jevan
paul_tigger

Embryonic stem-cell research is ethical, and should be used.

jevan

Pro

I feel there is no point of anybody stating whether this reasearch is ethical but really to argue why we should not use it.

This is why there is no point to arguing whether it is ethical or not:

Scientists at an Alameda company claim they have created human embryonic stem-cell colonies without destroying an embryo -- a breakthrough they say has the potential to end the ethical debate surrounding the use of embryos to derive the cells.

Richard Doerflinger, a bioethicist at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, was highly critical of this research.

"It seems they've made some progress in reducing the direct destructiveness of the procedure," he said.

Scientists have begun competing for the first U.S. government grants to investigate a stem cell breakthrough that may lead to new treatments for diabetes, heart disease and brain disorders and avoids destroying human embryos.

Emergency heart attack patients will be injected with stem cells in a dramatic new treatment.

Truly Im saying that embryonic stem-cell research should be use, because it is ethical and enourmous possibilities to cure diseases.

Thank You!
paul_tigger

Con

paul_tigger forfeited this round.
jevan

Pro

jevan forfeited this round.
paul_tigger

Con

Hello Jevan:

It appears you have gotten quite busy too. I won't add too much more information than what I have already posted in the comment section (since I was not able to reply sooner in debate 1), but let me add to this.

You mentioned that scientists have claimed to have created human embryonic stem-cell research yet until it has been tested by the scientific community, and verified to be true, it will be what it shall be, "a claim" and not truth so we still do need to be concerned about embryonic research.

Furthermore, just because scientists have found a "substitute" or another methodology, it does not mean that they will stop using original embryonic cells. Matter of fact, it seems to me that your point still argues in favor of stem cell research in that they actually need a fertilized embryo to create these so called "colony of cells." Moreover, what do you do with the embryo that you dethawed to create the colony of cells, put it back into the freezer? (I don't think so, most likely it is designated for destruction
To add to my point, computer technology has gotten quite advanced that we no longer need to a great degree to use animals for scientific experiments. Yet many scientists will argue that no substitution can accurately create results like a real test subject. Therefore it can be argued that scientist will continue to use embryonic cells to create more colony of cells and will continue to use them as any substitute cannot replace real experimentation.

Ultimately, I am saying that if you are arguing that by the virtue of creating colony of these so called simulated stem cells, it is ethical to continue with stem cell research, then your argument falls apart as creating colony of cells still require you to use an actual embryonic cell. In addition, if you argue that embryonic cells are cells that engage in cellular transpiration, couldn't one conclude that they are alive and as cells that are alive, doesn't that reuire us to the right thing and protect those things which are living? Wouldn't that be the ethical thing to do?
Posted by super_holic_alice 9 years ago
super_holic_alice
Sth very funny is that Jevan started her point in a little wrong way..(I guess)So I guess i should vote for
paul_tigger who had given his point
Posted by Kleptin 9 years ago
Kleptin
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but haven't they already discovered a way to revert human skin cells to stem cells comparable in potency to embryological stem cells?
Posted by paul_tigger 9 years ago
paul_tigger
zara thrusting:

I think you miss the gist of the argument and I do apologize if I did not make myself clear. I only mention the arguments about the experimentation on the Jews based upon the fact that the Nazis did not believe Jews warranted living as such they justified their cruel experimentation on them for that purpose. The debate Jevan brings up is that she argues since a new means to create embryonic cells has been CLAIMED to be created we need not worry or have to argue the ETHICALNESS of stem cell research. Whereas I am trying to point out that the ethical issue is still in contention. I apologize if my argument did not make it clear.
Posted by zara_thustra 9 years ago
zara_thustra
sorry, edit:

*that a tree is not said to have moral rights.
Posted by zara_thustra 9 years ago
zara_thustra
in other words, being a moral agent that has ethical rights claims requires more than just "life" as you define it. most would argue that it requires some kind of rational decision-making capacities. it is for this reason that a true is not said to have moral rights. also, we often find it acceptable to terminate life support on brain-dead patients even when the body is still very much alive. that is because there is some ethical distinction between a rational agent (one we would call a person) and simply living organisms like bacteria.
Posted by zara_thustra 9 years ago
zara_thustra
paul tigger i'm afraid i don't follow your logic. your argument is that an embryo is a life and therefore it is wrong to experiment on them just as it was wrong to experiment on the jews. but a cow is a life. is it wrong to eat them? (i assume you would also agree that it is wrong to eat jews). and i would venture to say that a cow is (if such a comparison is possible) more "alive" than a cluster of cells with little more complex function than an amoeba.

of course, if you are a vegan or something of the sort, you can just replace eating a cow with stepping on an ant or experimenting with bacteria and fungus in a lab.
Posted by paul_tigger 9 years ago
paul_tigger
Sorry Jevan:

I am a teacher in Korea and I got busy with students so I apologize for not posting on time. I have made my comments here if you don't mind.

First, let's define what embryonic stem cells are as well as to define what I believe is life and ethics in order for us to be on the same page of music. If you disagree with the definitions I have used, please correct and we can adjust the debate accordingly.

Embryonic stem cell is by scientific definition the utilization of a fertilized embryo in an invitro enviromnment during the blastocyst stage for scientific research and experimentation. By this definition, we need to visit the question of whether an embryo is considered life or just highly organized living cells. According to two websites(Wikipedia, UCAR: let me make it clear that I am not considering these sources as the "Bible" but only a launching ground to initiate the discussion on embryonic stem cells) things which are living require the use of energy, grow and develop, respond to and adapt to their environment and engage in cellular activity; all of which an embryo actively participates in.

Next, let's define what ethics is. First and foremost, ethics is not defined in terms of what people feel are right and wrong. Instead, it refers to a notion of right and wrong and what people ought to do in light of those decisions. Moreover, it is defined as the development and growth of one's ethical standards.

Therefore the question, you are asking the community based upon the terms is whether it is right or wrong (ethical) to experiment on a living thing (embryonic tissue)? My answer comes from history in that we need to ask those Jews who had no choice in all the Nazi's medical experiences along with all the Chinese who were used in Japan's infamous Unit 731 biological warfare program where 200,000 Chinese were killed when they were exposed to biological weapons without their choice.
Posted by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
I think you are confused about "ethics" and "stem cell research". I suggest you look up embryonic stem cell research if you want to find out where ethics comes into play.
Posted by Debater2008 9 years ago
Debater2008
I have no idea who would disagree with you on this.
Posted by C-Mach 9 years ago
C-Mach
No sh!t. Is this 25 characters yet?
Vote Placed by KoreaRocks 8 years ago
KoreaRocks
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by paulsckwon 8 years ago
paulsckwon
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by booyaka 9 years ago
booyaka
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by super_holic_alice 9 years ago
super_holic_alice
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by skiies23 9 years ago
skiies23
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by chris0705 9 years ago
chris0705
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by yoon172 9 years ago
yoon172
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by Roxygirlz 9 years ago
Roxygirlz
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by zjack3 9 years ago
zjack3
jevanpaul_tiggerTied
Vote Placed by hark 9 years ago
hark
jevanpaul_tiggerTied