Kefka
tmhustler

Education's main purpose is life knowledge, not the programming of a mind to work a specific job.

Kefka

Pro

The purpose of school SHOULD be, and IS the bestowal of knowledge so that people may live more fulfilling lives. We learn many rote skills in both primary and secondary school, but ultimately there are specific lessons and mind processes we learn that are most important, as they teach us how to be "decent human beings." (Totally dependent on what that person views as moral)

Earning a job because of a certain path of classes/courses is a bi product of education.

Con may take many different approaches to this, as it's a very open discussion. I made my opening argument short so that we could make this fun and full of possibilities. Good luck to whomever accepts the challenge.
tmhustler

Con

The main purpose for education is to gain knowledge so as to be able to get a better job. The cost of a four year college will cost any were from 3,000 to 33,000 per semester. There are very few people who could afford this kind of money for fun, or to be better human beings. People pick a major so as to tailor there education for there future job, not to be better people. Now I pose the question to you and the voters. If you could not get a better job by going to college would you pay to go?

http://www.collegeboards.com...
Kefka

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for a...thought provoking argument.

But, I would like Con to clarify WHY he thinks this, not just an argument based purely linear logic that diminishes the depth this argument could go in.

First off, I don't think education should have to be paid for....ever. But, that's another topic.

Con -"People pick a major so as to tailor there education for there future job, not to be better people"

Yes, in order to be seen as "productive" in this society you must have a "job" that you routinely carry out daily/weekly etc. So it is a product of education that enables you to carry out tasks, but, in my opinion, it isn't the most important value of learning. I could spend 8 hours a day diagnosing patients based on my studies telling me "Symptom A signifies Ailment X", and "Ailment X requires Treatment B" so that I'm not a lazy bum sitting around the house all day getting money people don't think I deserve; it's just that I believe the mental/logical growth we learn during our time of studying is more beneficial when it comes to persevering through our daily struggles that actually enable us to GET through the day, so that we may do these "jobs" society requires of us.

And by "education", I meant not only college but high school. Maybe this will instigate some more in depth arguments?
tmhustler

Con

tmhustler forfeited this round.
Kefka

Pro

Kefka forfeited this round.
tmhustler

Con

I hope this response will suffice.
as for my opponents request the reason I believe this is because first for the reason of debate and second because I and most college students go to college for the purpose of making more money after graduation. But this has little to do wit this debate. Pro goes on to say that education referees to high school as well as college, and it should be free, what he does not see is that goes beyond what you pay and also refers to opportunity costs.

the added cost of using resources (as for production or speculative investment) that is the difference between the actual value resulting from such use and that of an alternative (as another use of the same resources or an investment of equal risk but greater return.
http://www.merriam-webster.com......

this shows that regardless of what you pay there are still cost to education. Back to the resolution educations main purpose is to gain a better job than you could gain without it. The result of this could be mental and logical growth but this is not its main purpose.
Posted by Kefka 8 years ago
Kefka
I'm sorry I didn't mean to forfeit, I just had some other things going on. I wish this debate could have gone farther, but the depth was sort of lost; I'm sure we can re-do it or I'll open it again for someone else to take up.
Posted by tmhustler 8 years ago
tmhustler
I apologize for my forfeit but I have been preparing for mid terms. I hope this response will suffice.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
If I'm interpreting your position correctly, it's basically like the vocational-essentialist education model vs. a very mosiac-y form of progressivism. :) You've got existentialism and like social reconstructivism wrapped up in there, as well. I look forward to reading this debate when it's all said and done.
Posted by Kefka 8 years ago
Kefka
Well, from observation, I've seen that the common perception is that school is instituted only so we can learn specific skills/thinking processes in order to attain a job. Learn calculus and kinematics so that you may be an engineer. Learn rhetoric so that you can be a lawyer. Learn biology so that you may be a doctor. And I believe that school is in existence (or rather my opinion on why) to allow everyone to be immersed into a situation of academics and social interaction. The latter so that we may meet and understand those whom we will spend our lives around, and the former so that we can attempt to better understand the world around us, and our purpose in it.

If I'm unclear or too fantastical let me know, and I'll try to make more sense. I can be....out there sometimes haha.
Posted by tmhustler 8 years ago
tmhustler
could you clarify your position in this debate for me.
Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
You've not a clue how much I want to accept this :) If I weren't afraid of forfeiting a round in the process, I'd have already hit the button.
Posted by Kefka 8 years ago
Kefka
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN PUCK! haha.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
The voting period will last indefinitely.
Posted by dogparktom 8 years ago
dogparktom
I was about to accept THE CHALLENGE WHEN I NOTICED THAT THE VOTING PERIOD WAS INDEFINITE (WHICH MEANS FOREVER). I PREFER A LIMITED VOTING PERIOD WHICH ASSURES FINALITY (PHILOSOPHICALLY, A SIGNIFICANT CONCEPT). IF YOU CAN CHANGE THIS ASPECT TO A WEEK OR SO, I'D LIKE TO DEBATE THIS INTERESTING PROPOSITION. PLEASE ADVISE.
Posted by Puck 8 years ago
Puck
Job definiton: the execution or performance of a task

A task: critical thinking. :P
Vote Placed by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
KefkatmhustlerTied
Vote Placed by alto2osu 7 years ago
alto2osu
KefkatmhustlerTied
Vote Placed by Kefka 8 years ago
Kefka
KefkatmhustlerTied