Eldunari
schachdame

Emotional Expression

schachdame

Eldunari

Pro

Do you believe that you should be judged by how you feel about something. Say you don't like the band everyone likes, you don't like the clothes everyone likes, you don't think the cute guy or girl everyone is looking at is attractive, should you be judged by that ?? Is it bad to be different ?? Is it bad to think differently ?? Is it bad to have your heart tell you something that goes against the will of others ??
schachdame

Con

Hello Eldunari, thanks for initiating this debate. As you did not set any specific guidelines I am assuming that the first round is for acceptance (in terms of fairness), but I'd really like to use it to ask for further clarification of your topic.

At the moment I presume that you argue, that it is wrong to use information about a person concerning his or her preferences to built your opinion about them.
I'll take the Con side from the position that preference and taste are an important part of relationships and also link to a persons moral perception. And if you are surrounded by people that you have nothing in common with or don't approve your choices, you may consider this as a bad sign in one or many ways.

I am looking forward to reading your arguments, although I hope you will keep the douple-Questionmarks to a minimum. It's probably supporting your statement, that different is better, but it is really a pain (lovely, we have ourselves the first example of the debate's problem).
Eldunari

Pro

I'm sorry if my argument wasn't clear. I am arguing that it is wrong and very unfair to judge a person for how they view the world and how they feel about something. It is wrong to view someone as a bad person if they do not share our opinion on religion, media, culture, superstition, tradition, art, etc. I have seen many people excluded because of their lack of interest in the latest news, celebrities, games, and for being of a different culture and tradition. I am pro for emotional expression and having the ability to express your true self without fear of judgment, exclusion, or bullying.
schachdame

Con

1 | Someone's true self

The ideal version would be, that everyone has perfect morals. These morals are supported and ensured by laws. The fact that the laws of different countries and states are never fully the same and rather often show severe differences , reflects that there is no consent about the perfect morals. Someone's true self includes everyone's actions, opinions and traditions. So what about the actions and tradition you might not regard as morally acceptable e.g. forms of child abuse like the circumcision of boys (in the Jewish tradition) or girls (a very painful process often found in African tribes [1 http://www.who.int...])? Promoting perfect freedom to express and do anything you want is just lawlessness.

Bullying and Exclusion due to someones habits and actions is never meant to be abolished - just controlled in the way it is beneficial for society. Putting someone in jail or in a mental institute is an action that excludes said person from their society he or she they cannot live in it.
The lines here are very difficult and controversial, like many debates here on DDO show: Is a pedophile that never touched a child "bad" and needs to be excluded? Or the other way round: Is it wrong to call a convicted child molester "bad"?

2 | Bad

Bad is vague judgment that we loosely apply to many things. So far Pro has not provided any form of definition for it, which would have been useful. Just the average FreeDictionary [2 http://www.thefreedictionary.com...] provides 16 different ways to interpret and use the word bad, and Pro cannot claim that all of them apply to the act of making up your mind about someone according to his preferences and actions. Just quoting for example things like "vulgar" or "severe".
Bad or good are concepts that are neither fully defined nor do people genuinely agree over them. Stating that it is "bad"/wrong if someone is called a "bad" person is basically an argument that draws a perfect cycle around the individual morals of the person using it. Means: it never means the exact same to two people.
In conclusion does Pro's individual perception of bad not even contribute to solve any existing bullying or exclusion problem in schools or workplaces.

3 | Preferences are information

Shared Interests are one central key to functioning friendships [3 http://www.telegraph.co.uk...]. If the other persons does not share neither your morals (e.g. concepts of a "good" friendship) nor interest you are very unlikely to develop a functioning friendship. Therefore putting effort into it would be illogical and exhausting. A lucky thing is, that there is no such thing as "everyone else thinks". There is always someone who does not agree with those you might subjectively regard as the majority.

4 | Therefore

- Excluding someone from your life, because you don't have shared interets or morals is valid
- Excluding people from society is valid, especially when it helps to secure said society
- "Bad" is a vague and morals based adjective that does not provide the clearness needed for this debate

[1] WHO, Female genital mutilation, http://www.who.int...
[2] The Free Dictionary: Bad http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[3] The Telegraph: Shared interets key to friendshiphttp://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Personal Note | You might want to have a look into basic debate introductions in the forums section. I've seen this is your first debate so I'll try to explain: Debates are a bit like chess and if you don't know the difference between a queen and rock, everyone has a hard time playing with you. Please don't take this personal :)

As far as the topic goes: We are not primarily talking about bullying. As far as I can see is this only a further step of your initial statement, that it is wrong to judge people because of their likes and dislikes. You might use it as an argument but the Con-side does not obligate me to argue that bullying is "good". I am just showing that your concept of "bad" is incorrectly used in this context.
Eldunari

Pro

Hahahahhaha, thanks a lot. This is my first day on here, so I'm sorry if I'm not a good opponent. You are obviously intellegent and very skilled in the art of debating. I cannot argue with you logic and reasoning. I'm glad you were my opponent and thank you for giving your feedback and good sportsmanship.
schachdame

Con

Thanks, although I made a embarrassing amount of ... I sometimes leave traces of the old sentences when I edit. It's either a individual problem or a common foreigner's problem, and I usually see it right after I pressed the "submit" button.
Anyway. My first debate here was way worse than this. My opponent just kept on defining multiple BOP for me and I did not even know what a BOP was. I struggled the whole time. I am still learning a lot basics in every debate. But if you get the hang of it, you can learn to approach topics from multiple sides and that keeps your thoughts flexible and awake. Debating itself is a pretty cool thing and I hope this first debate did not discourage you.

In terms of a final statement:
I've basically said everything I wanted to, Pro did not extend the argumentation in this round further, so I am left to say thanks to my opponent for initiating this friendly debate and thanks to any voter for reading it.
Vote Placed by Ajab 2 years ago
Ajab
EldunarischachdameTied
Reasons for voting decision: No proper case made from E's side whereas s made a good case using sources.
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
EldunarischachdameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Reason for my vote: Pro made no arguments. Tip for Pro: Use statements rather than questions in Round 1 when hosting the debate.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
EldunarischachdameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes in final round.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 2 years ago
MassiveDump
EldunarischachdameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Just passing through. Concession and what not. Good luck on further improvements later on.