kinley_cutie
lucasrererer

English Should be the Official Language of the United States

kinley_cutie

Pro

Every person is entitled to learn the language of the country that they live in. If I, being an American, were to move to Germany or Greece, I'd be expected to learn that language wouldn't I? First of all, it would make it easier on everyone that I would associate with, and second, it would be in my best interest so I can more effectively become a member of that society. Should we not have the same laws here? Soon, if we do not act now, English will not be the official language of America, but Spanish will.
I went on a trip to Europe this past May. I had a hard time learning the language, but I did get enough down to ask basic questions and respond a little. It made the trip so much more enjoyable for me, and it was easier for everyone I associated with. It was still a difficult for me, but I managed to get by, and even learn some new words while I was there. It was good for me to learn the language because, even though I wasn't moving there, I would have had serious problems communicating.
Since English is slowly becoming one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, doesn't it seem only logical that we allow people to come into our country after learning the English language.
That's why I believe that English should be the official language of the United States and we stop putting Spanish on almost every item we sell and almost every document that the states and the government makes. If they want to live here, then they should at least be willing to learn the language. It's in their best interest, and in the best interests of everyone that they would come in contact with.
lucasrererer

Con

Ok, so shall we start on where you are correct?

"Every person is entitled to learn the language of the country that they live in".
Yes, this is true, but should they be REQUIRED to?

I believe our constitution clearly states "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness", as I'm sure you have heard many times before.
Is true liberty being required to learn the language of a country just because you live in it?
No. It should be a choice.

Now, about your trip to Europe. I recently exposed myself to that nasty mess, and was much enthralled with the architecture, etc, but it really is a pit.

Now all irrelevance aside:
It might have been enjoyable for you to learn a language, but what about for everyone else?
Not everyone enjoys that.

It might be in their best interest, but why should it be MANDATED? It's their freedom to choose.
kinley_cutie

Pro

So, you're saying that because they wouldn't want to learn a new language, they shouldn't? So we are destined to live in a country in which the language is slowly changing from English to Spanish because the majority don't want to learn the language of the country they have chosen to live in. That doesn't sound like an ideal situation for anyone, either those who move into a country or those who were there to begin with.

You said that true liberty is basically being able to speak your own language. If you wanted to speak your language, do you need to move to another country? No, you don't. It's your choice to move there and for every choice there are consequences. The consequence of choosing to live in America is learning the language.

Not everyone has to enjoy learning a new language. I go to school. I don't enjoy it, but if I want to get ahead in life, and want to continue with my education making life better for me and for my posterity. We all do things we don't want to, but does that mean that we shouldn't have to do it? Since I don't enjoy going to school everyday and furthering my education, then I shouldn't have to do it, even though it would benefit society? I don't see why that would be good for anyone.
lucasrererer

Con

You say that English should be the official language, but that would be FORCING people to learn English, as opposed to giving them the option.

Which is what America was founded on, and continues to be today.

This is my arguement:

It should not be a mandate, it should be a choice.

I understand where you are coming from, but you have to understand that it should not be absolutely necessary to know english here. After all, we are a melting pot of all cultures, not an anglo saxon pit.
kinley_cutie

Pro

So, you're basically saying that people can have the choice to learn a language and that we should baby them and coddle them? That's not what America was founded on. We don't have to do that for them. They should take the initiative. It's not the government's responsibility to do something about it if the people aren't willing to do something about it first.

One quote by our nation's 26th president, Theodore Roosevelt, says it all, "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country." If one of the presidents believed that, doesn't it show us that it's what should happen? Should we sit around letting them waste our tax dollars on welfare because they moved to this country, not willing to learn the language to help them get ahead and therefore choosing to remain in poverty? If that's what America was founded on, then I want nothing to do with the United States.

Why are they even coming to the United States? You never addressed that question, and since I know that your answer will be something along the lines of, "because they want to escape the bad things that are happening to them in their country." or "they want to become an American citizen and follow their American Dream." Is sitting in poverty and squalor, which is what happens to most people who don't speak English and come to live here, the American Dream? No, it's not. And our country is all about helping people, but when we have to help the people who, the majority of the time, won't help themselves? That's just wasting American citizens' tax dollars and they shouldn't be here if they aren't willing to pay the price, which is learn the language.

So yes, I think that it should be mandated for the good of everyone, those moving in, and those who are already here. We aren't all Anglo-Saxon. In case you haven't noticed, we are nicely blended with many cultures and many races, but for any country to stand for a long period of time, and I mean longer than the 250 years or so that America has been around, then the people of the country NEED to speak a common language. It's the only way that America will really be a United States. United under one flag, one government, one language.
lucasrererer

Con

1. That is a quite inaccurate assessment of the idea I was wishing to convey.
I was saying it should be the choice of the person, not the government, to decide what language a person should or should not speak. And yes, this is what was America was founded on. The freedom.

2.Haha. I'm sorry, but that statement was completely flawed. You basically just told me that every president in history is correct, despite the fact that they contradict themselves, lie, and are involved in numerous scandals continuously. I tend to not go with that. We should not do everything the president says.

There should be no welfare in the first place, but that is not the debate. And just so you know, I've worked in construction in the past, and the immigrants there work much harder than most Americans, and the majority of people on welfare(almost 75%) are black.

3. You just attacked immigrants again.
You do understand that somewhere along the line, your family immigrated from europe, correct?

They come to the United States for a better life. And once again, to debunk your theory, most immigrants are VERY hard working.

4. I agree with the whole "united" theory. But even so, I am still not understanding why I should take away someone elses freedom.

My points stand-
Immigrants bring much color and value to this country, along with a tremendous work ethic, accepting many of the jobs Americans are too lazy to do themselves.

Immigrants in general are very hard working.

The basis of America is the freedom to choose.
Posted by HatedvsLoved 9 years ago
HatedvsLoved
Our national language is English, not Spanish. When I spent a month in Romania last summer, I had to learn romaneste. My aunt who lives in Germany has to speak German because that is the national language. If people don't want to learn the national language, then get the hell out of here.
Posted by cloppbeast 9 years ago
cloppbeast
//I believe our constitution clearly states "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness"//

Actually, the quote in which you were referring was written in the Declaration of Independance, not the Constitution.
Posted by Logos 9 years ago
Logos
By Pro's argument in round three, everyone should speak one language. And there should only be one government. I'm all for easing communication, and my Spanish is a spectacular failure, but I don't want the government telling me what language to speak. Besides, if there were "one" language, it would either be Spanish (as decided by vote) or English (decided by totalitarian decree). Neither are good for a large number of people.

"If one of the presidents believed that, doesn't it show us that it's what should happen?"
?????????
Posted by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
there is no doubt kinley cutie is correct on this one.....this is america.....is there really more to be said afterthat?? not at all
Vote Placed by iloveher666 9 years ago
iloveher666
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by kinley_cutie 9 years ago
kinley_cutie
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by wedoada 9 years ago
wedoada
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by paul_tigger 9 years ago
paul_tigger
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by Zaglossus 9 years ago
Zaglossus
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by Novus.Questus 9 years ago
Novus.Questus
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by hellomynameisdebate 9 years ago
hellomynameisdebate
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by SacKings384 9 years ago
SacKings384
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied
Vote Placed by cloppbeast 9 years ago
cloppbeast
kinley_cutielucasrerererTied