SJS
LaurieHouse

Elementary schools should have cafeterias?

SJS

Con

Elementary schools should not have cafeterias. Younger kids are not that responsible enough and should NOT be trusted with money.
I remember giving my thirteen-year old money for the movies, telling her to ONLY use it on admission and lunch. Instead of obeying me, she spend ALL of the money on candy, pop, toys and ice cream. If a teenager can not be trusted with all your earnings, neither should a 6-year old! Adding on to that the money will most likely get stolen, lost, or destroyed. What's the point on giving money to little kids when they can't even use it wisely?
LaurieHouse

Pro

I don't see any problems with having cafeterias in elementary schools. I had one in mine, and I nor did my friends have any issues buying lunches. It was only in middle school with the introduction of vending machines and the salad bar did kids spend their money on soda and chips rather then buy the school lunch.

When I think of elementary kids, I think of 10 or 11 year olds or even a 6 year old (seems a little young for elementary school), that wouldn't really go to the movies by themselves and you would have no reason to not trust them with money.

You give them money, tell them its for lunch, and that's what they would use it for. The parent would put the money in a safe place, like the childs backpack. How could it be lost or destroyed, or even stolen. I don't think they have lockers in elementary school. Not to mention the kids would have no reason to spend it on anything else except lunch, especially in elementary school. What else are they going to spend it on?

Why would they not use it wisely?
SJS

Con

The money can be stolen by bullies, get lost when the kids are cashing them in. Without lockers (which elementary schools don't have), it would only get even more cautious as they actually have locks and combinations, thus making it safer for the money to be stored in a safe place. Kids can easily spend it on vending machines, bets with friends or bullies, and they can maybe save the money for an after-school snack without parent's permission.

Another issue is that most cafeterias are unsanitary and unhealthy; with allergies and sicknesses like diabetes raging. Parents will know what lunches and snacks to give to their children unlike cafeterias which is hard to keep track of each and every student in the entire school. Even with "healthy" items on the menus, there is still a greater chance than home made healthy meals. Children are supposed to grow their bodies, not ruin them with food like hot dogs and cookies that they can deliberately cash in on.
LaurieHouse

Pro

LaurieHouse forfeited this round.
SJS

Con

SJS forfeited this round.
LaurieHouse

Pro

LaurieHouse forfeited this round.
Posted by bettabreeder 3 years ago
bettabreeder
Today schools have a system where you send in a check through the system and the school keeps track of the money like that.