KoolKat2002
arrivingatdeparture

Electronics ruin our social life

KoolKat2002

Pro

I welcome you to the debate.
The topic is electronics ruin our social life.
Plz go easy on me because i'm new and only in primary:)
arrivingatdeparture

Con

Thank-you for beginning this debate and welcome!

I accept my position against the statement that electronics ruin our social life.

KoolKat2002

Pro

Have you seen children sitting down riveted to electronics while other various children are sitting ready to interact which they are totally unaware of? Guess what I have been waiting patiently for one girl to have a conversation with me but she just ignored me that is when I felt electronics are ruining our social life like extra-terrestrial sucking up human"s minds. Electronics ruin our minds so say goodbye!
To begin with, youthful children and mature adults can"t be trusted to take of their minds from electronics and socialize. This brings a misunderstanding to others thinking that you are ignoring them and that you have no interest in them. How would you feel if you were treated in this underprivileged way?Electronics ruin our minds so say goodbye!
arrivingatdeparture

Con

Sure, but even if everything you said is true, it doesn't prove that electronics ruin our social life.

It may be true, that at some particular times at some particular places electronics distract particular people from socialising, but what about the socialising we do online?

Think of all the events that organised online on social networks - wouldn't electronics in that case be helping us? I'm not arguing that electronics encourage human interaction at all however:

If electronics ruin our social life, then everyone who has electronics would have a ruin social life (eventually). But is this the case? I'm sure many people (maybe yourself included) use electronics and still have a social life. You are right, that sometimes people can get obsessed with electronics but you can say that about anything. If you drink a bit it's social, but drink too much and you're an alcoholic (which could probably ruin your social life). If you get obssessed spending every day at the library reading that will ruin your social life too.

I think the problem stems from abuse, and you can abuse anything - electronics included. I agree that abuse of electronics ruins our social life, but doesn't abuse of anything ruin our social life?

There are a lot of ways electronics help us interact too - text your friend to meet up for a coffee, contact that friend of yours who is over seas (they might even send you some pictures of their visit) - this is certainly not ruining our social life. That is because electronics do not ruin our social life - they are neutral. The only thing that ruins our social life is us or other people, and only through abuse of something or other people.

There are ways you can use electronics to actually enrichen your social life and become more social

Here is something from a short essay on the Internet and Social Life from New York University (conclusion excerpt)

"
Despite past media headlines to the contrary, the Internet does not make its users depressed or 
lonely, and it does not seem to be a threat to community life---quite the opposite, in fact. If
anything, the Internet, mainly through e-mail, has facilitated communication and thus close ties
between family and friends, especially those too far away to visit in person on a regular basis.
The Internet can be fertile territory for the formation of new relationships as well, especially
those based on shared values and interests as opposed to attractiveness and physical appearance
as is the norm in the off-line world (see Hatfield & Sprecher 1986). And in any event, when
these Internet-formed relationships get close enough (i.e., when sufficient trust has been
established), people tend to bring them into their “real world”---that is, the traditional face-toface and telephone interaction sphere. This means nearly all of the typical person’s close friends
will be in touch with them in “real life”---on the phone or in person---and not so much over the
Internet, which gives the lie to the media stereotype of the Internet as drawing people away from
their “real-life” friends.

"
source:

http://www.yale.edu...

My conclusion is that yes, electronics are changing the way we communicate, and yes they can ruin our social life, but they can also enrichen our social life, so I'd argue that the effect electronics have on our social life comes down to if we use electronics responsibly or if we irresonsibly abuse them, I don't think you can blame the electronics.

Electronics are a tool, and every tool can be used or abused - it's down to the person (like how a hammer can be useful for building a house or for smashing it down, it depends on the person).

I look forward to reading your response!!
KoolKat2002

Pro

Have you seen children sitting down riveted to electronics while other various children are sitting ready to interact which they are totally unaware of? Guess what I have been waiting patiently for one girl to have a conversation with me but she just ignored me that is when I felt electronics are ruining our social life like extra-terrestrial sucking up human"s minds. Electronics ruin our minds so say goodbye & enjoy socializing!
To begin with, youthful children and mature adults can"t be trusted to take of their minds from electronics and socialize. This brings a misunderstanding to others thinking that you are ignoring them and that you have no interest in them. How would you feel if you were treated in this underprivileged way?Electronics ruin our minds so say goodbye & enjoy socializing!

Yes, they do help us occasionally alternatively children spend too much time indoors decreasing vitamin D from their bodies.

Moreover, youngsters now a day don"t have friends at all. Isn"t this an outrage? Juveniles are busy as buzz bees that they don"t interact with others which leave them out in every enjoyable activity. Some people think that electronics are fun which it is but did you ever sit down to think about all the disadvantages of electronics like not having friends. How could life be fun without company keeping friends? Electronics ruin our minds so say goodbye & enjoy socializing!

Likewise, children aren't going outdoors. Parents are having a predicament to get their children to go outdoors and socialize instead of being glued to electronics. There is a lack of vitamin D due to children not going outdoors and this not a good result. Do you want to have a lack of vitamin D which is an important source? Likewise, children aren't going outdoors. Parents are having a predicament to get their children to go outdoors and socialize instead of being glued to electronics. There is a lack of vitamin D due to children not going outdoors and this not a good result. Do you want to have a lack of vitamin D which is an important source? Electronics ruin our minds so say goodbye & enjoy socializing!
arrivingatdeparture

Con

Perhaps some children spend a lot of time inside and don't get enough vitamin D - but aren't we seeing an increasing trend of mobile electronics. This problem of staying inside isn't really true, since mobile devices are the future of electronics. It is argued that mobile technology is the future of electronic devices (source: http://www.financialexpress.com...)

I disagree that youngsters don't have any friends "now a day" - I'm more inclined to expect that some youngsters do have friends, and some do not - and even if it were true that the majority of youngsters did not have friends, is there any proof that electronics in essence to blame? I still think my argument is valid, that even if what you said is true, that the problem here is abuse of electronics, not the electronics themselves.

Once again you have claimed that a disadvantage of electronics is not having any friends, yet there are many people in the world who enjoy friendships and use electronics - so doesn't this again come back to the problem being abuse, not electronics? Abuse ruins our social life.

Children can now be glued to electronics and go outside too, with the increasing mobile technology, the electronics of the future, so I don't think that is a valid argument. Do I want to have a lack of vitamin D? No, but I think it's entirely unfair to say electronics stop you from getting vitamin D. once again it comes down to abuse

My conclusion is that electronics do not ruin your social life - it is abuse of electronics, inter alia, that ruins our social life. Devices do not trap people without people abusing the device - or creating devices made for abuse (like a torture device). It seems you are arguing that this is what electronics are - an abusive device, and saying that we are prisoners of our own device. I argue that this is not the case, and that electronics are more like a phone - you can use it to pass on an important message - you can prank call 111 - you can spend hours and hours and hours talking to your new boyfriend or girlfriend - but none of these are the problem of the phone / device / electronics - the only things to ruin our social life is ourselves
Posted by KoolKat2002 3 years ago
KoolKat2002
so far so good!!
i am new so plz post some comments so i can improve:)