SpentBrass
TDE1991

Electoral College; Is It A True Democracy?

SpentBrass

Con

I wish my opponent the best of luck and I hope this debate will be fruitful.

The Electoral College is not, against popular belief, just a name. The way it works is that citizens of a state will vote for one of two candidates. A group of between 20 to 100 (I don't know how many exactly) people ACTUALLY vote for the President. In 52% of states, 26 states, the electors must vote for who the people choose, but in the other 24 (Minnesota, Louisiana, Illinois, etc.), the electors can vote for whoever.

This is NOT something that just comes with democracy, but only two countries have this system, the US and France.
TDE1991

Pro

Good luck to you!

I would like to start off by saying the Electoral College is in the Constitution and was created by the founding fathers. This was because the founding fathers didn't trust direct democracy on the national level. In fact, up until the 17th Amendment, Senators were chosen by the state legislatures. Also, to correct my opponents information, all but 2 states require the electors to vote with the majority of the popular vote save Maine and Nebraska. That could however change at the discretion of the states since the Constitution doesn't outline all the details of the Electoral College.

The Electoral College was designed as a way to ensure the President always had the requirements and qualifications to hold that office. The people would vote, but if they chose someone that didn't quite fit the bill, the Electoral College could correct that and put the right candidate in the spot. This still holds true however state laws have made the Electoral College more of an honorary thing.

The United States has never been a true democracy, we are a republic. We vote on the representatives to make the laws, we don't vote on the laws. Now at the State and Local level we have more power but the federal level is a pure republic. By keeping the Electoral College the way it is set up now, we respect the founding fathers system and provide a way for Americans to have mostly the ability to choose the President.
SpentBrass

Con

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
TDE1991

Pro

I will pass this round since I have nothing to defend or state differently than in round 1.
SpentBrass

Con

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
TDE1991

Pro

TDE1991 forfeited this round.
Posted by SpentBrass 11 months ago
SpentBrass
It has been fact-checked that 24, no more, no less, have electors that can vote for whoever they want. Also, with the whole "correcting the voters" thing is exactly what I am saying.
Posted by TheOregonian 11 months ago
TheOregonian
538 Electors. 1 for every Congressman.
Posted by Shrekoning 11 months ago
Shrekoning
It is pretty much an un-needed middle-man. Why do we have a vote for president if the electoral college is just going to vote also? I think I know my own interests better than some politician.