schools, with the average black 12th grader scoring in reading equal to that of the average white 8th grader. A classroom full of seniors couldn't tell you how the voting system worked, despite almost being 18 and able to vote themselves. In fact, approximately 80% of high school students are graduating with a high school diploma butover halfcould not proficiently read or calculate math problems.

Obviously, the American education system has a huge problem. Education reform will change this.

---

Cites:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://blogs.edweek.org...
https://www.foreignaffairs.com...
https://en.wikipedia.org...
amongell

Con

Hello. I do agree with the basis that education does need reformed, however, I do not feel that the educational system as a whole has a huge problem. I believe that there is constant reform going on within the educational community around the country. Teachers and administrators are spending time, both in and out of school hours, attending trainings and workshops on how to better meet their students' needs. Students and their needs are constantly changing and so does their approach for reaching students. Reform has to be measured by something and that something is student achievement. When you are changing educational standards and practices to benefit students, assessing those students is a way to monitor the success of the reforms. I am not arguing standardized testing or not, just that we need some assessment to gather data for whether our changes are working.

Also, education is constantly changing. In the few years I have been an educator I have seen programs, standards, strategies, etc. come and go. It is not uncommon to hear of new teaching strategies and tools numerous times throughout a school year. Looking back throughout educational history you can see the constant amount of reform that has come and gone in public schools. I think that there are small education reforms going on in schools every year. These are reforms of content, classes, teaching techniques, etc. Yes we have issues within our educational system that we are constantly trying to fix. Every year we talk and work on closing the various gaps we have in our own schools and state. Every year we work on plans to help individual students succeed and monitor to make sure they don't fall through the cracks. I feel that educational changes are constantly happening and that yes reform will be beneficial, but in the sense that we need to reform and change as our students change in order to meet their needs as learners. Fortunately many organizations provide resources to help close gaps. For example, the national teacher association provides updated resources and guides for educators (http://www.nea.org...). These are often paired with those provided by districts, states and other agencies. Again, reform and change is happening everyday. Maybe not in the sense of the entire country at the exact same time and way. However, many teachers monitor and often alter their approach, their teaching, their tactics in order to meet the ever changing needs of their students.
Vermillion

Pro

Vermillion forfeited this round.
amongell

Con

amongell forfeited this round.
Vermillion

Pro

Vermillion forfeited this round.
amongell

Con

amongell forfeited this round.
Posted by Robkwoods 1 year ago
Robkwoods
What is your solution to the problem? Do you want private/charter vs public vs homeschooling? I think most would be more willing to take that challenge.
Posted by Vermillion 1 year ago
Vermillion
Thanks for informing me of that, and I appreciate your interest in my debate. However, I think I'll just leave it up here, if only to see if anything will happen. And once again, thank you for commenting on my debate and helping me to become a better debater.
Posted by TruthHurts 1 year ago
TruthHurts
I like the topic here, but it would be nearly impossible to take Con here because you are defending the general idea of reform - i.e. literally any change to the system - rather than a specific plan or proposal. As Con, I would have to defend each and every aspect of the status quo, and I don't think that's possible.