EmileOpperman
PatriotPerson

English does not enrich other languages

PatriotPerson

EmileOpperman

Pro

English is most likely the most popular language in the entire world. It is the most used language in bossiness and you are almost certain to meet a English speaking person where ever you go.
But English does not really do anything to other languages except for murdering them. English smothers the life out of other languages because it does not offer other languages to grow and expand in the its presence.
I am not saying English must die or go anyplace. We simply need to ask ourselves, is this language we call our mother tongue really as enriching to other, smaller languages (examples: Afrikaans, Maori)
I live in South Africa and in the news at the moment is that our top universities are taking away more and more faculties presented in any of our eleven official languages EXCEPT for English - which in fact is getting more and more faculties and classes being presented in it. Now if a language does not enjoy the glory of being taught in, how will that language ever survive?
Please keep in mind I do no have anything against English speaking people - I just don't agree with the fact that it comes in and tramples on all the rest!
PatriotPerson

Con

Most of Pro's claims, if not all. are simply outrageous. There are many Spanish-Speakers in the USA alone, and English is not even the world's most popular language, Mandarin is (http://en.wikipedia.org...).

And plus, many other languages have spread throughout the world. From the same source, Mandarin is first, Spanish second, and English third. It is outrageous to claim that English does not do anything to languages murder them. I ask pro, if that is true, why are there many classes that offer languages in the USA, the country with the most English-speaking population?

Where I live, there are two major high schools. Those high schools alone offer classes for German, French, Spanish, Chinese, and Italian.
EmileOpperman

Pro

Con is missing the point. Of course the USA has classes in English because it is an ENGLISH country!
I ask con to do some research on other THIRD WORLD countries. He will see that what one sees there is the absolute opposite.

English does not offer any other language to grow and develop. I ask con to enlighten me in his seeing that English actually helps other languages develop.
PatriotPerson

Con

No Pro, you are the one missing the point. What I was clearly saying is that there are many classes in the USA that TEACH you other languages. And if we don't help other languages, why do we have such a large Spanish-speaking population? Why do other English-speaking countries have high populations of other language-speakers? (Take Canada for example, there the French population is very high).
EmileOpperman

Pro

Con we must compare apples with apples. We must be realistic in facing the fact that if Spanish be the worlds most spoken language that it can sustain and survive the English wrath.
I urge con to take a gander at smaller language that face a immense struggle in staying afloat in the fast ocean of English!
Most English countries have a secondary STRONG language, such as French or Spanish, thus there is no threat because those languages have already developed and evolved.
I ask con to think on the fact that if two random strangers were to meet, what language they would both start speaking first - most likely non other than the dominant English!
PatriotPerson

Con

I'm sorry, but Spanish has been spoken for thousands of years, the same with English. If your claims are true, Spanish would have already fallen under the "wrath" of English speakers. And you obviously care about English enough, as you obviously know it fluently.
Countries can speak their own languages, there is nothing at all wrong with that. English just has the luck to be wide-spread. And, like I said before, there are more people that speak Mandarin and Spanish than English.
About the two strangers meeting, it depends on what COUNTRY they're in! Can't you realize that?! Here's some examples:
-If an American meets an American in the USA, they will be speaking English.
-If a Mexican meets a Mexican in Mexico, they will be speaking Spanish.
-If a Frenchman meets a Frenchman in France, they will be speaking French.
-If a Russian meets a Russian in Russia, they will be speaking Russian.
-If an Italian meets an Italian in Italy, they will be speaking Italian.
You get the point.
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 3 years ago
1Historygenius
EmileOppermanPatriotPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made several mistakes. Con met his BoP.
Vote Placed by PotBelliedGeek 3 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
EmileOppermanPatriotPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros arguments were based entirely on conjecture. He did not even read cons arguments clearly.
Vote Placed by TeaPartyAtheist 3 years ago
TeaPartyAtheist
EmileOppermanPatriotPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate could have been improved by arguing that languages evolve through other languages. I say this as someone whose first language is English, but who now also speaks Spanish fluently and can translate Latin.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
EmileOppermanPatriotPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spelling and grammar to con. I noticed a few mistakes spelling wise by pro. Sources to con since he was the only one to use a source. Arguments to con since his were backed by a source.