Artpop
IslamAhmadiyya

Eminem is the best rapper alive.

Started: 11/10/2013 Category: Music

Artpop

Pro

I will really enjoy debating this one, if someone things differently than I do. I look forward for you to accept the debate, and let the best 'man' win. You can start posting arguments. Have a nice evening, mrs. Artpop
IslamAhmadiyya

Con

Salam, that means peace in Arabic.
I'll be happy to debate with Pro, I will thus start with bringing in my arguments for the side of Con and I will show why Eminem is not the 'best' rapper alive.

Definition of,
best: adj. 1) of the highest quality, excellence, or standing. 2) most advantageous, suitable, or desirable.
rapper: n. 1) a person who performs rap music.
opinion: n. 1) a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. 2) a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
[1]

1) Eminem is one of the world's best-selling music artists
and is the best-selling artist of the 2000s.[3] He has been listed and ranked as one of the greatest artists of all time by many magazines, including Rolling Stone magazine which ranked him 82nd on its list of The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[2]

1.1) Now in my own words, Eminem is a rapper, his race is caucasian, which shouldn't matter anyhow, and he is very well praised for his work. He has won many awards and has lots of fans who enjoy his music.

2) But no matter how great a person is, nobody can ever be considered the best, in anything. Nobody in this world is perfect, nobody in this world produces the best of the best, because the definition of best as I have stated earlier, is of the HIGHEST quality, HIGHEST excellence, and the HIGHEST standing. If we take a look at the word best in this manner, we can see that nothing can be the 'best', because then NOTHING can ever be better than it, because best is always the best. If something can be 'better' than best, then that is a contradiction and the 'best' was never the best to begin with.

See where I am going with this?

3) Now another thing about 'best' is that it is also a matter of opinion what is best and what is not the best. One person may think Eminem is the 'best' rapper, and someone else may think Soulja Boy or whatever people listen to these days is the best rapper. It is all a matter of opinion. The FACT is that nobody is the best globally, but it is only to a personal level.

3.1) To add to this, there are thousands and thousands of rappers. Many are famous, many are insignificant and underrated. Many are known, many are not. Every human being has not listened to every single music created or every song written, there will always be something that we miss, and who knows? We may find a newer favorite, something even better.

3.2) So stating that Eminem is THE best rapper out there is pretty much saying that ALL of the rappers that everybody has listened to, whether that rapper be famous, infamous, or never heard of before, IS inferior to Eminem and their raps and music are not greater than Eminem's.

What defines something being better and greater than the other? What does Eminem do that others don't, or let us say, cannot?

3.3) So all of this is just a matter of opinion. Just to point out there, Eminem wasn't even ranked #1 anyway of the greatest artists, and I'm pretty sure there are rappers that are in a higher ranked position than him. Even if he'd be #1, he still cannot be considered the best. Best is not universal, it is personal. You can with all right say something is best, but it is only best for you. You however have no right to say something is best for someone else. I could like another rapper and think it is best, or at least better than Eminem.

4) Now I am expecting Pro to bring in some statistics, viewpoints, record sales, and opinions from other folks to show that Eminem is the best rapper alive. This however does NOT represent me, nor the world, nor ANYBODY else for that matter. All it represent is their own opinion.

So quick recap:
-Best is not universal, but personal. What I think is best may be different from you, and vice versa.
-When something is the best, it means it is The BEST, and NOTHING can possibly ever exceed or be better than it.
-Stating something is 'best' is a personal opinion and does NOT represent the opinion of every individual in this world. It only represents you.

That would be all for me this round. I'll await Pro and his arguments.

Peace.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Artpop

Pro

First of all, I thank my opponent for accepting the debate.

1) I think you've used only web-internet sources and not your own knowledge, which I do not really appreciate. It is not what makes the debate fun, but I shall do some stuff the same as you've done it.

2) Calling someone THE BEST at something, is not always just someone's opinion. Especially in Eminem's case.
For example, here I can highlight beauty pageants.
- 1 girl is crowned as miss Universe.
- Maybe she's not the most beautiful girl alive to me ( that would be subjective )
- But she is however crowned as one.

3) Eminem is the first 'white guy,' as they used to call him, that was accepted as a rapper, because he was so good. Dr. Dre - worlds best music producer accepted him as one of them. He is the first!

4) It's not just my opinion, but it's world-wide.
As I said before, it's not only 1-person's opinion.
Here are some links, which will show you, who's first. WORLD-WIDE.

http://www.thetoptens.com...
http://www.mtv.co.uk...
http://www.vulture.com...

5)
5. 1. He has 13 Grammy awards,
5. 2. Has won:
(1999)
Best Hip-Hop x2
Best New Artist
(2000)
International Hip-Hop Artist
Best Rap Solo Performance
Best Rap Album
Best Album
Best Male Video
Video of the Year
Lyricist of the Year
(2001)
Best Selling Album (foreign or domestic)
International Album of the Year
International Hip-Hop Artist
UR Fave: International Artist
Best Hip-Hop
Best Rap Album
Best Rap Solo Performance
Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group
Outstanding National Single
Outstanding National Album
Best International Male Solo Artist
Best Male Vocalist
World's Best Selling Rap Artist
(2002)
Best International Artist
Album of the Year
Video of the Year
Best Male Video
Best Rap Video
Best Album
R&B/Hip-Hop Album of the Year
International Hip-Hop Artist
Lyricist of the Year
(2003)
best Hip-Hop/R&B Male Artist
best Pop/Rock Male Artist
Best Music
Best Breakthrough Male
Outstanding National Single
Best International Male Solo Artist
Most Performed Song From A Film
International Hip-Hop Artist
Best Rap Album
Best Short Form Music Video
World's Best American Male Artist
World's Best Selling Pop/Rock Artist
(2004)
Most Performed Song
International Hip-Hop Artist
Best Hip-Hop
Best Rap Solo Performance
Best Rap Song
(2005)
best Hip-Hop/R&B Album
best Pop/Rock Album
Outstanding National Major Label Recording x2
International Hip-Hop Artist
Best International Male Solo Artist
Outstanding National Single x2
Lyricist of the Year
Choice Music: Rap Track
Choice Music: Rap Artist
World's Best Selling Rap/Hip-Hop Artist
World's Best Selling Pop/Rock Artist
(2006)
best Rap/Hip-Hop Album
best Rap/Hip-Hop Male Artist
best Rap/Hip-Hop Male Artist
International Hip-Hop Artist
(2007)
International Hip-Hop Artist
(2008)
World's Best Selling Rap/Hip-Hop Artist
(2009)
Best Male Act
Best Hip-Hop x2
Best Hip Hop Act
(2010)
best Rap/Hip-Hop Male Artist
best Rap/Hip-Hop Album
Best International Male Solo Artist
Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group
Best International Act x2
Best Rap Album
(2011)
Best Hip-Hop Act
Top Artist
Top Male Artist
Top Rap Artist
Top Social Artist
Top Streaming Artist
Top Billboard 200 Album
Top Rap Album
Top Rap Song
Best Rap Album
Outstanding Video / Major Budget
(2012)
Best Male
(2013)
Global Icon
Best Hip-Hop Act
Artist Of The Year

AND 13 GRAMMYS!

That's it for the wins, but he has been nominated every single year in more various categories. He has in total 244 awards and 369 nominations - such as no rapper alive or dead has!

IslamAhmadiyya

Con

IslamAhmadiyya forfeited this round.
Artpop

Pro

Artpop forfeited this round.
IslamAhmadiyya

Con

I apologize for my previous forfeit, I was busy.

I will refute Pro's arguments and give my conclusion at the end.

1) We're not here to have fun, not me, however. My position is simply to prove that Eminem is not the best rapper alive. I find it quite amusing that you started off by stating, 'I think'. Now are you not sure about your own proposition? Now about the internet sources, only the definitions and the wikipedia quote were from the internet, and I've used them as a base for my later main argument, which is based off my own knowledge. Not that it matters anyhow in the end.

(2.0) You're right, something being THE BEST is not always an opinion. There are things that exist in the world (or outside this world), that are considered infinitely great and nothing can ever exceed it. Such an example can be God, who is considered the Best and Greatest, and nothing can ever surpass Him in anything.

(2.1) But here, we are talking about a rapper, we are discussing music, we are discussing melodic poems performed in a rhythmic style where the tastes can differ from person to person. No two humans are the same, every human being is distinct and unique. Every individual has their own likes/dislikes, preferences, ideas, opinions, and all that jazz. Enforcing an opinion to override a person's preference is invalid. Exactly what you are doing now.

(2.2) Because we are discussing 'music', we can never entitle some musician/artist to be the best, no matter how good we find their work to be. No matter how good a rap sounds to our ears, we cannot assume the next person feels the same way. So in Eminem's case, him being the BEST rapper IS an opinion, and denying THIS will crumble your entire argument, as I have already proven to you that overriding a person's preference is invalid.

(2.3) Not only this, but you have not even provided any criteria for 'best' anyway. So in what ways is Eminem the best? Is it the melody of his music beat? Is it the sound of his voice? Is it the style of his raps? Is it the well thought out lyrics? You have not even provided these criteria to determine what exactly is Eminem the best in. Stating that Eminem is the best rapper is vague and is automatically untrue.

You wrote:
"- 1 girl is crowned as miss Universe.
- But she is however crowned as one."

(2.4) Yes, she is crowned by PEOPLE who BELIEVE she is the most beautiful girl alive according to THEIR OWN views. Not YOURS, NOT MINE. This is a horrible excuse for a logical argument, I'm sorry to say. You are simply saying basically, 'the majority opinion is the correct view.'

(2.5) We all know that's false. Just because a large group of people believe and accept something as fact/true, doesn't make it true. All the people in the world can believe that the Sun doesn't exist, it doesn't mean it's true. I can give countless examples of why this logic is flawed. I don't think I have to continue on more about this now.

3) Eminem is THE first white rapper? Says who? So you are saying that no white person has ever rapped before Eminem got big? Don't make me laugh. I won't even bother with this one. You didn't provide any source for this one either.

4) Please see 2.4 - 2.5. I don't have to re-explain myself.

5) Those awards mean nothing here. They are all based off opinions, I'll challenge every single one of them to provide evidence to prove Eminem is the best rapper instead of spewing out their own perceptions and majority viewpoints.

---

One good quote I found on the web: "There is no such thing as the best, 'cause you can always do better."

I think this pretty much sums up at least half of my reasonings. I hope you understand that Eminem cannot be considered THE best rapper alive. Yes, you can consider him a great rapper, a very great one. But there is no such thing as -best-. We humans are far from perfect, and will never ever ahieve perfection. But it's our striving for perfection that makes us human.

I now make the conclusion, the title is based off of Pro's own opinion, and therefore you cannot consider Eminem to be the best rapper alive. There are countless rappers out there, and Eminem definitely was not the first white caucasian rapper. Aside from all that, the viewpoints of a majority can never be the criteria of determining what is best. On top of all this, no criterias for 'the best' were given at all. The debate is too vague to begin with.

So all in all, Eminem is not the best rapper alive.

It was fun debating. Good luck.

Wasalam
Peace
Posted by Marghe.anselmi 2 years ago
Marghe.anselmi
Eminem is the best rapper alive
Posted by IslamAhmadiyya 3 years ago
IslamAhmadiyya
Lmao, am I really supposed to believe something as vague as that?

All I gotta do is send this link and it'll give you a little history lesson of rappers who were white way before Eminem. http://www.vulture.com...

By the way, you ever heard of Vanilla Ice? Everlast? Marky Mark? Beastie Boys?

They were all PROFESSIONAL white rappers before Eminem even got big. I really found it astounding you would even consider Eminem being the first white guy ALLOWED to rap. It seems as if you almost worship him. Just because he makes good raps compared with other white dudes don't make him the first guy officially allowed to rap. You can't make that connection.

Music =/= rap. Saying I know nothing about music is stretching it too far. I don't listen to rap, I think most of it is garbage. But this is all besides the point, this isn't a debate regarding who knows more about music. There's so many different types of music out there.

Me trying to provide rational arguments why Eminem cannot logically be the best rapper does not mean I know nothing about music. I love how you just make that generalized statement.

Good luck to you in this debate, and as always, have a nice day.
Peace
Posted by Artpop 3 years ago
Artpop
Just 1 comment to ISlamAhmadiyya: I didn't say Eminem is the first rapper who THOUGHT OF : 'Oh, I'm white, I want to rap too, who cares,' and started rapping in his room.

He's the first white guy who actually was allowed to rap, because rap was a part of black people's culture. It was only their thing. But Eminem was so good, that he first managed to succeed.

Peace, you obviously know nothing bout music.
Posted by Artpop 3 years ago
Artpop
Eminem is king. Period.
Posted by TheAmazingAtheist1 3 years ago
TheAmazingAtheist1
True.

Typically, it's based upon matter of opinion. But in this case, it's not.

And she is simply reffering to a rapper of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality.
Posted by Artpop 3 years ago
Artpop
What am I talking about, or .. ? The guys is a global icon, indeed ;)
Posted by SONOFGOD2013 3 years ago
SONOFGOD2013
The guy his is con. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!