BiggBoss
Mitraputra

Engineers joining management is a national waste ?

Mitraputra

BiggBoss

Con

according to me, i am being an engineer feel that one who is an engineer and is keen to join management course is a very good thing. An engineer who has opted for management course can never be a national waste because an engineer who has done Mba has various multitasking and management skills which can lead a person to become a excellent team leader or a worker in any MNC or company. Whereas, joining management engineer's technical skills leave behind is just a myth , rather engineers doing a MBA is nation's benefit and will enhance nation's economy too.
Mitraputra

Pro

I would like to come to the point straight away, Firstly you say that MBA makes a person a better leader now I would like to contradict you by stating the fact that there are so many world leaders who never had a MBA. Starting from ancient period Alexander the great, Chandragupta Maurya, then from the 20th century Winston Churchill or consider more contemporary leaders such as Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. So its not exactly accurate that you can be a better leader with a MBA. Leadership and management skills mostly come from experience and the personality traits. Secondly you suggest that engineers don't lose their technical skill even after getting into management, but as an engineer you are expected to know that technical knowledge requires practical work experience more than only theoretical knowledge, so if you are diverted into the management department you are bound to gradually move away from your technical skills, not instantly but with time of course.
BiggBoss

Con

BiggBoss forfeited this round.
Mitraputra

Pro

I would now like to bring to the readers notice the fact that the MBA students when they are placed MNCs they are placed irrespective of their engineering branch. Like for example a Mechanical Engineer gets placed in Google... see now what happens is his technical knowledge is compromised, and then the next thing that follows is they get out of practice. Hence I believe the engineering students must go for Masters in engineering rather than changing to Management.
I believe you must have been really busy to have forfeited this round, all the best for the next round.
BiggBoss

Con

AS Far , Pro has not given strong points that will prove that Engineers opting for MBA is not a wise move.

MY CASE :-

1.MBA AS A GENERAL DEGREE :-

Today education is growing day by day and many prefer to do their masters. According to me MBA is a general degree and there is no specific rule that only people who have done this graduation should do this. Completing engineering and then doing MBA will add more value to you career. And it will help you to be in a high designation than other graduates. And today every company need employees for management level with some technical knowledge so nothing is going to go waste.

2.PRO'S point OF waste of technical knowledge :-

Most of the technical knowledge gained by a mechanical engineer has no use in IT industry,so a mechanical engineer doing job in IT industry can also be termed as waste,but considering the fact "INTEREST" of a person depends on the stream they want to excel on.Education in any form is not a waste until one makes a mess of it.

3. MULTITASKING:-

Management is a very important part of an engineer.Now a days a company needs multitasking employee,
An employee with Engineering & Management degree can handle the both technical department and management responsibility of a company.

4. EXCELLENCE IN ATTITUDE & BEHAVIOUR

MBA is a masters which gives liberty in many ways,any individual can go for research,teaching,corporates or even for self employment.it is a degree which can be taken up by individual from any stream or background so overall it gives liberal attitude,several opportunities and broader horizon.for engineers it gives them management skills to support their technical skills to grow and take up management positions.

SO, at the end, I just want to conclude that "Engineers joining management is a national waste" rather it is important for the person as well as the nation too.

BEST OF LUCK PRO

Mitraputra

Pro

Okay now what do you mean by " pro has not given strong points..."
1) Loss of technical skills.
2) Misplacement in respect of job.
3) Leadership has hardly anything to do with MBA.
Are these not strong enough?

Completing MBA after engineering add some value, but you sacrifice your basic skills as an engineer. Is it worth that much?

Now who said anything about an IT Industry? Why would a Mechanical engineer or a Civil engineer join an IT industry, Its all mentioned by you, I never said anything like that. A mechanical engineer would join Toyota, a civil Engineer would join L & T not Cognizant or Accenture.

What on earth has Multitasking to do with MBA degree? Multitasking ability depends from person to person, and I have already mentioned that one cannot use both Engineering and management skills to ones full ability. After all we are humans and we all have our own limits.

Are you actually suggesting that ones attitude changes after studying MBA... or behavior for that matter, attitude and behavior are totally personality traits... in MBA what students actually do is Mug up before the exam and pass the exam to get the degree. What they study have no influence in their character.

You seem to have missed my whole point that one cannot have those Management skills without compromising with Technical skills, which I mentioned before in my arguments.
BiggBoss

Con

BiggBoss forfeited this round.
Mitraputra

Pro

My opponent has again forfeited the round. I have already mentioned too many reasons as to why an Engineer should not waste his/her talent by changing her stream of education and joining management. The con has forfeited two rounds hence not giving me enough argument to oppose, he hasn't provided me with one single argument that I haven't successfully opposed. So in this round I will only make a conclusion of the arguments I have provided earlier.

These have been my arguments:

1) He says that MBA makes a person a better leader now I would like to contradict him by stating the fact that there are so many world leaders who never had a MBA. Starting from ancient period Alexander the great, Chandragupta Maurya, then from the 20th century Winston Churchill or consider more contemporary leaders such as Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. So its not exactly accurate that one can be a better leader with a MBA. Leadership and management skills mostly come from experience and the personality traits.

2) He suggests that engineers don't lose their technical skill even after getting into management, but technical knowledge requires practical work experience more than only theoretical knowledge, so if one is diverted into the management department he/she is bound to gradually move away from his/her technical skills, not instantly but with time of course.

3) MBA students when they are placed MNCs they are placed irrespective of their engineering branch. Like for example a Mechanical Engineer gets placed in Google... Now what happens is their technical knowledge is compromised, and then the next thing that follows is they get out of practice. This is what can be called as misplacement in respect of job. Hence I believe the engineering students must go for Masters in engineering rather than changing to Management.

So I stand firmly on my belief that Engineering students should stay in technical branch and not shift to management.
Posted by BiggBoss 3 years ago
BiggBoss
Sorry guyzz , bcz of lack of time , i couldn't wrote for round 2, but i will definitely cover that up for ROund 3,..
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
I agree with Ragnar. If you think engineers joining management is NOT a national waste, then you should be Con, not Pro.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Welcome to the site. You may wish to add the word "not" into the resolution, because as Pro it is your job to support the resolution, not disagree with it as you currently do (the easy fix being add the word not, thereby reversing it).
Vote Placed by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
BiggBossMitraputraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited twice, and hence lost conduct. Pro made more grammar mistakes and hence lost S&G. I wonder why no one used any sources. Many of Pro's statements were quite crude and very easily refutable. But since much of Pro's premise went uncontested, I'll award 3 points to him for the same. Con did well in round 3, and might have turned the tables if he came back even for round 5. My suggestions to Con: review your arguments well after you finish typing, and DON'T ever forfeit.