rco28
ZzThomps

Elevators are better then stairs.

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

rco28

Con

I define stairs as "one of a flight or series of steps for going from one level to another, as in a building", and elevator as "a moving platform or cage for carrying passengers or freight from one level to another, as in a building."

I negate the resolution "Elevators are better then stairs."

My first contention is that stairs are safer. They are very sturdy and can withstand natural disasters like earthquakes and floods much better then elevators can. According to ELcosh.com, the 173 deaths related to work on or near elevators – about 14 per year – were most often caused by falls into elevator shafts. Stairs have no such dangers, and have no chance of not working, unlike elevators, which can't operate without electricity. Elevators cause 14 deaths a year on average, which is 14 innocent lives we'll never get back.
My second contention is that stairs make people healthier. By walking up and down stairs instead of taking the easy way (the elevator), you are getting exercise, and helping build muscle in your legs. Many people that work in large office buildings (that generally have a lot of elevators) are sitting in a desk all day and need all the exercise they can get. So, since they help you get exercise, lose weight, and become a healthier, happier person, stairs are much better then elevators.
My third contention is that stairs cost way less then elevators. The average elevator costs 25,000 dollars, not counting maintenance or inspection fees. The average cost of a flight of stairs is about 7500. This is a drastic difference, and all the extra money used for unnecessary elevators could be put to better use.

Since stairs save lives, make people happier and healthier, and save money, they are much better then elevators.

I look forward to an awesome debate, even though this is kind of a weird topic! (Which makes it more fun)
ZzThomps

Pro

I affirm "Elevators are better then stairs". I thank my opponent for the challenge of this debate, and especially like its topic too! I will begin with my case.

- Climbing the stairs can be time consuming, especially if you are climbing to a higher floor. Elevators are much faster, (given you are going more than a few floors) which also saves precious time that can be used in better ways.

- Elevators are more fun than stairs. Some provide music while you wait, others have awesome views, and you can even play with the floor buttons or jump in between stops (as long as the other passengers don't mind). This may not prove true for everyone, but it is a general truth.

- In any tall building, elevators are ideal. It is ridiculous to have to climb 20 flights of stairs to work, up and down, every day. Furthermore, it would be outrageously hard to transport large objects, like an injured patient in a hospital, without the use of a device like an elevator.

Next I will refute my opponent's contentions.

My opponent claims "stairs are safer [than elevators]". However, this is completely untrue. According to [1] efesme.com, the chances of actually being killed because of an elevator are slim to none. It goes on to explain the safety mechanisms in modern elevators, and the only realistic risk is getting stuck (which is more inconvenient than it is dangerous). I would also like to point out that, according to [2] mongabay.com, 1307 people died falling from stairs or steps in the year 2000. This is a significantly higher amount than the 14 that die due to elevators each year.

My opponent also claims that stairs are healthier, due to exercise. This may be true, but it is important to acknowledge the fact that people generally choose to take the elevator instead of stairs anyway.

My opponent's third contention is that "stairs cost way less then elevators". But, in reality, I believe their added functionality is worth the cost.

For these reasons, elevators are better than stairs.

[1] http://www.efesme.com...
[2] http://danger.mongabay.com...
rco28

Con

I'm out of town, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to reply to this round, but I will do my best to return for Round 3.
ZzThomps

Pro

As my opponent is out of town, I ask that you please don't deduct any points from her for this. I look forward to our debate in round 3!
rco28

Con

I am very sorry, but I will not be able to complete this debate.
ZzThomps

Pro

ZzThomps forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
rco28ZzThompsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con concedes. Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeit.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
rco28ZzThompsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.