illwill9619
stevenac4

Education develops a person.

illwill9619

Con

It is impossible to think the purpose of education is the development of a person. Here is why, if we look at Paolo Freire"s "Pedagogy of the Oppressed " we notice he mentions the " banking" concept of education. He goes on to say this " Education thus becomes an act of depositing, in which the students are the depositories and the teacher is the depositor. Instead of communicating, the teacher issues communiqu"s and makes the deposits which the students patiently receive, memorize and repeat." Notice there is no mentioning of critical analysis. The ability to analyze has been taken away be a rhetoric pedagogy of teaching thus making the educational method a form of oppression stemming from the title of Freire"s passage. A teacher tells a student " Christopher Columbus discovered America when he sailed the ocean blue in 1492." The student in turn will memorize, recite this deposit given by the teacher (depositor). However, does the student critically analyze why or how did Columbus discover America? Can we even say that he did? I posit if we critically analyze this, we will find, there were indigenous natives already in America which leads to this conclusion, Columbus did not discover America since it had been occupied prior to his voyage. But, we still have children even adults reciting the deposit of information and not actually looking for themselves and truly understanding. Our minds have been confined to the knowledge forced upon us by filters of half truths and this does not develop a person only confines them.
stevenac4

Pro

ONE Well I would have to disagree with you and say the purpose of education is the development of a person. Well I notice you start off with Freires banking concept of education and quote him onward. But, just because there is no critical analysis the person is still absorbing information creating an education for themselves, right? Going back to what you said "Christopher Columbus discovered America when he sailed the ocean blue in 1492." I do agree with you that this is a very vague topic and there is more to be discovered about the real origin of America. But, having known just this little much of Columbus discovering America in 1492 is enough to educate and create a development of a person. No matter how much knowledge you have you are still developing the person to be something bigger and better, going back to Columbus just because that is a catchy easy to remember phrase kids do learn it quicker doesn"t mean they are not educated, yes of course there is always more to something, but having the basic idea down is always a positive. Memorization is a form of education as well. I know in fact that for English class there were always words we had to remember for a vocabulary test. Now remembering them is as far as we can go there is no analyzing them because they all have simple meanings. Just because I memorized them does this make me not educated because I did not further look into the vocabulary word? In Freire`s Pedagogy of the Oppressed he quotes "Education must begin with the solution of the teacher-student contradiction, by reconciling the poles of the contradiction so that both are simultaneously teachers and students." Which in another words in order to begin the education process the student and teacher must create a bond that develops the person.
illwill9619

Con

So, you quote me on the Christopher Columbus statement and call it a "vague" topic. Then further say that by Knowing this catchy phrase one can say they are knowledgeable of the subject developing them as a person. This is I find contradicting. Here is why, if so it is a vague phrase and the phrase holds a higher meaning than the words then what exactly do we know aside from the phrase. If you consider reciting a vague phrase knowledge then you are a victim of the banking system of education. You have become the bank in which information has been filtered and deposited, filed and stored away. This does not develop a person in fact it oppresses them. Take a read of this claim by Freire " The truth is, however, that the oppressed are not "marginals", are not men living "outside" society. They have always been "inside"- inside the structure which made them "beings for others."" What is meant by this claim is simply this, the oppressed is not given the opportunity to develop or enhance as beings rather, they are confined by the threshold of their oppressor and used as pawns in society, If you can remember phrases and repeat what is told to you proves good memory which is not education and does not develop anyone. Its thinking for ourselves recognizing words we read and using background information to fully understand and dissect what we are taught. This is what develops a person.
stevenac4

Pro

illwill9619

Con

illwill9619 forfeited this round.
stevenac4

Pro

stevenac4 forfeited this round.