Education in the United States.

Resolved:All education in the United States should be privatized.

My argument will be arguing that public education in the United States should remain public. Both sides will hold BoP.

First Round will be for acceptance. Any questions shall be asked in the comment section.

I accept and thank my opponent for instigating the round, as no definitions have been stating I'll assume those are saved for the next round.

As the con in the argument "Resolved:All education in the United States should be privatized." I shall be arguing that all schools should not be privatized, plain and simple. As my opponent is the Pro, he is not negating the resolution and is rather affirming it, and the BoP also lies on him to show why this should happen.

Sorry for the jerk move, but I meant to post a comment on how your statement was wrong, and instead accidentally accepted. I realized that wasn't what I meant to do right after I hit the button :P However, as I've accepted the debate, I'll do my best regardless!

No, my opponent is correct. I am arguing that all public education in the United States SHOULD be privatized, and taken out of the public sector. I thought all definitions would be pretty straightforward, but, for my opponents benefit, here they are, as needed:

Education: the action or process of educating or of being educated; also : a stage of such a process

Privatize: to make private; especially : to change (as a business or industry) from public to private control or ownership

United States of America: country North America bordering on Atlantic, Pacific, & Arctic oceans; a federal republic ∗

Resolved: All education in the United States should be privatized.

Opening statement: Public education in the united states is, quite frankly, a joke. Students in schools outside of the governments reach do far better, consistently. Other countries are trashing us in every single subject area, and we've lost a grip on the certainty that used to lie ahead for individuals passing through our educational system.

And so, for the following reasons, the public education system should be dissipated and transitioned into the private sector.

Contentions are as follows:

1.) Public schools, as a whole, are failing. Students left and right, evidenced by our drop in rankings in just about every educational field. [1]

2.) Students at private schools nationally show steady increases in test scores every year [2].

3.) There is a direct link between resources, such as family income and education level, and intellect of budding children. Both of these are much more abundant in Private schools. [3]

4.) Private schools are the ultimate combination of the virtues of government and business. The government's oversight function and its responsiveness to the needs of citizens can be retained while taking advantage of private enterprise's ability to be more efficient, reduce costs, and maximize production—in this case, student achievement.

Thus, education in the United States should be privatized, and I encourage you to vote in the Pro.

Although I find that a bit condescending (especially when came to a definition of the US), I was referring to definitions that you felt were needed. As you didn't so much as mention them in the rules or any other area in your opening post, I assumed that if you felt anything needed clarification you would bring it up in the first round. I accept all definitions proposed by the Pro.

As we both hold burden of proof, I will first prove why Schools should not be privatized before rebutting his case.

Con Case:
1.) Private Schools offer rates that not all parents can afford (although I believe this to be common knowledge, I will provide citation(s) at the Pro's request).

2.) If all schools are made privatized, then all parents must pay these rates in order to educate their children

3.) Thus, logically, if parents cannot make these tuition payments, and the free (or nearly free) public education is cut out of the equation, then children in middle to lower class households will go without education.

4.) If children are stripped of their institutionalized education, then educational rates in the US would fall drastically, as students are no longer granted access to a proper education.

5.) This decrease in education will lead to less overall intelligence [1], less skilled workers entering the workforce, and the loss of what many supporters of this resolution are trying to gain: a higher level of education for the US as a whole.

As I have proven why education should not be privatized, I will now move to my opponent's argument.
Pro Case:
1.) Although we still hold the 14th best rank in the world[2], a respectable title, it is true that our public educational system has not produced as high of a gain as we would hope. However, this is not a valid reason to abandon public education as a whole. The reduced education rate of Public School would pale in comparison to the educational rates of those without a set educational system.

2.) My opponent's source merely shows that Private Schools have higher educational levels than public schools, which I will not attempt to refute. What I will state, though, is that when according to my opponent's source "[3]", the private schools themselves are not the actual reason why the students attending them excel. It states that "The NAEP results that show better math and reading scores for students in private schools may not be a result of anything the private schools do.". And so pushing public school kids into private school will not actually fix the problem, but rather transfer the problem from public schools to private schools, and so the educational improvement Pro is trying to achieve will not occur. Because pro's evidence refutes his own contention, this contention is negated.

3.), Actually, what your source said on teh subject in full is "The NAEP results that show better math and reading scores for students in private schools may not be a result of anything the private schools do. It could well be that those children have more highly educated, and wealthier parents, than those in public schools, on average. We know there is a direct correlation between standardized test scores and a parent's income and education level, so reading and math scores don't make the case that those schools are actually better."[3], which is far different from you're implying it says about private schools. My opponent's source does not prove that private schools help increase intellect, simply that wealthier students attend private schools, and it is the wealth these students possess that leads to their higher educational levels, not the private schools. Therefor, you could take these wealthy kids and put them in public schools, and their performance would not change, and so there is no reason to assume that Private schools would increase these skills. Furthermore, putting public school kids in a private school education wouldn't provide them with this higher level of income, and would instead put more of a financial strain on the parents, and so these benefits would not increase in Private schools, negating his entire third contention, if not his entire case.

4.) I have proven throughout my case and my rebuttal of my opponent's case that the student achievement of individual students cannot be proven to rise only because of the institution of the private schools and so the academic rates are irrelevant, and that although the government may save money, a much higher financial strain will then be put on the taxpayer, hurting the economy in the long run. Therefor, the goals my opponent is trying to achieve through the resolution cannot be fulfilled, and so this contention is negated.

In light of these points, I urge the audience to vote Con.

Spock forfeited this round.

Extend arguments, I still welcome arguments in round 4, however.

I apologize. I had an emergency and was not able to get to a computer for sometime. Please give the debate to Con, and if Con wishes to Debate the topic again, feel free to message me so we can start a new.

My deepest apologies. Live long, and prosper.

No problem man, I can relate. Thanks for ducking out peacefully rather than cowering and letting the time run out on the last round, it means a lot :)
Posted by alexsam 6 months ago
Government subsidized guideline in the amassed states is, no ifs, ands or buts, a joke. Understudies in schools outside of the organizations reach enhance, dependably. countries are annihilating us in every single branch of information, and we've lost a grip on the conviction that used to lie ahead for individuals experiencing our educational structure.
Vote Placed by FlameofPrometheus 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I am voting for Con since the opposition wills it