TomWarner
cipeylsrs

Education system needs reform.

TomWarner

Pro

Let me preface this with the elementary grades are good and should stay as they are now, but Middle school and high school need to be reformed.

The main reason the school system needs to be reformed is because students aren't learning.

Not learning means most of the information that students are supposed to learn isn't being remembered after they aren't learning it any more.

This is a problem because when students apply to college they may have good grades, but they don't know most of the information that they need to know and it leads to unskilled workers according to John H. Bishop's paper on why high school students learn so little.
TomWarner

Pro

To expand my first point I am a high school student and I have already forgot most of what I learned in Math last year, but I remember what I learned in History. The reason I learned and remembered more from history then I did math was because I like history and enjoy learning it rather then with math I think it was pointless and I didn't care if I knew how the graph an equation.

My point is that students aren't learning because they are being taught subjects that aren't an interest to them and that have no real life application. For example if I want to be an author I don't need to know how to graph linear equations or why light bends.

If we force students to take classes they aren't interested in then that will lead to kids dropping out of school and about 50% of kids that drop out of high school are unemployed.
cipeylsrs

Con

cipeylsrs forfeited this round.
TomWarner

Pro

TomWarner forfeited this round.
cipeylsrs

Con

cipeylsrs forfeited this round.
TomWarner

Pro

TomWarner forfeited this round.
cipeylsrs

Con

cipeylsrs forfeited this round.
TomWarner

Pro

TomWarner forfeited this round.
cipeylsrs

Con

cipeylsrs forfeited this round.
Posted by Ozzyhead 3 years ago
Ozzyhead
Your opponent, cipeylsrs's account has been closed. He will not be able to finish this debate.