rethaluious
Russia_The_almighty

English is a weird, crazy, and funny language.

Started: 2/21/2015 Category: Funny

rethaluious

Pro

I thought this would make a very interesting topic.

Anyway, accept this debate only if you let me know that you want to take it. But if you do without permission, I'll close this debate immediately. Now I won't put some elo restrictions to make accepting impossible because that'll sound like I'm looking for someone experienced to debate with. Actually I'm not that experienced myself.

Con's arguments should prove that English isn't actually weird or crazy.

Expect some poem-like kind of arguments from my side though this isn't that kind of debate. Also, accepting this means that you have agreed to the terms and conditions which are:

1.Trolling around wouldn't put you in a good position (I might just cancel everything if you did)

2. Forfeits are not allowed or you lose by default.

3. This round only needs accepting,nothing else.

4. 4th round means final arguments, and then include a conclusion.

Other than that, have fun.

There would be a total of 4 rounds and each round has a 10,000 character argument max. Each side would have 48 hours to argue.

Russia_The_almighty

Con

I accept your challenge an will be supporting English is not weird and/or funny.
rethaluious

Pro

I thank Russia_the_Almighty for taking this up.

______________

I live in Southeast Asia so it's only our second language, but thanks to the movies and books, I can speak and read fluently.

We all know that English is the Universal Language, meaning everywhere you go, you can at least talk to people with a bit of English even if it's not grammatically correct.

We'll begin with box, and the plural is boxes, b
ut the plural of ox is oxen, not oxes. Then one fowl is goose, but two are called geese, yet the plural of moose should never be meese. You may find a lone mouse or a whole lot of mice, but the plural of house is houses, not hice. If the plural of man is always called men, why shouldn't the plural of pan be pen? The cow in the plural may be cows or kine, but the plural of vow is vows, not vine. And I speak of a foot, and you show me your feet, but I give a boot... would a pair be beet? If one is a tooth, and a whole set is teeth, why shouldn't the plural of booth be beeth? If the singular is this, and the plural is these, why shouldn't the plural of kiss be kese? Then one may be that, and three be those, yet the plural of hat would never be hose. We speak of a brother, and also of brethren, but though we say mother, we never say methren. The masculine pronouns are he, his and him, but imagine the feminine she, shis, and shim.

So our English, I think you will agree, is the trickiest language you ever did see.

_______________

http://www.english-zone.com...

https://www.englishforums.com...

This is pretty short, I know. This is just the opening arguments so don't worry about it. There's a lot going on in my mind right now and they're scattered so I sourced this first round of arguments. Originally, this was written in a poem kind of structure but I edited it and made in a paragraph instead. I just thought that many would confuse this as a poem debate which isn't true.

In the next round I'd probably source a few, but the rest would come from me.

Your turn, con!

Russia_The_almighty

Con

For now good job with previous arguments. Now on to several points.
1. If the plural of moose was meese I would think English is a weird language. Honestly, saying meese instead of there are several moose out there. I have no problem thinking that moose is grammarly correct instead of meese. Think of saying there are so many sheeps out there instead of saying there are so many sheep out there.
2.Some of the English has changed making what it is today. Why you ask? If a language doesn't change over the years it will become dead like Latin and similar to what's happening to Greek. Latin made new languages basically like English, French, Spanish, but due to decline and such it is now dead.
http://www.innovateus.net...
3. Plural of boot wouldn't be beet because there already is a food, beets, and sounds like beat so another thing similar might cause confusion. Their, there, and they're you say all sound the same, but are all spelled differently. The plural of this is these makes sense because thisses would just make it more odd. Kiss would't be kese like this because unlike this it has TWO s at the end instead one.
4. A reason that words like methren doesn't exist is because when it see it just doesn't look right or sound right. Me-thren?
Most of the words like the plural of booth is not beeth is because really it doesn't look right while tooth to be teeth actually sounds correct.
5. What is said about feminine is not limited to english alone. In a Spanish sentence such as " El chico come tacos. When the feminine is "La chica come taco. When another article is un, or una, or unos, or unas. Look at the verb ser in Spanish and lets compare it with comer when conjugating.
Ser-to be
Comer-to eat

Yo soy- I am
Yo como- I eat

T" eres- Yo are
T" comes- You eat

El/Ella es- He/she is
El/Ella come-He/she eats

Usted es-you (formal(used when talking to someone older or with higher authority than you) are.
Usted come- You(formal) eat

Nosotros/nosotras somos- We are
Nosotras/nosotras comemos- We eat

Ellos/Ellas son-They(all female for ellas, or at least one male in a group for ellos) are
Ellos/Ellas comen- They eat

Ustedes son-You(group formal) son
Ustedes comen-They(group formal) eat

Vosotros/vosotras sois- You guys are
Vosotros/vosotras com"is- You guys eat

http://education-portal.com...

So as you can see Spanish has oddities also. Every language has oddities.
One time at a dinner party when my grandma new mostly French, but little English. She said something like i need a fourche(sounded like forshet). Which is where French in some cases shouldn't be said anywhere. If every odd language was dead we wouldn't have any languages or we would have like 1 or very few. I await your rebuttal. We likely wouldn't be having this debate without English :)
rethaluious

Pro

Rebuttals:

If the plural of goose is geese then moose should probably be meese because most of the words that rhyme with it applies the same general idea. Which only makes it really complicated when it comes to some who are new to English. I was the same then, thinking, "man=men, woman=women, pan=pen?". There are many rules that should be applied when it comes to plural form.

My opponent here showed that English changes over time like any other languages out there. Apologies, but I'd like to know what this has to do with our main topic.

"Plural of boot wouldn't be beet because there already is a food, beets, and sounds like beat so another thing similar might cause confusion. Their, there, and they're you say all sound the same, but are all spelled differently. The plural of this is these makes sense because thisses would just make it more odd. Kiss would't be kese like this because unlike this it has TWO s at the end instead one."

Boot wouldn't be beet, because the creator/s or inventor/s of this language thought it would be better (or is it?) Their, there, they're are pronounced the same way as the other. Thanks, that adds it to my list.

I wouldn't make a rebuttal out of the things about "Spanish is also quite odd" in your argument because I totally agree. Languages have their weird sides in them. But that's out of the box.

You might confuse me as someone who hates English right now, Con. You are mistaken. I love the way how this language is made. The people who made it must be really fun.

How is English not funny? In what way, exactly? I'm seeking the answers to this with Con's help, but it seems like I don't have the answers yet.

To prove my side thoroughly, I would like to elaborate more of it.

I wonder why there is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. (Also cranberries, strawberries and blackberries aren't real berries, but bananas are.)
Cheese isn't the plural of choose.
If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?

In what language do people recite at a play, and play at a recital?
Ship by truck, and send cargo by ship?
We have noses that run and feet that smell, now that's real crazy.
Park on driveways and drive on parkways. Why and how did this happen?

Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.
We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham?
How can the weather be hot as hell one day and can also be cold as hell?
When a house burns up, it actually burns down.

You fill in a form by filling it out, and an alarm clock goes off by going on. Um, what?
When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.
And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it?
How can 'slim chance and a fat chance' be the same, while ' wise man and a wise guy' are opposites?
English muffins were not invented in England or French fries in France. I was told that these are named after their inventors. Quite the irony, isn't it?

If Dad is Pop, how come Mom isn't Mop? Or could Mom be Mad? If you have a rough cough, climbing can be tough when going through the bough on a tree. Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend?

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race.
Russia_The_almighty

Con

I laughed at how funny you made round three. Really it's hard to compete, with what you said the last round. Mom isn't mop because usually everywhere the first words a baby can say is some form of mom as either mommy, ma, mama,mom. Weird-something supernatural,or uncanny.
http://dictionary.reference.com...
supernatural-strange,mysterious
http://dictionary.reference.com...
strange-something extraordinary,unusual
http://dictionary.reference.com...

If weird means uncanny, uncanny means strange and strange means unusual or extraordinary, then English isn't weird if every language is weird because strange means out of the ordinary. If every language is weird that's not out of the ordinary.
When has someone ever said cold as hell? I've only heard hot as hell.
Besides that I can't rebut much since most of what you said is true.
rethaluious

Pro

I'm glad I made my adversary laugh. This means that we have achieved "Other than that, have fun." that I stated on the first round.

This debate is actually intended to make one laugh, or grin, at least. Winning isn't my priority but it would be great if I actually will.

"If weird means uncanny, uncanny means strange and strange means unusual or extraordinary, then English isn't weird if every language is weird because strange means out of the ordinary. If every language is weird that's not out of the ordinary."

English is strange if strange is equal to unusual and unusual means extraordinary. It's the only Universal Language today. Thus, we can say that it's really extraordinary.

In what language do you see something like these?
Cough
Plough
Through
Tough
Though

They have the same "ough" letters at the end, but pronounce these words differently from each other.

Let's not forget the Phrasal Verbs here.
Throw up
Throw down
Throw out
Throw in

Make over
Make up
Make out

Talk over
Talk into
Talk down
Talk up
Talk out

What?!

And they all mean completely different things.

"When has someone ever said cold as hell? I've only heard hot as hell.

There's 7.125 billion (as of 2013) in the whole world, and I'm sure 1/3 of us said it.

Anyway, here's a proof: https://answers.yahoo.com...

___

Again, huge thanks to Russia_The_Almighty for accepting this challenge.

Source: watch?v=7G0Ecrconak

Russia_The_almighty

Con

'Merica! We speak English and native speakers easily comprehend. In Soviet Russia its hard to speak English. I got nothing else to say.
Posted by Russia_The_almighty 2 years ago
Russia_The_almighty
for some reason that " next to "t" should really be a u with an accent mark
Russia_The_almighty
One thing Russia does and same with me is to never give up. Napoleon had attacked with a massive army to take over Russia, Russia never gave up and was victorious. Same with Hitler in World war 2 and Hitler's grand army was murdered at Moscow, Stalingrad, and Kursk. In World War 1, we had a bad leader, besides that, we never gave up.
Posted by Naweedyosofi 2 years ago
Naweedyosofi
Wow Rethaluios (Pro) is the best, she has explained very well, if i was in the con i'd accept her arguments :P
Good luck to both of you!
Russia_The_almighty
I'll debate this.