rebecca1029
AbandonedSpring

Education Should Be Free to All

AbandonedSpring

rebecca1029

Pro

The topic for our debate is that education should be free to all. I define this topic as education that is funded not through tuition fees, but through taxation or charitable organizations. I, the affirmative person believe that this statement is true.

For the first round, I will be talking to you about the importance of ensuring that the next generation has a proper and comprehensive education.

My first point is that the next generation will be the ones affecting the world we live in, so we must ensure that they are making decisions and choices that have a knowledgeable basis.

This is because education enriches the minds of the people whom will get employed and make changes to our world. If the generation is widely uneducated, the possibility to stall and even set back our efforts in bettering and helping the world increase drastically. Not only that, but if they make uneducated decisions, it could lead to political, social, and economic conflicts which will then carry on to affect the following generation in negative ways.

Now to my second point which is that their decisions and choices will carry on to the following generation and impact them.

This is because any turmoil and conflicts that arise with uneducated decisions have the possibility to affect the following generation in extremely harmful ways. It could break country alliances and lead to mass wars, lead to genocides because of uncultured decisions, and cause major debt and bankruptcy because the generation was never educated in finances. What one generation does causes a ripple affect. These issues are complicated to solve, and may not be solved in a reasonable amount of time. Thus, one generation's mistakes and conundrums are then passed on to the next generation which could prolong the process of solving them and even worsen it.

So, in conclusion, I believe that education should be free to all because an uneducated generation can and will make unwise decisions leading to negative effects.
AbandonedSpring

Con

Hello, and thanks for started this debate! I will explain my contingencies, then label them alphabetically.

Contingency A. When something becomes free, quality drops. This is because there is no money to be made. If music legally downloaded on iTunes was free, then artists would stop making music, simply because there is no money to be made.

Contingency B. Education above a high school degree isn't something that you are entitled too. While it would be nice, it's not something essential to survival. Student loans were designed with low interest rates to help students pay for college. While we need to work on bringing the price of tuition down, making it free would be detrimental.

Contingency C. There is no such thing as 'free'. The money has to come from somewhere. It may not directly be coming out of person A's pocket, because now it's coming out of ours. While I believe there are times where it is appropriate to use government money to make essential things free or cheap, this is not one of those times. Yes a higher education is important, but it's a privilege, not a right.

I understand that education is an amazing thing, but there is no simple way to make it free. If free education is an option, then everyone will take it. You can live off a high school degree. While it may not be much, people do it. What's next? Should we pay prisoners bail? If the government has to pay to put people through college, the quality of education will drop, and the federal deficit would explode.

Thanks, I now stand open fro cross examination.
rebecca1029

Pro

rebecca1029 forfeited this round.
AbandonedSpring

Con

Vote Con!
rebecca1029

Pro

rebecca1029 forfeited this round.
AbandonedSpring

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Everybody has a right to eat. So all food should be free.
Posted by AbandonedSpring 2 years ago
AbandonedSpring
Of course government subsidization makes things more expensive. That's no ones fault, the government has to make money, it can't just afford to left people borrow money and then get nothing in return. Subsidization of any kind makes things more expensive. That's known as interest.
Posted by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
'Contingency B. Education above a high school degree isn't something that you are entitled too. While it would be nice, it's not something essential to survival. Student loans were designed with low interest rates to help students pay for college. While we need to work on bringing the price of tuition down, making it free would be detrimental.' Government Subsidising Higher Education ironically makes it more expensive.
Posted by rebecca1029 2 years ago
rebecca1029
To BoggyDag:

I think the way I wrote it may have confused you, and I apologize for that! The definition I wrote does not contradict the statement that free education is funded through taxation or charitable organisations. In fact, that's exactly what I'm saying. I am saying that instead of payment through tuition fees, free education is funded through taxation or charitable organisations.

I hope this has cleared it up. I'd love to have a contender!

P.S. I tried to send you a message on your profile, but I wasn't able to because you are not accepting messages. Just thought I should let you know! :)
Posted by BoggyDag 2 years ago
BoggyDag
I do not understand your definition.
If the education you want to talk about is already funded through taxation or charitable organisations, why is it then not free?
Any eucation that is free is not funded through tuition fees, so what exactly are you defining there?

Willing to take this on if you would kindly explain.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
rebecca1029AbandonedSpringTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
rebecca1029AbandonedSpringTied
Vote Placed by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
rebecca1029AbandonedSpringTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited , No sources were used , I don't think Pro and Con had outstanding arguments.