karan
silntwaves

Education is perception of skills

Con Tied Pro

karan

Con

I dont think that any type of perception is required for skills because perception is needed for quality and skill is not a quality but its an ability...
silntwaves

Pro

Im just going to get right into this. I am also hopong for a good debate :]

"I dont think that any type of perception is required for skills because>>

~perception is needed for quality~
~skill is not a quality~
~but its an ability...~

Perception is described as this in the dictionary.

Perception
An active information process, which allows us to organise, interpret, and ultimately act upon sensory information coming to us from our outside world. Perception is different from sensation.

http://www.encyclo.co.uk...

Now according to this..in order to have perception you have to be able to organize and interpret information correctly. These are two of the many skills in which you learn in school. Back in the earlier years of school (we'll use 3rd grade as an example) teachers were always telling you to stay organized. Also a skill learned in the classroom is interpretation. I remember from my third grade year we learned main idea. I had to interpret information in the paragraph to figure out what words meant and to hypothisize what would happen next in the story.

This is the definition of a quality:
an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone;
a degree or grade of excellence or worth;
a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something;

http://www.google.com...

so according to your first point (~perception is needed for quality~)
what you are saying to me is this: In order to organise, interpret, and ultimately act upon sensory information coming to us from our outside world you have to have a degree or grade of excellence or worth within yourself. basically your saying that: If you want to organise, interpret, and ultimately act upon sensory information coming to us from our outside world you have to be automatically smart and know what your doing within yourself. that is not correct for some people. so already your telling me that everyone has a degree or grade of excellence or worth within theirselves and knows how to organize and interpret it without the use of school.

There are several people in this world, all types, and you cannot tell me that without school, these people can function perfectly in everday life.
karan

Con

Let me explain my point of view with an example: my mom cooked a nice dinner, served me beautifully, even feed me with her own hands but ultimately I have to chew it, engulf it and digest it.

Same is with education; we are provided with education, it's up to us whether we chew it properly or not, whether we are digesting it or not. Here we need perception. When I saw food, I perceived it to be tasty and ate it. If I see bitter gourd which I dislikes than I cannot eat it. It depends solely on perception. If our sense of right and wrong i.e. perception says that what we learnt is not good so we would not adapt it in life. Thus quality depends on perception; quality begins with perception.
An optimist believes that he is living in best of the worlds… a pessimist fears this to be true! When we transcends from our social prejudices, the false notions that we withhold, when we look beyond the cobwebs of our culture, that have groped us, that have taken hold, everything comes down to our perception.

Perception is how we look at the things or own general outlook. It is our outlook that determines anything reality and value both of which are some of the many meanings of quality.

Quality is relative virtue, based solely on perception. Look at this world from the eyes of pessimist, and you will see a world where everyone is born free but taxed to death. But look this world from the side of optimist, and you will see something so good, pure, beautiful, and valuable and awe inspiring that no language could describe it in words!

Thus quality begins with perception… and as I said before, but skills are not quality they are ability…so perception is not at all related to skills.

Educational innovations certainly do not come about automatically. They have to be invented, planned, initiated and implemented in a way that will make educational practices more adequately geared to the changing objectives of instruction and make them more consistent with the changing standards of instructions.
(Here planning and perception have different meanings.)

Skills are developed by passion, planning…. Not by educational perception. There are many people with skills and with knowledge and with an urge to succeed but somehow the urge is not forceful enough. Rather not passionate enough!
Success and skills comes to people who are passionate about it…

We don't starts learning the spare parts of bicycle before sitting on the seat of bicycle…
We just ride it, practice to balance it, and gradually we develop skills to ride it…
Where has education taken part here?

It is so rightly said that essence of true education lies in drawing very best in you. but does the present system of education lives up to this ideal?
silntwaves

Pro

We are debating: Education is the perception of skills.
Again, I describes perception as this: An active information process, which allows us to organise, interpret, and ultimately act upon sensory information coming to us from our outside world.

You mentioned (as an example) that
"When I saw food, I perceived it to be tasty and ate it. If I see bitter gourd which I dislikes than I cannot eat it. It depends solely on perception."

If you perceive a food to be tasty and eat it, that is your choice. You choose to interpret the food and use it in your everyday life, as you would as education. Even if the food is "bitter gourd" that does not mean you are enable to eat it, it simply means you are not choosing to accept the food (education) that your mother is "serving you beautifully with her own hands."

"but ultimately I have to chew it, engulf it and digest it."
you do not have to chew this *gourd.* you are choosing to. as with education you choose to perceive it. We are all not provided with education. whom are you referring to as this all and what kind of world do you live in? all of us don't have the privilege on education.

so you say we are provided with education and it is up to us weather we chew it or no. but then you say if u see bitter gourd (what do you mean by bitter gourd? is that supposed to be the "bad education" that some people receive?) you cannot eat it? this makes no since to me and does not contribute a cent to education is the perception of skills, I will now go on.

how much something is worth depends on if we can interpret it.
just because we interpret something doesn't mean we know how much its worth. we could throw out our old diary or journal doesn't mean that we know it wont turn into Ann Franks diary. Famous and known. all we are is human. we don't know the paths, and we always don't know what we are talking about.

"Thus quality depends on perception; quality begins with perception"is probably just an opinion, either way I gave you mine in the above paragraph. (transcend-to be superior prejudices-unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason
karan

Con

I think you are changing the topic by emphasizing more on "quality begins with perception"; rather paying attention on "education is perception of skills." I just meant that skills and any type of perception (like: educational perception, etc.) have no connectivity at all. For proving this I clarified the difference between quality, perception and skills…

Again I repeat: perception is required for quality, but skill is not a quality because it is ability.

Any ways, for your clarifications I solve your doubts on "quality begins with perception."

Let me explain this by a short (but true) story:

In the days long past, Ferrari were considered to be the ultimate quality cars. Now, our hero, he was a rich farmer. He went to Ferrari and paid the money and got himself a nice shiny car; he than drove it, did not like the quality and went to Ferrari and told that his car was flop! May be Ferrari hadn't had a good day and he insulted our hero. The hero got angry, got a lot of designers, poured lots of money and gave birth to first Lamborghini; for Lamborghini, Ferraris weren't of good quality and so he came up with something new!

So you saw, it was the perception of hero about Ferraris, and he came up with something more qualitative than Ferraris. Thus his perception led him to discover a new quality! Thus quality begins with perception is not my opinion but a fact or truth!

Well, coming back to our topic: education is perception of skills; education, according to me, cannot perceive skills! And as I said before, education is only a readymade dish; it is up to us what we eat and what we don't.

We have to practice, work hard, plan, and manage the time and passionate about what we learnt in schools. Thus education is the food which is accepted by perception but digested and assimilated by the above factors to generate skills.

Thus smart work, inner strength, planning, team work, readiness towards work, passion, experience, patience, perseverance, etc perceives, generates skills.

Education is thus only the amount of data (raw material) that is put into our mind but to convert this data to information or skills (final product), above factors are necessary.
Thus we can even say that education is perception to those above factors and not the skill. Education perceives the raw material which are essential to get final product i.e. skills.

We could even say that education is, up to certain extent, is becoming a burden. It snatches away the beautiful moment of life: childhood.

"Education is the backbone of nation,
But in the name of education,
They are grinding our backbones,
They are blending our souls,
They are leaking our activities,
They are making us robots!"

I again ask you: it is so rightly said that essence of true education lies in drawing out very best in you; but does the present system of education lives up to this ideal?
silntwaves

Pro

silntwaves forfeited this round.
Posted by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
oh thats awsome! glad to hear that but i think i like debating more for fun..not for competition.
Posted by karan 4 years ago
karan
thanks for compliment... you were perfect but you should put more emphasis of examples or stories which are related to the topic... actually i also had competition yesterday on this topic and this helped me a lot, i got 3rd prize out of 30 teams....thanks...
Posted by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
i think you should provide sources and stay on topic..i really didnt get that example you wrote about your mom and how if she hands you something...yeah :] ur pretty good you bring up stuff i would have never thought of....i actually have to debate in class on tuesday and im so scared..i hope i do well and dont freeze up. yeah but ur a good debater. maybe later on we can do a debate so u (and me.) could work on our skills? :] oh and tell me what i could have done better..this was my 2nd debate so..i think i did WAY better than the first.
Posted by karan 4 years ago
karan
may the better win but i believe my mistake was only improper defining the terms... can u tell me what other mistakes have i done? i want to improve in debating....
Posted by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
yay! thanks for support. ~vote pro~
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
Con should have affirmed a resolution (gone Pro), defined the terms, and made an opening argument. As it was, Pro gets to define the semantics and, as a result, wins the arguments.
Posted by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
sorry for the forfeit. the next time i will accept a challange to a debate it will be christmas. cuz i always have so much to do. :p nice debate tho.
Posted by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
If you want. :]
Posted by karan 4 years ago
karan
dont worry silntwaves you can win in dreams i will win in reality...good luck...
Posted by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
yay! i am so gonna win...good luck :]
Vote Placed by silntwaves 4 years ago
silntwaves
karansilntwavesTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 4 years ago
wonderwoman
karansilntwavesTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
karansilntwavesTied