imsmarterthanyou98
GeneticMutation

English essay contest, Describe what is most important to you and why?

imsmarterthanyou98

imsmarterthanyou98

Pro

Fairly self explainable i assume lol.

Write an essay about that which is most important to you and why.

Judges, please value substance over grammer.

THanks :)

Let's have fun :D Good luck to my opponent.

First round acceptance.
GeneticMutation

Con

There are two general aspects of information- fact and opinion. Facts are undebatable, whereas opinions can be manipulated, changed, and argued. The most important thing to anyone and everyone differs greatly from person to person, and while opinions can be changed, I would not, in this writing, argue that my 'most important' aspect of life is dominant, that it is the 'best' and somehow better than others' most important thing. So, with all efforts not to make my argument seem like what has been aforementioned, I would say that the most relevant thing in my life is, or rather are, the arts.
Now, I have recognized that the term 'arts' is quite vague and others may not specifically understand what I am referring to. To clarify, what I meant when I said 'arts' were skills like writing, music, paints, drawing, etc. Everything from The Great Gatsby, a great American Literature, to a song like Jesus of Suburbia. This umbrella term can also refer to dancing and other stunts of the sort, but what I have specifically mentioned are the things that I think are the most important in my life. This is because they can portray many diverse cultures, emotions, morals, and empirical knowledge can be shared in the form of the arts. Anyone can create it, and their works are a shadow of themselves. Edgar Allan Poe's depiction of horror and murder show his true nature, the monster that dwelled inside of himself.
Furthermore, the arts are something that does not only show others' real emotions, but it is a display of the past for the future to evaluate. One day hundreds of years of now, all of the technology we have developed will be mere dust in the wake of war. Hopefully, people that have yet to been born will discover our good intentions and exceptional technology. We will be seen again, not from our silent corpses, but by our art.
Finally, I would like to claim that arts are in no way a rare or peculiar thing. They have been practiced since the dawn of humanity, and continue to now.
imsmarterthanyou98

Pro

“Love” a deceivingly simple four letter word comprising the ethos of humanity. Yet it’s meaning ineffable. The unparalleled bliss and unfathomable euphoria may only be experienced, language is not worthy of properly expressing the terminus of grandiosity and magnificence created by the transcendental sensation named “love”. Consequentially words are inadequate to encapsulate the interminable profundity of despair, anguish and incorporeal agony that the risk of love may torment us with. Ironically, love exemplifies both the highest peak and lowest valley in the landscape of possible experiences. “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...” – Charles Dickens. The unquantifiable supremacy of love, above all else, flows from its essential nature in humanity. Love is the necessary moral foundation for humanity. Love’s intrinsic goodness empowers society, it is why we care for one another, it is why we work together, it is why we exist. Our existence is owed to this instantaneous yet incommunicable bond between a mother and a child. It is called love. Love is worth living and dying for. It is what has captivated poets, philosophers and romantics throughout millennia. It is a risk, one may either fall victim to its perils or reap the bounties aforementioned. Love is a risk worth taking regardless. However, to love takes courage. The possibility of getting hurt must be blissfully ignored. Love is dauntless. Love is oblivious. Love is passionately blind. Love is to me is of paramount importance.

GeneticMutation

Con

GeneticMutation forfeited this round.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
Love... is such an overrated answer...
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
imsmarterthanyou98GeneticMutationTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's conduct was dreadful in that forfeited a round and he disobeyed the round rules, so conduct must go to Pro. However, I found the content of Con's work more sophisticated and more powerful.
Vote Placed by TF2PRO 2 years ago
TF2PRO
imsmarterthanyou98GeneticMutationTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con broke rules twice, Furthermore Pro had far superior writing his ability to convey a concept so profoundly and effectively is outstanding. Pro's writing is of incredibly high quality and deserves significant recognition.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
imsmarterthanyou98GeneticMutationTied
Reasons for voting decision: I basically judge this on the criteria of what I consider to make a good essay. With regards to diction, I feel Pro has the better of the two. With regards to structure, Con's is superior, breaking down into paragraphs and having a distinctive introduction (if not exactly the correct structure). In terms of the descriptive nature of each, Pro showcases a better concept of how to explain what he values most. In terms of examples, Con is ahead, providing more support for why he finds it most important. Finally, I assess the depth of each, and while both debaters express depth in their essays, only Con's attempts to give some background to what the best should mean to me and other readers. Therefore, I award him arguments. However, I award Pro both conduct and S&G, since Con violated conduct twice - once by forfeiting, and once by posting in the first round instead of accepting, as Pro stated in R1.