MouthWash
Naruto

Eminem has fallen off.

MouthWash
Started: 4/17/2012 Category: Arts

MouthWash

Pro

In this debate I will be arguing that Eminem cannot rap as well as he did in the early 2000's. His first truly bad album was Recovery and he did not get any better afterward.

First of all, he can no longer write lyrics as well as he did. Take for example the songs 'Renegade' or 'Lose Yourself.' On Renegade, he rhymes 3 syllables almost 20 times over. Let's take a look at it now (The underlined words are ones that rhyme):

"See they call me a menace, and if the shoe fits I'll wear it
But if it don't, then ya'll swallow the truth, grin and bear it,
Now who's the king of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative, lyrics?
Who could inherit the title, put the youth in hysterics?
Using his music to steer it, sharing his views and his merits,
But there's a huge interference, they're saying you shouldn't hear it,
Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit,
Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish,
But I'm debated, disputed, hated, and viewed in America
as a mother****** drug addict, like you didn't experiment?
That's when you start to stare at who's in the mirror
and see yourself as a kid again, and you get embarrassed
And I got nothing to do but make you look stupid as parents
You ****** do-gooders - it's too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!
And do you have any clue what I had to do to get here? I don't
think you do so stay tuned and keep your ears glued to the stereo."

And here is Lose Yourself:

"His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy,
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready."

He's telling a story! Notice how doesn't need (very rarely) "filler" words that do not make sense but only fit in to make something rhyme. This is in contrast to Recovery where he uses them, unfortunately, in a large amount of songs. 'Without a doubt undoubtedly?'

My second point is that his song no longer have original concepts behind them. In this case I will use the song 'Stan' to illustrate this. In Stan, he raps from a viewpoint of an obsessed fan, who writes letters to Eminem but gets no response. This drives him to murder his pregnant girlfriend and himself.

In another song, 'Cleaning out my Closet,' he lashes out at his mother, explaining how she abused him as a child. This is far more original than his Recovery songs, in which the only original concept he uses is in '25 to Life,' where he still fails to emotionally deliver the song, thanks to his decline in lyricism and his frequent use of "filler" rhymes.

I conclude from this that Eminem can no longer rap and only shouts his lyrics in a repetitive and emotionless manner. It is up to my opponent to show otherwise.
Naruto

Con

Eminem is one of the most lyrical genius of all time. Granted he wasn't as offensive in his lyrics as his previous albums but he has not god forbid fell off. I'm not kissing up to him at all but he has never fell off. First of all, he still gets grammys on his songs and could raps circles around Lil Wayne Drake the whole YMCMB. When it's all said and done, Em has a chance to surpass Tupac and Biggie as the greatest MC ever and that's the bottom line. He has inspired me to rap and a couple others but as far as fallen of is he has fallen off the advanced to the elite squad. If you think he "fell off'" and you have a beef with him then you call him, email him or whatever then you do that. Before you talk behind his back about what he does at least get your facts right. "You beef with me I'll even the score equally take you on Jerry Springer and beat your @$$ legally" (role model Eminem but you already knwe that.)
MouthWash

Pro

"First of all, he still gets grammys on his songs and could raps circles around Lil Wayne Drake the whole YMCMB."

That is not a very big compliment. There are people on the street that could "rap circles" around Lil Wayne or Drake. Comparing him to the horrible pop rappers that people listen to today does not mean he hasn't fallen off.

"If you think he "fell off'" and you have a beef with him then you call him, email him or whatever then you do that."

If I was one of his close friends, he would probably admit to me he can't rap any more. His "interviews" are all planned out by Interscope. Record labels make the artist into something they are not. Interscope tells him what to wear (baggy pants in 2001, skinny jeans in 2010).

They allow the artist to express themselves as long as their material sells. For instance, look at Relapse. His flow was fine, his lyrics were still the best in the game, and it was original. But that kind of subject matter (murdering) doesn't have that commercial appeal that it did in the early 2000's. So what happens next? He releases Recovery, an album without Dre beats, pop artist features and boring, repetitive rapping.

Rapping comes from love of the game, not money. My guess is that Eminem simply does not enjoy rapping any more. The album titles tell you the story. He said that "rapping gets me high," and his return to rapping was apropriately titled "Relapse" (meaning he is "Relapsing" into rap). His next album is called "Recovery," meaning he is "recovering" from rap. If you listen to 25 to Life he talks about leaving hip-hop, saying "I'm divorcing you." This is after he stated he was "married to the game" in Not Afraid. Eminem can't say these things because of his record label, so he uses symbolism instead.

Now moving on, I pointed out that Eminem cannot write lyrics like he used to, and I provided examples to illustrate this. You ignored them.

I pointed out that he frequently uses "filler" rhymes in his latest songs. Again, no response to this.

I pointed out that there were no more original concepts or emotional rapping. Once again, you ignored them.

My opponent seems more interested in defending Eminem than addressing my arguments, and they extend to the next round.

Naruto

Con

he has a histiory and some facts of his awesome ness for instince

Eminem: Facts
01. Em�ƒ�����€š�����€ž��s in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the fastest selling hip-hop artist.

02. One of the Requirements to be signed to Shady Records is you have to battle Eminem

03. During the shooting of 8 Mile, Em would write lyrics for the soundtrack during breaks. When shooting resumes crew members will have to pull the notepad from him in order to catch his attention and make him stop writing.

Also Lose Yourself may have topped the poll on songs that spurs ball players to victory. eminem has been mentioned and used all over the world.

Threre is one thing I did not do was enlist the facts of why Emhas never fell off. First of all, on his interview he clearly said his stuff is brutal your just finding songs editing them and sayin their corney also your saying hes a liar look at the movies their true
MouthWash

Pro

"1. Eminem is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the fastest selling hip-hop artist."

I hardly see how that makes a difference, seeing as he was the best-selling rapper of all time before Recovery.

"2. One of the Requirements to be signed to Shady Records is you have to battle Eminem"

Con does not source this statement and I cannot verify it. However, Eminem is still capable of freestyling and this does not support your argument in any way.

"3. During the shooting of 8 Mile, Em would write lyrics for the soundtrack during breaks. When shooting resumes crew members will have to pull the notepad from him in order to catch his attention and make him stop writing."

Not sure about the validity of this either. If it is true, it doesn't matter. 8 Mile was released in 2002 (Eminem's prime).

"Threre is one thing I did not do was enlist the facts of why Em has never fell off. First of all, on his interview he clearly said his stuff is brutal your just finding songs editing them and sayin their corney also your saying hes a liar look at the movies their true"

I apologize for not sourcing the songs I referenced in the first round. Con did not have to accuse me of editing them though.

Let us look at my previous arguments. I made arguments against Eminem's lyrical quality, originality, and emotion.

He has not responded to any of them.

He has not supported his own arguments with any veritable facts or evidence.

He accused me of editing the lyrics to his songs, a baseless claim which should cost him the conduct point.

In light of this, voting Pro is the only reasonable option.

Sources for round one and two:

[1] http://www.azlyrics.com...

[2] http://www.metrolyrics.com...

[3] http://www.metrolyrics.com...

[4] http://www.azlyrics.com...

[5] http://www.azlyrics.com...

[6] http://www.azlyrics.com...

Naruto

Con

CompareAdding...Added to List
You can only add up to 10 items. Please remove some items from your list to continue adding new ones.
Eminem Show$6 and up
(12 stores)
8 Mile
Customer reviews (6)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
8 Mile$5 and up
(21 stores)
Marshall Mathers LP
Customer reviews (295)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Marshall Mathers LP$7 and up
(26 stores)
Encore
Customer reviews (5)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Encore$12 and up
(12 stores)
Curtain Call: The Hits [Clean]
Customer reviews (11)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Curtain Call: The Hits [Clean]$4 and up
(13 stores)
Curtain Call: The Hits
Customer reviews (16)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Curtain Call: The Hits$10 and up
(3 stores)
Relapse
Customer reviews (165)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Relapse$1 and up
(30 stores)
Relapse: Refill
Customer reviews (28)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Relapse: Refill$12 and up
(17 stores)
Recovery
Customer reviews (51)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Recovery$6 and up
(17 stores)
Eminem Show
Customer reviews (1)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem Show$9 and up
(9 stores)
Without Me
Customer reviews (6)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Without Me$1 and up
(6 stores)
Tribute to Eminem
Customer reviews (10)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Tribute to Eminem$8 and up
(5 stores)
Eminem Presents: The Re-Up
Customer reviews (75)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem Presents: The Re-Up$9 and up
(11 stores)
Relapse [Clean]
Customer reviews (47)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Relapse [Clean]$8 and up
(11 stores)
Curtain Call: The Hits [Deluxe Edition]
Customer reviews (39)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Curtain Call: The Hits [Deluxe Edition]$16 and up
(3 stores)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Encore [Clean]$12 and up
(6 stores)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem - The Eminem Show (Clean...$9 and up
(2 stores)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem Double Sided Recovery album...$5
eCRATER
Re-Up
Customer reviews (1)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Re-Up$12 and up
(2 stores)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Marshall Mathers LP [Australian Import...$19 and up
(5 stores)
Marshall Mathers LP [Clean]
Customer reviews (56)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Marshall Mathers LP [Clean]$5 and up
(12 stores)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem Show [Deluxe]$19
(1 store)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem Mousepad$12
Atomic Mall
Graffiti the World [Universal Republic]
Customer reviews (1)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Graffiti the World [Universal Republic]$8 and up
(15 stores)
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Albums Produced By Eminem; The Eminem...$19
Barnes &...
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem Albums, including: Anger...$15
Amazon.com
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Curtain Call: The Hits [Vinyl]$19
Amazon.com
CompareCompareAdding...Added to List
Eminem - Relapse (Explicit) - MP3..http://www.bing.com...
Posted by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
I agree with you so much! I miss "slim shady". However, if no one accepts, I may just take you up on this offer, to make it interesting for me.
Vote Placed by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
MouthWashNarutoTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't know what the last round was about for con. lol
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
MouthWashNarutoTied
Reasons for voting decision: spelling was bad, from the screwed up text the con copied part of his argument directly from a random site, pro used sources better, superior arguments. All points to the pro
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
MouthWashNarutoTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO made an argument, and Naruto spammed useless crap.