Isaiah68
Noshorn

End/Reform Civil Asset Forfeiture.

Isaiah68

Pro

In a nutshell, civil forfeiture is the practice of confiscating items from people, ranging from cash, cars, even homes based on no criminal conviction or charges, merely suspicion. This practice first became widespread for use against pirates, as a way to take possession of contraband goods despite the fact that the ships" owners in many cases were located thousands of miles away and couldn"t easily be prosecuted. As is often the case, what starts out reasonable becomes a gigantic organized crime ring of criminality, particularly in a society where the rule of law no longer exists for the "elite," yet anything goes when it comes to pillaging the average citizen.

One of the major reasons these programs have become so abused is that the police departments themselves are able to keep much of the confiscated money. So they actually have a perverse incentive to steal. As might be expected, a program that is often touted as being effective against going after major drug kingpins, actually targets the poor and disenfranchised more than anything else.
Noshorn

Con

Good day to you and to all who intend to follow this debate. Before we begin; I deem it only necessary to - in order to ameliorate further misunderstandings - define several terms.

First and foremost; I assume that we will be debating in regards to the federal law of the United States of America.

Secondly; I accept the terms: "asset forfeiture", "asset seizure" and "asset confiscation" as well as any variations therein.

Finally; I will press points relating to conventions and treaties in which the United States - as a legal system - must abide by. This includes subsequent articles. Also any acts in relation to asset forfeiture.

I look forward to a pleasant debate and may the best man win.
Isaiah68

Pro

Isaiah68 forfeited this round.
Noshorn

Con

Noshorn forfeited this round.
Isaiah68

Pro

Isaiah68 forfeited this round.
Noshorn

Con

Noshorn forfeited this round.
Isaiah68

Pro

Isaiah68 forfeited this round.
Noshorn

Con

Noshorn forfeited this round.
Isaiah68

Pro

Isaiah68 forfeited this round.
Noshorn

Con

Noshorn forfeited this round.
Posted by Isaiah68 2 years ago
Isaiah68
You are right. Thank you I didn't catch that.
Posted by salam.morcos 2 years ago
salam.morcos
Are you sure you choose Con, when the proposition is "End Civil Asset Forfeiture"? I think you mean Pro.. As in you support ending it. I'm not sure.