Pau1iD
Duncan

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Stormcloak Rebellion (Con) VS Imperial Legion (Pro)

Pau1iD

Con

This is an old topic considering that the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has been out for a while but it is still a fun argument to debate between two people. I will represent the Stormcloak Rebellion (Con). All I ask is no swearing, no mud slinging, show some sources if you can find any, and just have fun with this. This is a fun topic and that's the way it should be.

The Stormcload Rebellion is just, for Ulfric Stormcloak is only doing what he believes is right for Skyrim and acting on behalf of the majority of what the Nords of Skyrim are thinking. Skyrim deserves to be free and all folks of Tameriel have the right to worship any God, Goddess, or Daedra they deserve. I give the time over to my opponent after my brief opening. Good luck to you.
Duncan

Pro

I will accept the role of Imperial Defender with honor and integrity as requested by my opponent. You see, my fur clad foe, it is true that Ulfric may be doing what he feels is right, but the road to Oblivion is paved with good intentions. Ulfric has forgotten that while under Imperial "oppression", he oppressed and attacked the native Forsworn, and mistreats any non-nords who dwell in his city. I have fought both paths, and I have come to the arcane revelation that Jarl Ulfric has been speaking through his dwarven convector. He makes speeches on so many occasions it almost seems rehearsed, and most of his side of the war is his soldiers attempting to justify the atrocities they have committed during the battle for Whiterun. In fact, the imperial end of the war ends with General Tulius deciding to break free from Thalmor control. My final reasoning for this round is from Lokir the horse thief from Rorikstead. He testifies that the Empire was lenient until Ulfic's uprising, which means that Talos worshippers only began suffering when the rebellion began. This counterproductive action has only led to suffering and death in Skyrim, and also in the event of his victory, leads to the entire Thalmor army marching on Skyrim, now dependent on its Dragonborn to defend.

On the other side of the field, the Empire may seem to be malevolent at first, as you are given a poor impression of them upon arrival. However, without Ulfric's intervention, they did not require investigations upon Talos supporters, and many leading figures are true nords in behavior, including the High Queen herself and Tulius' second in command. With this reasoning, I find the Empire to be the preferable side in the uncivil war that a self obsessed Jarl with a power fantasy and an excuse.

I will now hide my amulet of Talos and promptly ask the instigator to return with his response.
Pau1iD

Con

As my opponent has pointed out at the beginning of his last argument, Jarl Ulfric is racist and he does mistreat the other races of his city. Jarl Ulfric is a just man, however, because he will give a chance for any outsider or non-nord race to prove their honor and gain his trust, as he does with the Dragonborn. This also means not all holds will mistreat races because not every noble nord is racist and agrees with Skyrim's racism.

The Helgen incident is an example of how the Empire's system is failing. Yes, it was the execution of Jarl Ulfric and anyone Stormcloak was to executed for their "treason." However, Jarl Ulfric was suppose to go the Cyrodiil to probably be trailed but General Tulius decided to take matters to his own hands and see to it that Jarl Ulfric was executed personally. Actually, he probably disobeyed the Empire because the Thalmor told him to do so, which tells us that General Tulius probably can't do anything without the Thalmor's consent. Another proof of this example is the fact when the Dragonborn is trying to make a temporary peace treaty between the Empire and the Stormcloaks, General Tulius showed up with a representative of the Thalmor and the Altmer wasn't even suppose to be part of the meeting.

I would also like to point out the fact that the Empire is weakening anyways. Tamerial was united during the Oblivion crisis until the Thalmor saw the chance and seize power of the Empire, basically usurping it. Also, The Black Marsh and Eslwyr successfully seceded from the Empire and the Empire failed to keep them part of them. Then the Argonians of the Black Marsh attacked Morrowind and the Empire was unable to help protect their province, which forced many Dunmer to become refugees, even among Skyrim, and are forced to live in slums. The fact that they are even fighting the Rebellion could be a desperation to keep control or is the will of Thalmor because the nords want to bring Talos worshipping back.

I thank you and my opponent for the time and I am anxious to see his response.
Duncan

Pro

Duncan forfeited this round.
Pau1iD

Con

My opponent may have forfeit the this but I praise him for putting up a fight and debating against me.
Duncan

Pro

I apologize for my lack of response, as I was at a convention for the weekend. Regardeless, I will continue with my closing. The real question behind each side is where will the path of that faction lead. As the instigator mentioned, the Argonians have both seceded and attacked without the Empire intervening, due to the Great War, but what is to say that the Argonians will not attack other locations too? The Empire could at least bring unity after it defeats the Thalmor (which it can with the Dragonborn) and prevent this occurring again. The Stormcloaks will still have to deal with the Thalmor, only with a smaller army, as well as the threat of the Forsworn's return and the still existant dragon problem. Even with Dragonborn's help, war will continue under such a self absorbed leader such as Ulfric, rather than the Emperor who only surrendered to the Thalmor because he knew victory would come at a cost.

I thank you for your participation and patience in this debate, and may Talos favor the best debater.
Posted by HonestDiscussioner 3 years ago
HonestDiscussioner
Looks like someone else already accepted. I'd like to debate you on this though, so when you are done, if you could challenge me directly I'd appreciate it.
HonestDiscussioner
Dunno. I'll find out tomorrow.
Posted by Pau1iD 3 years ago
Pau1iD
I would be grateful. I'm still new to the website so i'm still unclear on a few things. Do you want me to start a new debate when I challenge you or is there a way I can add you to this one?
HonestDiscussioner
If you are willing to wait until my current debate is over (probably by the end of the weekend) I'll be glad to take this up. If you agree, challenge me directly. Though since the first round is acceptance, can you up the rounds to 4?