2dobetter
94MX5

Edward Snowden is a traitor.

2dobetter

Pro

Someone that leaks secret government information to the public should not be hailed a hero, but rather a traitor. Files that were to be seen only by our government are now in the hands of our enemies. A person that divulges security secrets to the world is not someone that has given society "a say in how they are governed", they have rather jeopardized our security by exposing the safety measures that have been put in place to stop possible threats to our safety before they become an issue.
94MX5

Con

Though many may believe that Edward Snowden is a traitor to the US there is a general misconception on the information he released. He did not leak "safety measures" as you claim, but rather that our Government had been acting without a court warrant to eavesdrop on, gathering information on, and track the communications of nearly all American's phone, email, and social media use. In short, Snowden has been a warrior for the transparency of our Government and an advocate for our privacy rights.
2dobetter

Pro

When those same "unwarranted actions" are taken and are used to find terrorists and possible enemies they are seen as necessary and essential to our safety. The public has known for a very long time that the government has been eavesdropping and gathering information on them; what we (and the world) did not know (or need to know) was that other countries, mainly enemies of the state were being spied on as well. Privacy is essential for those looking to hide or cover something up.
94MX5

Con

94MX5 forfeited this round.
2dobetter

Pro

If Snowden believes that what he did was necessary and appropriate he should not have sought asylum in another country; instead, he should have stood by his actions and faced the consequences. When someone signs up to protect their countries' classified information they should take into account that while some of the procedures for safety that they will be dealing with may be controversial, it still is necessary to remain confidential.
94MX5

Con

94MX5 forfeited this round.
2dobetter

Pro

2dobetter forfeited this round.
94MX5

Con

94MX5 forfeited this round.
2dobetter

Pro

2dobetter forfeited this round.
94MX5

Con

94MX5 forfeited this round.
Posted by Elshara 3 years ago
Elshara
Damn it, Snowden didn't set out to be everyone's hero, he's just trying to let everyone know something aint right. I wanna say he's no traitor, he's a citizens informant and I respect him for that.
Posted by 94MX5 3 years ago
94MX5
I think many people already knew the Government was doing something to this extent. But before Snowden at least the Government could clam plausible deniability. I think he was one of the few people to come forward with tangible evidence and an absolute conclusion on Privacy Rights (or as I like to call them "privileges") infractions made by our Government against the very people it is supposed to be serving and protecting. And though it could be argued that they ARE in fact protecting us from physical attacks, I use the word "protection" as an all encompassing concept, which includes the protection or our physical, mental, and social rights to privacy.
Posted by theta_pinch 3 years ago
theta_pinch
as
Posted by theta_pinch 3 years ago
theta_pinch
I already knew the government was doing this; I don't get why it came a such a big surprise.
Posted by 94MX5 3 years ago
94MX5
For the record, I DO NOT agree with what Edward Snowden did. And to be honest, I found it difficult to find non-biased information on him that went either way. And personally, I really hope the NSA, FBI, and CIA can read this and see I am not a sympathizer or terrorist and do not need my front door kicked in, to violently arrested, and to be sent to Guantanamo Bay...and tortured. Just in case the Government IS reading this.