Elephants should be able to own private property.

I Pro will contend for the resolution.
Con will contend against the resolution.

Elephant "The largest land mammal on earth" [1]

Resolution "The display resolution or display modes of a digital television, computer monitor or display device is the number of distinct pixels in each dimension that can be displayed. It can be an ambiguous term especially as the displayed resolution is controlled by different factors in cathode ray tube (CRT)," [2]

Own "belonging to oneself or itself "usually used following a possessive case or possessive adjective " [3]

Thanks to Pro for bringing up this topic.

I believe that Elephants should not be able to own private property.

Thank you,

That will be all for now, Pro may proceed with his/her argument :)

Elephants are really smart. "Brains exhibit a gyral pattern more complex and with more numerous gyri than in primates, humans included" [1].

It would be kind to allow elephants to be able to own private property. I don't see it as moral for some random human to steal an elephant's food and water.

Much thanks to Pro for bringing up the topic of brains :D

I am currently completing my 1-year hospital internship and neurosurgical residency program as I have aspirations to become a neurosurgeon within the next few years.

Surprisingly, an elephant's brain is similar to that of a human's in terms of structure and complexity. How cool is that!?

Indeed, the reason for why elephants cannot own private property is not because they aren't smart enough.
The main reason that an elephant cannot own private property is because an elephant cannot pay property tax :)

It is true that some types of African elephants are endangered. However, this is not because humans are stealing food from the elephants or something of that nature. Unfortunately, elephants are endangered because ivory is so valuable to some humans that many elephants have been illegally killed for their tusks.

While elephants do not own any private property for many reasons, humans do have large areas of land reserved just for the elephants. We also have plenty of laws set up to protect their well being.

If you want to learn more about this, just click on the link! -->

Thanks so much and have a nice day

"private property
1. land or belongings owned by a person or group and kept for their exclusive use" [1]

There's no property tax on belongings, like a stash of peanuts or a straw bed. I see no good reason an elephant should be denied this right. Besides if we paid elephants for their work, they would be able to pay property taxes. Some elephants work hard, why shouldn't they receive monetary compensation? Robots in a Japanese hotel already do.

I am awake at roughly 4:00 A.M. because of this debate Stupidape :P

These are the questions that the voters must now answer for themselves:

Can elephants legally assume ownership of private property if they don't have the ability to claim such things? What if you were to give an elephant a razor sharp knife? Could you reasonably tell (in a legal sense) whether or not the elephant chose to except ownership of your gift?

Can elephants legally assume ownership of private property if they don't have the ability prove that they own it in a court of law?

Should elephants be able to earn monetary compensation even though the concepts of monetary compensation and financial management are impossible to explain to an elephant?
A robot can be given money because we can program a robot understand the concept, but elephants?

I can't wait to see what the voters think about this one :)

Thanks to Con for a wonderful debate and thanks to the voters for voting!
Posted by fire_wings 11 months ago
@Dr.1up, do you want to do a debate?
Posted by Dr.1up 11 months ago
I meant to put "Thanks to Pro" at the end there XD
Sorry about that