Electric Vehicles are better than Gas Vehicles.

Started: 12/13/2015 Category: Cars

I believe Electric Vehicles are better than Gas Vehicles in a number of categories. I would like to hear good arguments for the other side because all I get from most people is that they love the roar of the engine. Thank you for having a debate with me.
Some categories I have thought of.
-Strength (Towing capacity)
-Cool factor (Optional because it is opinion based.)
-Range and Reliability
-How well it works in winter
I believe electric vehicles are the same if not better in each of the above areas.

For most of my arguments I will use The Model S/X/1 from Tesla Motors as my electric vehicle of choice.

Please cite your sources, no made up facts, no "because I said so" "because it just is" etc. And finally this is meant to be enjoyable so no insults.

I have used round one to set up this debate, whoever accepts can use round one to introduce yourself and your points OR jump right in.Thank you again! May the best debater win.

Yes, I will accept this challenge and look forward to a great debate!
Just as an outline, I believe that gas cars are better today and the immediate future, just not forever.
Electric vehicles will not include hybrids.

First Argument :Efficiency
EV"s win on the efficiency front and they are improving. As stated by Forbes Magazine "EVs tend to win hand down in this category, primarily because the large natural gas-burning turbines at power plants remain far more efficient than the small ones squeezed into cars." Not to mention how much money you will save by not having to fill up at the gas station. "Assuming 15,000 miles driven per year, Plug-In America came up with an an annual fuel cost of $2,135. However, with an estimated average electricity rate of 12 cents per kWh, it pegged the annual electric car energy cost at just $540, meaning drivers could save $1,595 per year"

Second Argument: Strength.
"Gas vehicles are heavy duty, electric"s are not." Again electric can compare to gas. I know shocking right? Even I thought "Oh darn gas has me beat here," I was happily proven wrong with some research. For this argument I present an ally in the battle for Electric Vehicles, Mr. Elon Musk.
(Why He Is Amazing, please skip if this doesn"t interest you.) This guy is up there, like quoted by some as "Evolutionary," "The Next Henry Ford," and "As Intelligent as Isaac Newton." To back that up he is the Co-founder of Paypal, sold his part of the share (for billions) used his money to start and become the CEO of Space X, Solar City and Tesla Motors. Space X is much less expensive at making rockets and better at it than NASA and is going to have people living on mars in 20 years for only $500,000 a ticket! (Source Solar City is saving people millions. Tesla is revolutionizing the auto industry. AND he started a project that is going to build a super fast train rail that can travel USA states in an hour "Hyperloop" (No sources, Hyperloop based on If I had that many qualifications I wouldn"t be typing this. And hey Bill Nye the science guy supports this guy so that"s cool.

Back to my post, this lovely man and his team from Tesla came out with the Model X. The Model X has a towing capacity of 3,500lbs and can even go up to 5,000lbs with specialty tires! As stated from

An article titled "How much truck do you really need?" Estimates the most you"ll need for an average citizen is a towing capacity of about 1,685 lbs. The average towing capacity for most vehicles is about 2000 lbs.
So while it doesn"t beat out gas vehicles an electric is all you need realistically to tow.

Third Argument: The Cool Factor
Cannot attach photos but Tesla has come out with luxury sport car electric vehicles.

The Model S boasts
Highest Safety Rating In US over any other car
Autopilot: Automatic steering, speed, lane changing and parkingAll wheel drive dual motor
(No sound)
Zero to 100 kp/h in 3 seconds435 kilometer range before charge.Top Safety Pick

Fourth Argument: Price
At a pricy $50,000 the Model S is not cheap enough for you and me but Tesla predicts they will have another cheaper model produced within the next year at around $30,000, the extra incentive? The government federal tax credit (around $5,000 for the model X) $30,000-$5,000=$25,000 More than affordable. Still don"t believe? Refer to Argument One to see how much money you will save on gas.
(Sources: Tesla Motors, Google search) for all arguments.

Fifth Argument: Range and Reliability (The dreaded winter)
"Your electric will be stranded and I"ll have to tow you out with a gas vehicle." An electric can tow me just fine. As for the range the Model S can go 435km! That is enough to take you from Ottawa to Toronto without a stop! (google maps). You will never have to stop at a gas station, why? You can charge your car at home! 30 minutes equals 80% charge. Too long of a charge time? Ask yourself, do you go farther than the distance from Ottawa to Toronto every day?
Now to tackle the biggest problem. Winter. I dread winter, but the electric car doesn"t, it can still go 300km. 435km (Model S) -76km (given by = about 300km, still plenty enough for the daily commute. Electric cars also do start in winter by the way.

Sixth and Final Argument: Pollution
Sorry this isn"t really an argument because electric vehicles win hands down. It"s important to note that electricity made by nonrenewable sources isn"t good for the environment, only electricity made by renewable sources produces no carbon emissions. Renewable sources include geothermal, hydro, wind, solar etc. Luckily these renewable sources are on the rise and shortly electric vehicles won"t be tied to C02 emissions at all, unlike gas vehicles that burn the fuel and cost CO2 when the fuel is made.
The rise of the pollution contributes to global warming, which fuels natural disasters, which have been predicted to lead to a mass extinction if something is not done about it. So electric cars help save humanity, just saying.

Don"t take this from just me, read this!
"We're running the most dangerous experiment in history right now, which is to see how much carbon dioxide the atmosphere... can handle before there is an environmental catastrophe."
Elon Musk
Which in turns points to where we would lower emissions, the answer is electric vehicles.
"When Henry Ford made cheap, reliable cars people said, 'Nah, what's wrong with a horse?' That was a huge bet he made, and it worked."
Elon Musk
"The time is right for electric cars - in fact the time is critical."
Carlos Ghosn
Obama the US president wants to put over 1 million electric cars on the road by the end of this year. (google search)
As you can see most of the quotes are from Elon Musk, but that man is a genius. I"m sure you could find more support by just looking up arguments like I did.

Closing notes.
The book the "Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation" predicts that gas cars will be obsolete by 2030. I personally disagree; I think it may be around 2040-2050. But I"m no expert and they are. Now let"s see what that means for gas cars.
Obsolete definition (google): adjective 1.= no longer produced or used; out of date.
Wow. No longer produced or used. With Tesla changing the automotive industry other companies will simply have to go electric, your Ford, Chevy, Dodge and the like are already converting and coming out with electric vehicles and hybrids, it is only a matter of time. To thank? Tesla Motors and Elon Musk. Not only are electric vehicles better than gas vehicles they will make gas vehicles obsolete.

1. Efficiency
I have done extensive research on EVs' efficiency(in terms of gas mileage). I admit, they far surpass gas vehicles in this sector. For example, the Nissan Leaf has 144 MPGe (combined City/Hwy). Wile any average compact ranges from 30-45mpg.
2.Cool Factor
I recognize that the Tesla model may seem pretty sweet, but most that do are expensive. The electric cars that most people can afford tend to be considered ugly or even hideous, like:
Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius, Chevy Volt, Smart Car, etc.
The "electric" label for most cars is an excuse for looking abnormal, ugly, and most often futuristic in a pitiful way.
3. Price
The price, when comparing EV's and gas is not simple. Here are some comparisons (according to Daily Finance):
Ford Focus ST Ford Focus Electric
Sale price$24,495-$39,995
Battery replacementN/A-$13,500
Major engine repair
(1/5 original sale price)$4,899-N/A
8-year fuel costs
(15,000 miles/year)$16,222-$5,067
Total costs$45,616-$58,562

We can see here that 2 cars, with the same basic capabilities, the extreme difference in cost.
Mercedes S ClassTesla- Model S
Sale price$92,350-$87,400
Battery replacementN/A-$12,000
Major engine repair
(1/5 original sale price) $18,470-N/A
8-year fuel costs
(15,000 miles/year)$16,846-$5,262
Total costs$127,666-$104,662
We can also see here that 2 cars, with the same basic capabilities, the extreme difference in cost.
(Source: Mercedes Benz, Tesla Motors, U.S. News.)
The benefit of electric cars is that, as shown in these examples, fuel costs are cheaper. However, the price of gas changes dramatically. In many regions of the US, the average price of regular gas is just $2.11 per gal.(
The average price of an EV, with an equal amount of energy, ranges from $2.40-2.70. But gas prices are always changing.

Batteries for EV's are also expensive, ranging from $3,500- 23,000.

This segment has a clear winner: gas cars.

According to, the number of gas stations in the US is 168,000. According to Climate Home, the number of electric stations was 9,578. Fueling stations for gas cars are far more accessible than for EV's. In addition, the fueling time for electric cars is grossly larger. The average time for fueling a gas car to max capacity is less than ten minutes (estimated). In fact, in most cars an 80% charge does not take 30 mins. Rather, according to HowStuffWorks-Auto, a full charge can range form anywhere between 3-8 hours. Tesla though has been revolutionary with quick charge, even a 40 mile range would still take 20 min.
It may seem obvious that electric cars are more beneficial to the environment than gas cars. However, many do not consider where the electricity comes from. According to Time Magazine,"The key is where the source of the electricity all-electric cars. If it comes from coal, the electric cars produce 3.6 times more soot and smog deaths than those powered by gas, because of the pollution made in generating the electricity, according to the study that is published Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS). They also are greater producers of heat-trapping carbon dioxide that worsens global warming,"

Another study finds that "all-electric" vehicles cause 86 percent more deaths from air pollution than do cars powered by regular gasoline. Coal produces 39 percent of the country's electricity, according to the Department of Energy.

Thus, electric cars commonly spread more pollution due to the source of their energy. Future advancements in technology must be made in order to make it a greener solution then gas.
I have left out the strength and reliability sections because those widely range on the types of cars and more extensive research by the manufacturers must be done.Also, all my sources are neutral, not from any "green" or "anti-EV" website.

Electric Vehicles Vs Gas Vehicles

In summary these are our arguments to this point. Brackets indicate which side is stronger in each section.

-More Efficient (Electric)
-Strength (Tied, as in electric boasts just as much power)
-"The Cool Factor" (In argument)
-Price (In argument)
-Good range and reliability (Electric)
-Pollution (Gas as stated above, but I will refute that point)
-Accessibility (Gas)

I will try to argue against the areas where Gas is on top. The areas that are under argument in my opinion depend on the vehicle. The next Tesla model will be within price range (not to mention it may look nice) and there are some luxury sport electric vehicles. With that out of the way I will tackle Pollution and Accessibility this round.

Pollution: As stated in my first argument about pollution I noted that electric vehicles create less pollution only if their energy is made by renewable sources. Since the world is moving closer and closer to renewable energy each year electric vehicles are becoming cleaner and cleaner where as gas will always be harmful. To use Canada as an example here is what their government has to say, "The most important source in Canada is moving water, which generates 59 per cent of electricity supply." and "Electricity produced from renewable and nuclear sources is considered primary energy because it is captured directly from natural resources, while electricity based on fossil fuels is considered secondary energy because is produced from primary energy commodities such as coal, natural gas and oil."

So Canada is one example where they state that non renewable is secondary to renewable. This trend of renewable coming out on top isn't going away and as you can see most electricity is already made from renewable sources. To stick with Canada as an example I know that Ontario has just burned it's last piece of coal to create electricity So with all of this electricity being made from clean sources that means that electric vehicles will be so much cleaner than gas vehicles, so much so that I would say electric now wins by a landslide in this category.

This point is Electric pro as well. "By the end of the year, the Schnells or anyone else with a chargeable vehicle will be able to drive an "electric highway" to Canada, Oregon or across Stevens Pass without having to worry about running out of juice." With the government giving grants to get this done it won't be long before there are enough electric charging stations.

The one point that really hits home is this, you can charge your electric car at home. Gas simply does not have the ability to plug into an outlet and for a small fraction of the cost of gas refill itself.

So as you can see electric wins on both of these fronts as well. In a couple of years it just won't make sense to not go electric. You can get everything that a gas vehicle has except it is cheaper and cleaner for the environment to go electric. A gas car simply can't boast that it saves our precious earth the way electric vehicles do.

So let me update my list.
-More Efficient (Electric)
-"The Cool Factor" (Opinion)
-Price (Electric): Still not convinced? "Get up to $8,500 back when you purchase or lease an eligible electric vehicle.
Get up to $1,000 back on the purchase and installation of an eligible charging station."
The government really wants you to save money here because it helps them reach their goal of becoming a cleaner country.
-Good range and reliability (Electric)
-Pollution (Electric hands down)
-Accessibility (Electric)

With that I will turn this debate back over to Gas, good luck!

Sorry for the late response, my district still has school.

First, I'd like to refute your points on "Pollution" and "Accessibility".

As of December 2014, over 10,000 highway-capable plug-in electric cars have been sold in Canada since January 2011
( As of September 2015, the United States has 373,007 highway-capable plug-in electric cars sold since 2008. Even though the US' statistics were measured in a much larger period of time, a total of 81,675 plug-in electric cars were sold during the first nine months of 2015 ( and Baum and Associates)! So in fact, most of electric cars, by the thousands, don't have this renewable energy. The majority of electricity is powered by non renewable energy, like natural gas and coal- which as previously stated makes up 39 percent. Only 13 percent of electricity is powered by renewable energy. The argument must deal with reality and facts, not speculation.

Once again, gas wins by far.

Even though in 2 years, the number of EV charging stations has increased by 5,00 between 2011 and 2013. However, the number of EV charging stations is in a decline! "The number of new electric charging stations for which opening dates were available fell by two thirds in 2014, to 685 new stations from 2,003 in 2013 and 1,347 in 2012. That slowdown will be a concern for the electric vehicle industry, given that poor charging infrastructure is cited by drivers as a top reason for not buying an electric car" (Climate Home).

The argument continues to provide supposed examples of the accessibility of electric cars with the "electric highway". Once again, this may sound like a solution, but there are thousands upon thousands of highways in the US. What will be the cost of this expansive project? At this period of time this is totally unrealistic.

Also, outlets at home? Not only would that greatly lengthen the time of charging, since the technology to quickly charge cars is expensive today, but what if you are at work, or on a road trip? In addition, the house's electricity bill would greatly increase.

So let me update my list.
-More Efficient/Range (Electric)
-"The Cool Factor" (Gas- Opinion- BUT the majority of people consider electric cars ugly-except Tesla)
-Price (Tied): Many point to the cheap price of the Leaf and Prius. However, the decrease in price is because of the engines being replaced by expensive batteries, and these cars lack in power and comfort)
-Reliability (Tied)
-Pollution (Tied, if not gas)
-Accessibility (Gas)

My point is, because gas cars are easier, more accessible, possibly better for the environment, and more realistic, that they are better than electric vehicles. (AT least for now)

Thank you for this insightful, entertaining, and informational debate- I enjoyed it
Posted by Quadrunner 6 months ago
Even if it came 100% from coal, electric still has somewhat lower emissions then gasoline, because internal combustion engines are that inefficient and polluting.
Posted by mattynmax 8 months ago
Just saying most electric power in the united states comes from coal. Coal produces for polution then petrol