jpaivanhs
msancheznhs

Employer Discrimination of Tattoos in the Workplace

jpaivanhs

jpaivanhs

Con

Employers should not discriminate a potential employee based on their tattoos. As said by the author of the VUTrailblaizer, Jenna Prewett, "The practice of tattooing has been around for millennia and has held several different purposes. Those purposes could be to identify status or represent community. The Ancient Greeks used tattooing to mark those in their community that were criminals or slaves. The Romans later adopted this practice. These two cultures used the practice of tattooing criminals as a means of control. The earliest record of a human being tattooed comes from an Iceman who dates back to 3300 B.C." (Prewett). Tattoo"s have been around for thousands of years and are used as a way to express oneself. For several cultures, it is normal to have tattoo"s covering the body and their society doesn"t feel the need to force one to cover them up.
In addition, many people use tattoos in order to express their religions. According to the Bill of Rights, "The First Amendment to the Constitution protects freedom of religion by banning Congress from passing any law respecting an establishment of religion and from prohibiting people from freely exercising their religion. The Supreme Court has applied these limits to state governments through the Fourteenth Amendment" (Bill of Rights). This right should protect all those who have religious tattoos from having to cover them up in the workplace.

Prewett, Jenna. "Tattoo Discrimination Shouldn't Exist in the Workplace." VU Trailblazer. Drupal, n.d. Web. 15 Oct. 2013.

United States. National Archives and Records Administration. The Bill of Rights.
29 Jan. 1998. 15 Oct. 2013 <http://www.archives.gov......
charters_of_freedom/bill_of_rights/bill_...
msancheznhs

Pro

Pro
Employers had every right to decide whether or not they want to hire a person with tattoos. No matter what your skills are, tattoos are intimidating to the general public. They are perceived as signs of bad boys/girls. In a sub-culture tattoos are maybe statements but in society they are just ugly and degrading. Unless you have your own business, personal body modification such as tattoos should stay undercover especially if you happen to want that executive position, or just a good job. In society the people exchange money for services and good, and if the image as an employee is offensive to them, there will be no business and which equals no employment because the owner wants a business that is successful. Many employers will think twice about hiring a person with many body modifications such as tattoos mainly because of the gang stigma that is associated with it. It's not really discrimination on the part of the employer, it is common sense. If a business owner wants a successful business, and that means hiring a person that has a good appearance and is appealing to customers. Employers will chose the person with the best appearance over the person covered in tattoos. Many employers will also hire people with a few tattoos but will tell you to cover it up, but in the longer run don"t expect many promotions. Many people will try to fight it by saying it goes against freedom of speech but you have to remember that you are representing the company that employs you; they want a good honest image that will promote success.

Paulette Redemske " Why tattoos cause discrimination in the workplace". n.d. Web. 16 Oct. 2013.
jpaivanhs

Con

It should not matter if one finds tattoos "ugly" or "degrading". Tattoo's are something personal; much like a memoir. These tattoos can be symbolic for a loved one passed, a reminder to one who went through a tragic event, or personal identity. It makes no sense for an employer to degrade something he or she does not understand. A woman named Kat is very open about her tattoos and is heavily covered in them. She explained her story and continued, "Being judged because I embrace my passion in life and I choose to be an individual is horrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. In my opinion, there is no difference between discrimination based on tattoos or based on race. Either way, you're being labeled unfairly" (Can't Catch a Break...). This woman has the same intelligence, responsibility, kindness, and understanding as each and every other person who applied for this job. She does not receive her jobs for the art and significance she chose to express on her body.
To add, I understand why you think that body modifications such as tattoos could downgrade business, but cultures are much different now. While there are still close minded people in the world, society is becoming a more accepting place for not only religions and races, but tattoos and other body modifications. The tattoo'd community is not just a group of punks anymore. This article points out the change of tattoo's in the world, "'We"re seeing now that people are really thinking about the kind of tattoos,' owner Valerie Costa said. 'They"re getting tattoos that mean something that they"re going to want to have in 20 years.' In addition to tattoo services, Nightwitch offers two methods of non-laser tattoo removal. Tattoo culture runs in the family for accounting major Cameron Shipman, who has remarkable 'sleeves,' meaning both arms completely tattooed from wrist to shoulder. 'My grandfather was a biker dude. My mom has a lot of tattoos as well,' Shipman said. 'I"m fortunate to have met all great tattoo artists at the conventions. And I travel. I plan on going to Japan and doing a piece there in the traditional Japanese style, and I want to go down and do the old Maori style.' While tattoo culture has become ever more popular, students who sport body art still find it wise to conceal their tattoos when looking for work. 'I can come in in a suit and a tie. You won"t see a tattoo on my entire body, and you won"t see a piercing on my entire body,' Shipman said. 'But I still have them. Does that change my personality? Does that change my references? My qualifications?'" (Keleher). Tattoo's are a huge part of today's society and it's rare to find a person without one. Why are we trying to hide something that will only grow as a statement and will not hurt a soul?

"Can't Catch a Break Because I'm Tattooed." About.com Job Searching. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2013.

Keleher, Stephen. "The Collegian " Tattoos Becoming More Accepted." News. The Collegian, 22 Mar. 2012. Web. 17 Oct.
2013
msancheznhs

Pro

Tattoos might be a figure of expression for many people but many tattoos are obtained when people are under the age of 25. Until after the age of 25 the frontal lobe isn"t fully develop which mean that it make decisions making difficult. So therefore more than half of the population getting tattoos will regret it later in life, because it"s a permanent mark and most people won"t go through the process of getting it removed. When someone gets hired to work and represent the company, and your company tells you that you can"t wear piercings or reveal your tattoos at work, they aren"t doing anything illegal. Don"t look to the legal system to protect workers who have body art. The law covers discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, age, nationality, origin and gender. But there are limits. Your company can"t use tattoos as an excuse to fire you. But on the other hand the company can, use it as an excuse not to hire you. Anastasia Sulterz a writer for the examiner writes about discrimination of tattoos in the workplace and how it"s an understandable thing. ""In a sense, covering tattoos in the workplace is understandable. Your employer wants you to represent their company in a professional manner, and if you've got naked ladies and curse words all over your arms, you're not going to be taken very seriously unless those aren't visible. So if you've got something inked on you that may be offensive to someone else, be respectful and modest. Otherwise you're going to get stereotyped, categorized into something unwanted, and you may end up being treated like dirt. Which, in the end, will be your own fault? Maybe you should have put a little more thought into your tattoos..."(Sulterz). I understand that there are many tattoos that are meaningful and I respect that, but if someone is going to get tattoo because they have every right get it, get in a place where it can be easily cover up because in the end if you want a good job to live a good and stable life you always want to have a good appearance.

Erika Icon. "Tattoos and Piercings in the Workplace." News, 22 Mar. 2012. Web. 18 Oct. 2013.

Anastasia Sulterz. " Tattoos in the workplace and Discrimination towards self-expression." News, 22 Mar. 2012. Web. 18 Oct. 2013.
jpaivanhs

Con

I could understand why one wouldn"t want to hire someone with offensive or vulgar tattoos visible to their customers. That is not the point I am trying to make though. Monica Stevens of Demand Media stated, "In some work environments, it is not advisable for employees to wear sleeveless shirts -- let alone reveal a sleeve of tattoos. Still, a 2012 study the polling organization, Harris Interactive, notes that one out of five adults in the United States sports at least one tattoo. As tattoos proliferate, some employers are becoming more accepting of body ink peeking through workplace attire"" (Stevens). It is hard to find employees today without tattoos. Some may be vulgar and some may not but I would not be surprised if in a few years, employers will be forced to hire one based on personality and experience and have to disregard any tattoos. Stevens also stated, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so it is with opinions on tattoos at work. A June 2012 survey by Captivate, a digital media firm, found that various age groups have diverging views on acceptable workplace appearance. Participants over the age of 50 were far more likely to find tattoos distracting than those in the 35-49 age range. A study released in 2010 by the Pew Research Center notes that 70 percent of those between 18- and 29-years of age who have tattoos" (Stevens). Youth today get tattoos as a norm and one would struggle to hire enough employees if they are going to discriminate against tattoos.

Stevens, Monica. "Discrimination Against Tattoos in the Workplace." Everyday Life. Global Post, 2013. Web. 24 Oct. 2013.
msancheznhs

Pro

msancheznhs forfeited this round.
jpaivanhs

Con

jpaivanhs forfeited this round.
msancheznhs

Pro

msancheznhs forfeited this round.
jpaivanhs

Con

jpaivanhs forfeited this round.
msancheznhs

Pro

msancheznhs forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Cantseeinthedark 3 years ago
Cantseeinthedark
jpaivanhsmsancheznhsTied
Reasons for voting decision: I still agree with pro but con made a better argument