NKJVPrewrather
Achilees11

Elective abortion.

Achilees11 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

NKJVPrewrather

Con

Elective abortion is any abortion done not for medical necessity.
Achilees11

Pro

I think elective abortion is a right to women (I am a man), as women have the right to their own bodies. If they want to end a pregnancy for ANY reason, they should have the option to do so. Whether you believe it is moral or not, it should be legal and available for all pregnant women. It's just like gay marriage, a lot of people don't like it, but marriage equality should be legal as love is a fundamental right for all people. Getting back to abortion, women should have the option to abort their child. Period. If they have an unplanned pregnancy, it makes sense to be able to abort the baby so you don't have to go through the pregnancy at all.

So now I'll address the ethics aspect of abortion. Yes, it can be considered murder, but at the same time, it is not a developed human being and therefore does not share the same rights as one. You can even say that the yet-to-be-born baby is not alive, as it would not be able to live without being in its mother's womb, and an abortion will not be performed if the baby is past a certain stage of development. With this fact, it is obvious that abortion doctors and clinics will not perform one on a formed baby, and the baby is not fully alive until birth, and does not have the full rights of a human being extended to it until birth as well.

I am interested to see how you respond to my women's rights thoughts.
NKJVPrewrather

Con

My main arguments are as follows: While I make exceptions for legitimate medical situations or if the mother was raped, and lives in one of those 31 states that allows rapists to sue for custody, abortion is cruel and unusual punishment for the baby. Babies are being torn to pieces, stabbed in the heart with a poison needle, or suffocated in the name of choice. Contraception or a consenting woman having her tubes removed is much better, I had my tubes removed for contraceptive reasons, so that is a better choice. Choice before conception, life after.