TinyBudha
debatre

Emotion is the basis of all decisions

TinyBudha

TinyBudha

Pro

no semantics or trolling, we use the common sense definitions and work out the kinks during the debate. The response time will be 24 hours! 8000 characters in each response.

My goal will be to state that any decision a human being makes is based on emotions alone. This isn't to say there are no rational decisions...
debatre

Con

I agree with the definitions! lol

Well, at what point does the emotional become the rational? If emotional and rational are on opposite ends of the spectrum, it could be possible to make a rational decision, void of emotion. If I eat a spinach salad(which I hate) because I know its good for me, where is the emotional aspect? I merely ate a salad to stay healthy, I was indifferent in the process of choosing when it came to emotions. It was a rational thing to do. Just because a decision comes from the brain, does not make it emotional.
TinyBudha

Pro

I am here to reveal something fundemental about how the brain works, I will show you exactly why emotion is the key to all decisions. Many people think that they are mostly reasonable, that at the end of the day they relly on reason to make their decisions, but this is simply not true.

I'll state it as simply as I can. Humans operate very primitively in how we think. Our ultimate goal is to reach satiation for a given desire. Under this model, lets not chase the origin of where the desire came from, lets just have it be a given that your brain crealted the desire. Once this desire is in place there has to be a method to achieve satiation, but what method and what proccess will bring the person their satisfaction? Here is where logic and reason come it. The way I see it, logic and reason are simply the tools we have been given in order to achieve satiation, we use them as a path finder. If a person had no desire that they wanted to fulfill, then logic and reason would serve no purpose. Thus the brain can be compared to a police dog. First you give it the smell it needs to find like drugs or clothing of a missing person (this represents the desire), so what does the dog do? The dog tracks down where that smell can be located (where satiation for that desire can be found)....This proccess happens on a huge scale in the brain, instead of just one need to fulfilll we have many and we prioritize our desires and are even smart enough to sacrifice one desire for the achievement of a greater one.

Intellect is good at giving us results, it tells us what we can do and the results of doing it, but it can never tell us what we should do, let that resonate because that is the key here, if you really think about that, the answer is right in that statement. Logic can never tell us what we should do, its void of emotion, it doesn't do anything unless the human heart, the emotions give it something to aim for and direct towards. Thus all decisions, a decision being an action which an individual thinks that they should do, must come from emotional directives.

And there is reasearch to back these claims up as well...

"decision-making isn’t logical, it’s emotional, according to the latest findings in neuroscience....at the point of decision, emotions are very important for choosing. In fact even with what we believe are logical decisions, the very point of choice is arguably always based on emotion."[1]

Furthermore, people who lose the parts of their brain controlling emotion almost completely lose the ability to make decisions, supporting these findings.

"neuroscientist Antonio Damasio made a groundbreaking discovery. He studied people with damage in the part of the brain where emotions are generated. He found that they seemed normal, except that they were not able to feel emotions. But they all had something peculiar in common: they couldn’t make decisions. They could describe what they should be doing in logical terms, yet they found it very difficult to make even simple decisions, such as what to eat. Many decisions have pros and cons on both sides—shall I have the chicken or the turkey? With no rational way to decide, these test subjects were unable to arrive at a decision."[1]

These results can only act to affirm that decisions are always based in emotion and just reason, again this is because emotion is the prerequisite to the use of reason, intellect and logic, in the first place.

To answer my opponent's question specifically I have to ask, by eating a sandwich aren't you trying to stay healthy? In this case isn't that just another emotional desire that you are using reason to uphold? Are you not achieving some small emotional satisfaction by achieving health? Furthermore why did you chose to eat in that instance? And why did you chose spinach instead of something else? You probably simply preffered to eat at that moment, and it wasn't because that moment was the most logical moment to eat a spinach sandwich, it was just because you felt like eating a spinach sandwich at that moment for arbitrary reasons...

I hope this helps, this is my argument.

sources

[1] http://bigthink.com...

debatre

Con

Well, there is literally not a single article supporting my side of the debate... The topic is quite too narrow and stacked for pro-side since the beginning. Try creating an actual debate topic, not just creating a debate for the sake of having a heavily stacked case all prepared for you to win. Cheers
TinyBudha

Pro

I'll take that as a concession, however I would just like to state that the topic really isn't stacked against the other side. I got this from my own theory, and most people don't know about this stuff, its actually pretty important stuff to know...

The opponent has concede. I thank him for his time, con, hopefully you can keep responding so we dont have to wait 24 hours for a forfeit...
debatre

Con

You haven't seen the hundreds of articles with almost the same topic as your own debate? Wish it were something that wasn't almost 100% psychological consensus, then it could have actually been a debate. Sorry for wasting your time and mine. Cheers all.
TinyBudha

Pro

The opponent concedes Vote Pro
debatre

Con

debatre forfeited this round.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
emotion+option
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
TinyBudhadebatreTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and concession.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
TinyBudhadebatreTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.