Education is not what it used to be.

With the rigorous standards imposed by federal and state lawmakers concerning education a casual observer might believe that education is held in high regulars. One might look at the numerous tests a student must take in order to receive their diploma and think that they will exit high school ready to face the problems and challenges of the real world. This same observe would surly be please by the even more rigorous standards and tests imposed on collage students with there abundant work loads, dense text books, and knowledgeable professors and all. Why education seams glorious in America these days from this perspective, but is it? I mean what do all these tests and standards mean? Is a person who attains a diploma truly smart or were they able to just slip on by. Its obvious that not everyone who graduates deserves to but to what degree is education actually relevant to one selected vocation?
Diplomas have suffered inflation just like the U.S. dollar and like the dollars inflation no one want to admit it. Jobs that once required an associates degree now require a bachelor's, one that required a bachelor's degree now require a masters and so on. Educational digress are susceptible to the same supply and demand law as any other valuable commodities, specifically the more people obtain degrees the less valuable they become. Since the 1970's the amount of people attending community collages and four-year collages has increased significantly. This increase in the amount of people obtaining diplomas has led to the increase of standards imposed by employers.
And what's with the curriculum? The amount of remediation is discussing, obviously something is not working if students must be subjected to the same material and go the same courses over and over again. Why must a student study the same math problems over and over again in high school and collage? Why would they study them in collage if they have no particular relevance to their future vocation? I submit that irrelevant classes only hinder and hurt a student's academic performance by forcing them to split their time between classes more pertinent to their future vocation and classes that are simply irrelevant. Perhaps if course curriculum were more relevant to student's lives and future vocations such levels of remediation would not be necessary.

I would like to thank old man Reverend for making such a great debate.
Definition of education from Merriam Websters dictionary: The action or process of educating or of being educated.
I will just assume from common sense that we are talking about the Sierra Leone education system.
Since the last Civil war ended in 2001 education among the nation has increase considerably, and school enrollment has doubled. So double the people are being educated. Point proven

Definition of Relevance from Merriam Websters dictionary: relation to the matter at hand.

As in what is the relevance of your supposed argument? "I will just assume from common sense that we are talking about the Sierra Leone education system." What gives your senses the illusion that I am talking about the Sierra Leone education system? Perhaps if you read more carefully you would have see this, "Why education seams glorious in America these days from this perspective, but is it? ". One may assume from common sense that the heart of my argument lied with the education system in America and not Sierra Leone, but I digress. Lets move on to the meat and potatoes of your alleged argument. Education, the action or process of educating or of being educated, has increased considerably in Sierra Leone since the end of the last civil was in 2001, school enrollment has doubled. From this we get to your "proven point" that double the people are being educated. Could you please explain how is this "point" relevant to my argument and possibly elaborate on your stance?

Reverend McDonald please stay on topic.
You have not proved that Sierra Leone's education has gotten worse.
Those are your brothers! YOUR BROTHERS!
They are sons of god!
Your selfishness has led you to blindly focus on and analyze the apparent "faults" of American education when millions of illiterate children around the world go without even the security of a home let alone a school system to call their own. Get with it. United States children are lucky to even have a public school system, even if it does have those nasty microwaved school lunches.

It seams as though you are the one who has failed to stay on the topic yet again. The burden of proof does not lie in my ability to prove that Sierra Leone's education has gotten worse rather it lies within your ability to create a counter argument to my initial claim. If you were unable to decipher the claim of my initial argument then perhaps you serve as evidence in its favor.

WhiteWolf forfeited this round.
Posted by evildead151 5 years ago
Why education seams glorious in America these days from this perspective, but is it? I mean what do all these tests and standards mean?
I did say Education in America and did not once mention Sierra Leone. I also never stated that education has gotten worse.
Posted by Thaddeus 5 years ago
The actual resolution(that education has got worse) was definitely clear, though the location wasn't specified. I reckon I'ma gunna hafta give dis one to whitewolf.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
@Kegan, I don't think so. The meaning of the resolution must be taken in the context of the opening argument. "It's not what it used to be" means that the difference is substantial. Pro also doesn't say explicitly whether it is better or worse, but his opening argument also defines what he is claiming.
Posted by Kegan 5 years ago
Thjis debate is completely one sided since the pro side only has to prove that our current educational system is not what it once was. That means even the slightest difference wins him this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
@mongeese, Hey, I'm not in the debate! The reference is "Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses." A summary article is

"After two years in college, 45% of students showed no significant gains in learning; after four years, 36% showed little change.

Students also spent 50% less time studying compared with students a few decades ago, the research shows."

Students spent a total of 16% of their time on attending classes and studying, and 51% on socializing and recreating. The GPA of the surveyed group was 3.2 -- just fine, despite little work.
Posted by evildead151 5 years ago
@m93samman please do. I write this as a frustrated collage student drowning in a sea of oppressive, remedial, and irrelevant bullsh*t and ironically as a class assignment. Im just so fed up with the the lies they impose upon us. I feel as though collage diplomas are almost like church indulgences in early modern europe, just selling false hope.
Posted by mongeese 5 years ago
Roy, perhaps you should define "little." How little is "little"?
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
This is a good example of having an opening case that defines the meaning of the resolution rather well, even though the resolution itself only says that education changed.

A recent study using standard tests of comprehension showed that students are on average learning little in college. They accomplish that by spending little time attending classes or studying.
Posted by annhasle 5 years ago
We should still be able to beat our students. They listened more in those days...
Posted by Cobo 5 years ago
Preach Brother.
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: pro forfeit