britkit_francis
TheCouncil

Electronic songs and groups

britkit_francis

britkit_francis

Pro

Recently, a co-worker and I had a heated debate about whether electronic music is, in his words, "retarded and obsolete". Yes, I know, this may seem pretty childish but people have there preference. I will state that the electronic genre is all right, while the Con can argue that it is "retarded and obsolete" or say their own idea.
TheCouncil

Con

To be honest I love EDM but I would like to see how flexible I am with my debating skills.

EDM or electronic dance music is the death of what we know today as music. How did we go from some of the greatest music of Bach and Mozart to a bunch of beeps and boops. This is a slippery slope. Music should be about expression how you feel not pressing the space button on a keyboard.
britkit_francis

Pro

The people's tastes change over time. The mood that usually is portrayed as a Victorian styled room with people in suits and a low rumble of chatting and clinking of champagne classes. Quite a lot of EDM fans are usually younger people that are uncomfortable with classic music like Mozart or Bach. Not all EDM is like Deadmau5's song City In Florida, which is practically just beeps, boops, and such. One song that is still EDM but with less 'in your face' sounds is Deadmau5's song I Remember, a remix of one of KasKade's songs. You might like it. It gives off a mood like you are going around in an attic or room and finding pictures of some long lost loved one.

My offense is that peoples tastes change over time and that it is possible to express feelings and mood through EDM.
TheCouncil

Con

TheCouncil forfeited this round.
britkit_francis

Pro

Due to forfeiture, I have nothing to say in this round.
TheCouncil

Con

TheCouncil forfeited this round.
Posted by smile4chaz 1 year ago
smile4chaz
This debate makes sense but as music is subjective, it's hard to find a winner with very few statistics that say one type of music is better than the other, love the topic though :)
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
britkit_francisTheCouncilTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
britkit_francisTheCouncilTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited the last two rounds with no given reason, which is rarely acceptable in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both sides had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Pro. Con started off the arguments by stating how EDM lacks the expression found in other genres such as classical - finishing by saying that it shouldn't just be beeps and boops. Pro then responds by arguing that taste in music changes over time, and that younger generations prefer the EDM sound. Pro also argued that there is a wide range of EDM songs that aren't all just beeps and boops. Unfortunately, Con then forfeited the remainder of the debate, leaving Pro's arguments and rebuttals to stand unchallenged. Due to this, Pro wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Neither side utilized sources in this debate.